The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Albion Platinum Ultima Genesis Dressage Saddle

Anyone have one of these? What are your likes and dislikes?

I own one.

1. Beautiful leather
    2. Adjustable
    3. Open panels
    Beautifully made saddle

Dislikes:
    1. Twist is wider than I like
    2. Seat is shallower than I like

Overall a very nice saddle and good value!

Keep in mind there are two models.

The Platinum SLK and the Platinum SLK Ultima (the upgraded leather).

nice size block twist is good- really opens your hips up. i've got several pro's in it now who love it who have come from flat as pancake passiers/stubbens etc in past.

As a fitter i love it- as i can change the head plate (and even have custom ones built for horses) and the panels are interchangeable if the horse starts to get a wither etc- or the rider changes horses.
    Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
    www.ravenwoodaussies.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I rode in one a Genesis Ultima for a few hours and it made my tailbone scream. I am so glad I took it on that long ride before buying. It wasn't so much the twist that bothered me (I like a somewhat wider twist), but the seat was too narrow and my seat bones sort of hung off the padded edges and after awhile it felt like a plank jamming up into my tush.

Other than that it was a very nice saddle. Nice leather and very well balanced. Fit my XW horse well.

This is the model: http://www.flyingstarstables.com/sad...um-ultima.html

I own one. I have a Tb that has a lot of suspension and he would bounce my saddle(s) up onto his withers. Even a retrofit gullet and new panels from Schleese never fixed the problem. My saddle fitter suggested the Albion because it had a flatter tree and she thought it would stay put better. She also thought it would be a good idea for me as I have multiple horses and the genesis head could be changed out if I would choose to change the saddle to a different horse.

In addition to my saddle fitters opinion, I like the grippy leather and the seat is padded better than my other saddles. I also like the depth of the seat, it's deep enough to make it easy to sit but not so much that you can't move in the saddle. That may also be because I went up a half size and bought an 18", hmmm. I tryed saddles with narrower twists but like the thigh support of the slightly wider twist. The thigh blocks fit my leg, don't use them most of the time but they're there when I need them

I have the SLK platinum and love it- my horse loves it as well.

I'm so very confused.....I thought the Albion Platinum Ultima Genesis was a particular model. The Ultima refering to the type of leather and the Platinum/Genesis the interchangable tree and panels.....now it sounds like there is an SLK version????? Help. Someone clarify all this for me.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

My saddle says Platinum Genesis Ultima on it. When I tryed out saddles with my local Albion rep, Kim Benson, I had options like high head, low head, narrow twist, wider twist. narrower seat or wider seat. If you look at her website I see they do have a Platinum Ultima version and an SLK Ultima version. Here's the website-

http://www.flyingstarstables.com/sad...es/albion.html

In retrospect I'm guessing the choices I made probably dictated the version I got but I suggest you talk to an actual rep. Kim is very friendly and you can get the details on her website.

Talking Albion SLK

Thanks for this info. It helped a lot. The Albion fitter that I used for my Albion SLK does not have an actual website. I got her name through Albion's website. I clicked into find a fitter. I will get back on the Albion website and try to find the saddle's themselves. I want to high head, narrow twist, medium tree, SLK Ultima.....if there is such a thing. Thanks again. CelticRiverDance
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I rode in one a Genesis Ultima for a few hours and it made my tailbone scream. I am so glad I took it on that long ride before buying. It wasn't so much the twist that bothered me (I like a somewhat wider twist), but the seat was too narrow and my seat bones sort of hung off the padded edges and after awhile it felt like a plank jamming up into my tush.

Other than that it was a very nice saddle. Nice leather and very well balanced. Fit my XW horse well.

This is the model: http://www.flyingstarstables.com/sad...um-ultima.html
    I have to say I thought the same thing...I have previously fractured my sacrum...but then I got the next whole size larger than what the tack store fitted me with, and it has been the best! Have had it for two years and it's a keeper!

I have the Albion Platinum Genesis Ultima. I actually went a half size smaller than I had been riding in an older SLK (could only find a used Platinum Ultima in the smaller seat size with the tree and short flaps that I need), but I find it quite comfortable! The seat is a little more open than the older SLK, which I think is why I was able to adapt to the smaller seat size. I do prefer the slightly narrower twist on the older SLK model, but the Platinum isn't uncomfortably wide.

The leather is wonderful and it was easily adjusted to work well on my horse who's a little pear-shaped in the torso and has a forward girth groove. It ended up way better fit/balanced on that horse than anything else I've tried.

It didn't hurt my motivation to purchase mine that used Albions currently seem to hold their value fairly well, and the Platinum models have a lot of adjustability to accommodate any future fitting changes.