The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Who else is out having fun in the snow?

We have about 18-20" of snow on our farm, so my friend and I took our usually-kinda-prissy show hunters out into the big field and had some fun with them!! We let them run and play and I think it was great for everybody to get out of the ring and just have fun. Someone asked me if I was afraid they might get hurt---but you know, any of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow, and I think it's great to cut loose and just have fun with your horses. Anyone else having a great time with their ponies in the snow? What are you doing with them?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...atiefrank2.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...atiefrank3.jpg

He hasn't forgotten his racehorse days!!! That boy can FLY http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...horsesharp.jpg
    Katie Gardner ~ Otteridge Farm
    Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Otteri...12757628746926

I wish we had snow. Looks like fun! I love to go walk around bareback.

Your horse is gorgeous! I wanted to take mine out today but didn't get a chance to. I probably will tomorrow!

I spent my childhood hacking my show hunter everywhere - on the trail, on the mountain, everywhere - it's good for them to get out of the ring! I only rode in the ring 1x/week (during my lesson) - the rest of the time...I was a heathen!

I'm having fun! In the indoor.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Snow can actually be pretty good for their tendons!
    We did NOT have fun in this mess today. Have a 2WD vehicle and had to be pulled out 3 times! Thank goodness my parents have a 4WD....we had to borrow their truck to get from point A to point B.

I am above mentioned friend! It was a blast. I had never ridden in the snow, and my mother FREAKED when she found I would be riding around in deep snow on my 16yo hunter. Honestly, he LOVED it! He was so good!
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Love the galloping pic! I love riding in the snow... mostly because it means a soft landing if we have too much fun. d; Bareback trail rides in the snow are fabulous. I'm looking forward to when I move my horse next month to a new barn, where we can trail ride over to my lesson barn for my weekly group lesson... it will be fun having that quiet morning time in the snowy woods with him before and after work time.

Haven't gotten to ride in the snow yet this year... not enough snow where he's been stabled, plus hunting season... but normally it's a lot of fun!

It was so much fun!

And since PinkMe found the thread, here's her and her pony, too!
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2.../lizzpter2.jpg
    Katie Gardner ~ Otteridge Farm
    Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Otteri...12757628746926

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Looks like you guys had a blast! I'm planning to take mine out tomorrow.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Good for you girls for taking a ride in the snow. I don't think I would have galloped but I understand why. It's a blast and you're young and carefree. LOL

I rode my 4 year old bareback today (for the first time ever) and went for a trail ride in the snow. It was so beautiful out there! He was so calm and brave about the whole thing - just plowed through the drifts like he's been doing it his whole life.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

I love riding in the snow. I've never had any problems with soundness issues, as long as the ground is now frozen/slick, and especially when it's really cold and the snow is good powder. My old guy loves it. we went out in it last week and as soon as I put on my leg he jumped into a canter. We went out in it again on Fri, bareback with a halter and lead, schooled some leg yields and shoulder in, and I decided to let him canter a bit. Long story short, my 20 yr old gelding bucked me off! He was feeling his oats that day, lol
    You know, if you took this jello, put it in a mold and froze it, you could be like look....an emerald. Dude, I'd kick some guys ass he ever tried to give me a jello ring.

I love riding in the snow. It was too cold here today so I went xc skiing and snow shoeing, but tomorrow I want to take my horse out.

My favorite part is galloping through the fields. It's like riding through a cloud.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.