The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 1980 Rolex (actually Kentucky Horse Trials then)

I've been cleaning out drawers in an effort to dampen some of the clutter in my house and came across the program for the 1980 Kentucky Horse Trials--my how things have changed!

The program is folded--4 1/2' x 7"--the only color is on the covers (inside has Sprendthrift & Affirmed, Caro Gallant Man, Majestic Prince, Nashua Seattle Slew, Raise a Native were all standing!

It was run May 30-June 1st.

A total of 45 horses entered the Advanced division--Torrance Watkins rode the fabulous mare Poltroon to win with a 42.8 in dressage. Other legends included Better and Better, The Grey Goose, Laurenson, Carawich, Gold Chip among others.

There were 56 Prelim horses entered.

First place in the Advanced 3 day was worth a whopping $300 plus a ribbon.

First place in Prelim was worth $200 and a ribbon.

Prize money was paid to 4th ($50).

It was run as a modified 3 day, which ran steeplechase
    Advanced--2880 M @ 690 MPM for an optimum of 4 min 10 Sec

Prelim--2880 M @ 640 MPM for an optimum of 4 min 30 Sec.

There was a 40 minute hold between B & D.

Cross country was
    Advanced--5950 M @ 550 MPM, 10 Min 49 Sec

Prelim 4160 @ 520 MPM, 8 min 0 Sec.

A picture I took during dressage shows stands about 6 rows high and and empty seats.

Yay Poltroon!

BTW, I've been looking online for a picture of her, with no luck. Anyone know of one somewhere?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I've a couple pictures of Poltroon, if you'd like to see them. One is from the 1976 National Jr. 3-Day Championships at Wayne (IL) -- Torrance Watkins is not riding Poltroon then, don't know who is riding. And the other is from the 1980 Open Intermediate at Ship's Quarters, where Torrance is riding Poltroon.

Have pictures of others at Ship's Quarters, and many years of Kentucky's events (not 1980, but 1978 (World Championships -- Torrance is riding Red's Door), and probably from 1983 on).

Looking at old photos and articles brings back good memories of eventing from days gone by....

I'd love to see them. My daughter needs to see pictures of the original.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Hey LAZ, you'll find my name in there in the prelim modified 3 day. Just look for the horse!

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Yay Poltroon!

BTW, I've been looking online for a picture of her, with no luck. Anyone know of one somewhere?
    http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...tures/12a5.jpg

I took this I believe in 1986. It is her owner, Mrs. Diane Marra, with her in the pasture near Unionville, PA, on her farm, after her 2nd foal was weaned I believe. Poltroon loved Diane.

There are some more pix from that era here: http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...nt%20Pictures/

If Mrs. Marra had her in 1976, the rider at the National Junior Championship may have been her daughter, but I'm not sure she had her then. Mrs. Marra imported her for foxhunting for herself from Ireland and they knew she had a good jump in her. It's a bit hazy, tho. I'm trying to remember.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...tures/12a5.jpg

I took this I believe in 1986. It is her owner, Mrs. Diane Marra, with her in the pasture near Unionville, PA, on her farm, after her 2nd foal was weaned I believe. Poltroon loved Diane.

There are some more pix from that era here: http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...nt%20Pictures/

If Mrs. Marra had her in 1976, the rider at the National Junior Championship may have been her daughter, but I'm not sure she had her then. Mrs. Marra imported her for foxhunting for herself from Ireland and they knew she had a good jump in her. It's a bit hazy, tho. I'm trying to remember.
    I believe you are correct - it wasn't Torrance riding in the Jr. Championships in '76, and it may have been Mrs. Marra's daughter whose name I can't remember.

Kim Marra rode Poltroon before Torrance did, I`m pretty sure.

Glenn Graetz rode Poltroon during that timeframe too.

If my memory is correct Kim Marra did ride Poltroon up to Prelim. She wrote a lovely article about how Poltroon was such a special horse with the ability to go higher than Prelim. However Kim was not comfortable/ready to advance so they sent her to Torrance.
    I remember thinking what a well grounded, honest, thoughtful young lady Kim was. And how fortunate "we" were to have such a young person involved in our sport and life.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I think I attended that year too! Wasn't the preliminary division won by a horse named "The Queen's Daughter"? I always loved that name because her barn name was Princess. I think her rider was Laural Dugan perhaps?

I remember watching Mike Plumb being interviewed under a tree behind the dressage stands. Wasn't that the year Bruce scratched Might Tango at the last minute because "he popped a splint." (That's what he was telling someone as I was standing nearby gobsmacked that I was actually listening to BD.)

Poltroon's dressage was literally breathtaking. I remember feeling like she was riding right on the edge.

I have a whole stack of photos stashed somewhere...

The Queen's Daughter was ridden by Laurel Dungan.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I'd love to see them. My daughter needs to see pictures of the original.
    Here you go. The b&w one is from the 1976 Ntl Jr 3-Day championships in Wayne (IL). The color one is from the OI at Ship's Quarters in 1980.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...oltroon004.jpg

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...oltroon001.jpg

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by arabianeventing View Post
    Here you go. The b&w one is from the 1976 Ntl Jr 3-Day championships in Wayne (IL). The color one is from the OI at Ship's Quarters in 1980.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...oltroon004.jpg

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...oltroon001.jpg

Enjoy!
    And I'm pretty sure the rider in the b and w is Glenn Graetz (though I'm not sure Glenn was his first name. Does anyone remember?) The rider at Ship's Quarters looks like Torrance.

Thanks!!! It is wonderful to see pictures of her again.

A few montha ago I was cleaning up our basement and came across old issues (from the mid 80's)of the USEA Eventing News and The Dressage and CT Magazine. Love to look at those old photos and see how things have changed.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.