The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB mare pedigree and conformation critique

What are your thoughts on this mare?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/avenue+of+sorts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ave1.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	27488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ave2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	27489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AveHead.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	27490  

Very pretty!
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Very nice mare.

What kind of baby would you be looking to produce? Performance hunter, show on the line, jumper, eventer, dressage?

Or are you looking at her as a performance horse, not a broodmare?

She is a lovely type but I'd like to see her body up more - but she is young. How is the movement and jump?

If I breed her, it would be for a hunter. She is a cute mover but I have not free jumped her yet. Thanks!

Ok, well, I am going to be the bummer then...

What do I like about her? Her expression. She is indeed pretty and feminine.

What do I not like about her?

She is almost five years old and still built functionally downhill. Her coupling is light/weak, her croup is shortish and her shoulder is heavy compared to her rear end. Her hind leg is fairly straight but it goes along w/the rest of her rear end. The bottom line of her neck is nearly the same length as the top of her neck and it's straight. I cannot really see her throatlatch but it appears to be thick which goes along w/the straight neck.

Personally when I consider breeding a mare I don't want to try to improve her front end AND her rear end AND her coupling. It's just too much to ask for. Unless she is a freak who defies her conformation and has a 10 temperament and a 12 trainability and rideability, I would pass on breeding this one. So many nice mares out there. I love TB's and look for the half TB's so this is not TB prejudice speaking.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Ok, well, I am going to be the bummer then...

What do I like about her? Her expression. She is indeed pretty and feminine.

What do I not like about her?

She is almost five years old and still built functionally downhill. Her coupling is light/weak, her croup is shortish and her shoulder is heavy compared to her rear end. Her hind leg is fairly straight but it goes along w/the rest of her rear end. The bottom line of her neck is nearly the same length as the top of her neck and it's straight. I cannot really see her throatlatch but it appears to be thick which goes along w/the straight neck.

Personally when I consider breeding a mare I don't want to try to improve her front end AND her rear end AND her coupling. It's just too much to ask for. Unless she is a freak who defies her conformation and has a 10 temperament and a 12 trainability and rideability, I would pass on breeding this one. So many nice mares out there. I love TB's and look for the half TB's so this is not TB prejudice speaking.
    All valid - I did attribute some of that too being too thin. . . you also have the classic 3 strikes -TB, mare, ch - It better jump great!!! And if it does, and is quiet with a good canter, then by all means consider breeding.

I think she'd look a different horse with more weight and muscle. I would never judge a horse without seeing her move or jump, but from what I see I like her.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. She has a great temperament so I'll hang on to her for a few months and see what she looks like in the spring.