The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding in Ireland

For spring break I may be going to Ireland and of course, that means time away from the barn. But, I'm hoping to take a few lesson over there, with a serious trainer if possible. Does anyone know of any good places to take a few lessons?

Default Clonshire

Quote Originally Posted by playinforkeeps8 View Post
    For spring break I may be going to Ireland and of course, that means time away from the barn. But, I'm hoping to take a few lesson over there, with a serious trainer if possible. Does anyone know of any good places to take a few lessons?
    I highly recommend Clonshire Equestrian Centre in Adare (about an hour from Shannon airport). They have a nice cross country course, huge indoor, and good outdoor jumping ring. There are several instructors but my favorite is Sue Foley. They have several different horses as well and Voltaire was my favorite horse.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I rode for two days at Clonshire as well and really enjoyed it. The first day we were in the arena but the second I got to go out cross-country on a lovely little mare called Giselle. Lots of fun!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I too have to recommend Clonshire. I spent a week doing a camp there as a teenager, and went back the following summer to stay with a friend I had made, and we continued to ride there. It was seven years ago so I wouldn't know any horses there now, but I second Sue being fabulous! And they always had a wonderful selection of horses (though I couldn't convince my parents to let me take one home).

Two recommendations:

Annaharvey Farm:

http://www.annaharveyfarm.ie/

Co. Offaly - Right in the middle of the country. Grass and sand jumping areas, dressage courts, a highly rated competition cross country course, and of course, an indoor arena. Some of their school horses are competition horses.

Broadmeadow Equestrian Center

http://www.ireland-horses.com/

Just a short distance north of the Dublin Airport

where are you going to be in Ireland? Depending on the area i may be able to suggest some people for you

I recommend Clonshire as well!! I went over there for a week when I was 15 and lived with the Family and rode several times a day. I had a blast and I cant wait to go back and visit everyone- when I get money! lol. Their horses are so much fun! I was very tempted to bring one home with me But anyways, Ireland is amazing you will LOVE it!

samdeverell Guest

Thumbs up Annaharvey Farm

Have a look at Annaharvey Farm. Great Horses.

www.annaharveyfarm.ie

jrrider- We will probably be close to Dublin. But my parents may be willing to travel a little bit.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! =)

Smile

Send a PM to Tom from the Breeder's Forum. He has a farm in Ireland and breeds eventers and showjumpers. I am sure he must know the who and the where of Ireland.
    Viv
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Well in my experience in Ireland you'll have a good time wherever you ride. The Irish are "bloody mad" on horses and they are highly saturated with good quality horses and instruction. I lived in Tipperary, which a couple hours from Dublin, but I would suggest giving Lizzie Burcher a call if you make it down that way or Polly Holohan. Not sure what Polly has in the way of horses right now, but she was one of the best coaches I've ever had.
    You could also check out http://www.horsesportireland.ie/coac...oaches.89.html

How about a good lesson in Kerry? PlayinforKeeps doesn't know where she's going (my daughter). If we go, we plan to make a west coast trip. I know my girl would love to take a few lessons with someone who might give her a new perspective. She has just moved up to the Low Juniors. Any thoughts?

I LOVED Clonshire!!! I went and stayed for a week when I was 11 in the house with the family as well. That was not last summer, but the one before that. It was so much fun and had a really great cross country course.

Any ideas on riding in Kerry? There is a group "Long's Trekking" that looks like they have some fun horses and rides. Anyone have anything to share about riding in the Southwest of Ireland?

I stayed at Crossogue, which is near Thurles, Co. Tipperary and about a half hour from the Rock of Cashel. It was great fun when I was there - the hunters definitely know their jobs and you can watch the racehorses ride out in the mornings. Lots of fun XC jumps, too.