The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How would you feel? Would you be pissed or grateful?

I've got a new horse at my barn. I needed a companion horse for my OTTB and advertised free board to the right horse with the owner paying all vet, farrier, dental bills and supplements. I also indicated they needed their own blankets and a fairly extensive list of veterinary requirements.

The owner and horse I ended up accepting are really great BUT the blankets the horse arrived in are not a good fit. They are too big in the shoulder, and no amount of adjustment seems to make them fit. One of them, the heaviest weight, was a stable blanket and not a turnout but had holes on the inside and out with the fiber fill showing so if I use it, I have to put his other blanket on over it and the other blanket is a mid weight, not even a light weight. They tend to slide off the horse and are already starting to cause rub marks at the horse's shoulders.

I've got multiple turnouts of different weights that will fit this horse so I pulled his blankets and gave him a 10 yr old Rambo that's in great shape and fits him well.

I've emailed his owner as she is out of town through the week to please not be offended or mad as I didn't want to hurt her feelings but I felt the blankets were giving the horse shoulder rubs so I put one of mine on him and I had no problems with supplying him turnouts that did fit. It would give her time to get the stable blanket cleaned and repaired at the very least.

Now I'm aware that the horse may damage my turnout but I'd rather deal with that than an ill-fitting blanket.

I haven't heard anything back yet from the owner so I don't know whether she would be pissed or pleased that I cared enough about the horse to make sure there weren't any rubs.

I can see BOTH sides of the issue very easily and wonder what COTHer's thought.

So would you be pissed that I didn't like what you brought for your horse, or grateful someone cared enough about the horses comfort?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Grateful, but that is me, it takes a LOT to piss me off LOL!!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Grateful that someone who was already doing so much cared enough to double check that and offer up a quality blanket that fit! That's a good deed, I'm sure she won't be angry!

If it's not going to hurt the horse or myself, there's nothing to be pissed about.

If you're taking on the responsibility of horse care, it's your job to insure that the horse isn't in harms way.

Now the time I had a farrier give pregnant mare a sedative without me there and without my permission, I was pissed....

My motto is 'Do What Is Best For The Horse, Always'. If I piss off an owner, so be it. I'm the one who has to deal with the day to day stuff, including scrapes or rubs from ill fitting blankets. I figure they are paying me to take care of things, so I do I certainly communicate asap the serious things like injuries, sickness, lameness, etc.

You, on the other hand aren't being paid, so the owner should just be happy you Did What Is Best For The Horse.

Merry Christmas.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I can see how someone might be ticked if they were approached in a way that made them feel as if they weren't properly caring for their horse or the BO was demanding they buy something better.

But if you presented it to the owner as you did here, ie: I had a few extras laying around and found one that fits really well. I hope you don't mind. It was driving me batty and I just knew I had something that would be more comfortable....

Then I can't imagine being angry.

I personally might be EMBARRASSED that I had not done a better job assessing the fit....or because I can't afford to buy something new...but I would not be mad.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Grateful! I have a constant stream of CANTER horses and horse being boarded by owners who live far away. They all are blanketed and cared for like my own. That means having a supply of 8-10 medium weight blankets and sheets that I paid for. I only buy good quality for the same reasons you listed. I would assume the horses owners are always happy that I care enough to take liberty with their horses to treat them the best I can.

Default Grateful!!!

I don't see a reason to be offended. If she is, she must be one of the 'crazies' of the horse world that I tend to joke about (I'm crazy, too, just in a different way .)
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

You can put a Rambo on my horse anytime! (But he's wearing one right now.)

Sometimes I just want to go out and adjust or replace everyone's blankets. I must have been the only person in SE GA who read Practical Horseman's articles on how to fit and adjust blankets.

Just thought I'd add: I'm assuming that OP put the blanket on correctly?
    A barn worker who claims to have managed an Arabian horse farm in Ohio put Cloudy's Rambo on backwards Thursday night and sent him out overnight. At least she put his neck rug on his neck and not on his tail, but of course it was unattached since the front of the blanket was at the back of the horse.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Dec. 20, 2009 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I can see how someone might be ticked if they were approached in a way that made them feel as if they weren't properly caring for their horse or the BO was demanding they buy something better.

But if you presented it to the owner as you did here, ie: I had a few extras laying around and found one that fits really well. I hope you don't mind. It was driving me batty and I just knew I had something that would be more comfortable....

Then I can't imagine being angry.

I personally might be EMBARRASSED that I had not done a better job assessing the fit....or because I can't afford to buy something new...but I would not be mad.
    BuddyRoo, I presented it in the email in the same language I did here. Remember I said I could see both sides cause I'd probably be a bit pissed initially myself and then cool down and be pleased. I'm hoping that's the worse case scenerio with the horse's owner.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I'd be grateful. Of course, I'd be grateful for the free board/companion status anyway, regardless of the stipulations, and have to find a small pedestal to put your statue upon. Then I'd assure you have lots of coco mix and warm mittens for those chill evenings you cared enough for my horse to insure he was 'dressed' properly for the weather.

Why cannot there be someone HERE in Salina, Kansas who needs a horse companion and ALTERNATE BARN HELP. I've been messaged by a woman who has a loffly mare who needs rehoming...and I can not afford horse care AND board both.

Besides which...life has been insupportable the past TWO years without stall cleaning on cold clear mornings, horsey breath on my hands while I pour in the evening feed and the smell of horse poop in my truck. I am again that little girl who sooooooooo wants a horse for Christmas!

Back to the original thread...your generosity and concern for her horse will be appreciated. Bless you!

Quote Originally Posted by cu.at.x View Post
    I don't see a reason to be offended. If she is, she must be one of the 'crazies' of the horse world that I tend to joke about (I'm crazy, too, just in a different way .)
    Hey, as far as I'm concerned ALL horse people are crazy!!!! Myself probably more so!!! But then again, I've been told by so many people that I'm anal about the care, that I'm starting to believe it.
    Sue

No, I wouldn't be mad. Not at all. I'm sure the fact that her blanket didn't fit wasn't news to her, anyway.

You're nice to let the horse use your blanket. Aren't Rambo's great? I've got a couple that are 18 years old and going strong.

Haha-I do the same thing, msg!!

I've kept all my rambos,rhinos and amigos over the years so I have quite the assortment of blankets(sizes 72-84). Somehow I just can't part with them so I share them with the retirees boarded here. I don't feel right making my boarders buy blankets for their horses when I have so many that I can lend-plus, since they're mine, I can repair and launder them and always have them ready if needed. I also don't really have the room to store everyone elses blankets along with my own!

I don't think any one has been offended that I do this-I've asked them up front if it's ok and it seems to be appreciated.

Sorry- I realized that I wrote your name as msg, not msj!!!

All this snow has me thinking about food, apparently...

I would definitely be grateful!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Grateful ~ The horse thanks you ~ the owner should thank you and I thank you ~ for caring enough to take responsibility for the horse's comfort.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Default Masking tape or duct tape on a blanket?

OK, I've now got two bay horses, similar in size and build wearing identical green Rambo heavy weight TO.

Any one have any ideas whether duct tape or masking tape would stick better WITHOUT harming the TO?
    Sue

MSJ-

Whatever works for you. (duct tape )

Seriously though...I think you're worrying over nothing. Your boarder is probably blissfully unaware of your concerns...working hard or dealing with family and knowing you're in charge, isn't spending a moment worrying about her horse--hence no reply. Take that as a grand gesture of confidence.

When I am very confident about my horse's care, I don't worry, I don't call, I don't check email. I just do what I'm out there to do and come back as soon as I can.

Your worrying is likely for naught.

Thank you for putting horses first. I am really blessed that I'm at a barn like that now. It makes a HUGE difference when you know that yours is being well cared for.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by hellerkm View Post
    Grateful, but that is me, it takes a LOT to piss me off LOL!!
    Amen - life is too short!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"