The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Becoming a Working Student for Florida Winter Circuit

I was wondering if you guys could explain the job of a working student to me and how I could go about finding a trainer to work for. I want to stay in Florida for a month, without a horse.

Here is a little back round info: I have been showing in the 3'6" divisions for almost 5 years and have gone to all of the equitation finals multiple times, mostly on green horses. I have never had a groom and I ride absolutely everything. I can braid really well too. I am a junior in high school and I would have to go to school down there.

What kind of jobs would I be doing? Would I be payed or would it be a work to ride deal? Is it hard to go to school and work?

I have a couple of trainers in mind that know me, but if you guys know of any other trainers showing at WEF or Ocala that would be great! Hopefully these questions don't sound obvious, sorry if they do.

Smile Try this website....

www.wellington-wef.com
    It has kind of changed the format (I liked it better as it was before...) but under classifieds you can post or read if anyone needs help or a rider. Usually everybody showing there posts there...
    Good Luck!
    Viv
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York

I *almost* did that this year. Here's what I ran into:

Some may not apply, but I'll cover all the bases mentioned to me when I was contemplating it.

1. Most people won't want you for a month. And even if this will take you, you won't be worth enough to them that it won't cost you any money. You definitely wouldn't be earning money--you never are in a WS situation.

2. School.
    *For me, I am leaving for a semester abroad in march. I felt like the time from now until then would be a waste if I just stayed at my school and took classes in things I would never receive a final grade on.
    *You can't attend a day school and have a live-in working student position
    -how will you get to school?
    -you won't have enough time to work between the school day and homework, you'll miss all of the important parts of the day
    -This may or may not apply, but if your home school's curriculum doesn't match with the school you plan on attending, which it most likely won't, you won't have any productive learning time in one month, and you will miss out on important aspects of cumulative subjects.

Sorry to be a downer, but you really can't go to florida for a month as a working student.
    "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
    "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

A month is difficult but not impossible. Making some basic assumptions:
    1, Your school has signed off on this and thus you are available to work fulltime while in Florida - if you can't be available fulltime (which for most working students looks like as early as 4am and through the day until 7 or 8 at night) then you are not likely to be of much help
    2. You are totally prepared to groom for multiple horses - from feeding, watering and ,mucking through lunging and getting them ready and bringing them to the ring and then all the work that goes after showing including wrapping etc
    3. As you said, you know some trainers that might wokr with you and/or your current trainer is willing to hook you up with someone

Expect to work harder than you thought possible for longer hours and with less reward than you might expect = especially if you are hopeful of lessoning, riding or showing (because that will be the compensation)

Its possible its been done and it is worth it in many cases - make sure that you understand the deal going in and that it makes sense in terms of learning/riding/exposure for you

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by neigh.neigh View Post
    I was wondering if you guys could explain the job of a working student to me and how I could go about finding a trainer to work for. I want to stay in Florida for a month, without a horse.

Here is a little back round info: I have been showing in the 3'6" divisions for almost 5 years and have gone to all of the equitation finals multiple times, mostly on green horses. I have never had a groom and I ride absolutely everything. I can braid really well too. I am a junior in high school and I would have to go to school down there.

What kind of jobs would I be doing? Would I be payed or would it be a work to ride deal? Is it hard to go to school and work?

I have a couple of trainers in mind that know me, but if you guys know of any other trainers showing at WEF or Ocala that would be great! Hopefully these questions don't sound obvious, sorry if they do.
    Working students = unpaid grooms, but with the possibility of getting lessons (or at least someone paying attention while you hack a sale horse or one for a customer.)

I cannot imagine there would be any way to be a working student at a busy show like WEF and carry a normal courseload. Working students start with the grooms (early AM) work all day and will frequently do night check (late PM.)

The duties will vary somewhat by barn, but generally a working student would be expected to do all the usual chores (mucking, grooming, feeding, turn out or handwalk, tack and untack for the trainer, do laundry, clean tack, keep the aisles and tack stalls tidy, etc.) It is typical to get lessons as the main compensation - but at a busy horseshow, it would be unrealistic to expect the trainer's primary attention - which will be on customers. "Lessons" could easily wind up being a few comments here or there as you hack a sales horse, while the trainer rides another one nearby. They might also be fabulous, dedicated lessons where you learn a lot - but that is the exception, not the rule. It is quite unlikely that there would be an opportunity to show.

If you have never actually worked as a groom, you will be of limited use as a working student, I'm afraid. If you braid really well, that actually might be a better route to take if you can hire on with a regular braider who needs an extra pair of hands.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Will people even hire High School students as a WS at WEF? WEF is pretty busy and I highly doubt you're gonna be able to do high school AND work for someone showing. Like others have suggested, as a WS you're job will pretty much be 24/7.
    To the OP....I'd wait til you are out of high school to pursue a working student position. In the meantime, gain more experience locally by braiding for shows in your area or working weekends or evenings at a barn nearby. Get your education underway and then focus on maybe getting a WS position somewhere at WEF.

yes, Jr in high school is awfully young. If it were my kid, no way, Jose.

(and everything that jse said...)

I don't want to come off as too much of a downer but...

Usually, you won't get offered anything at a top show circuit like this unless they know you well and have known you for awhile. Fact most come out of the trainers program at the home barn and travel with them all year.

Most of the barns already have their working students well set and already working with the show horses that will be going...and some barns are already packing the trailers.

Even if there were openings for this? It would be full time only-they need the most help weekdays 7am to 4pm.

Now, you might be able to snag a paid groom position because somebody always needs one but, again, it's full time. Plus, if somebody quits mid circuit? Often a good reason-might be somebody you don't want to work for.

Anyway...this type circuit is usually top barns and they have full time adult Pro help in all positions and only use W/S that travel with them all year.

Ask your own trainer first to see if you can't dig something up. Just going in cold turkey and asking is not going to get you anything, I'm afraid.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.