The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why Do Horses Insist On Heart Failure Moments!

So this morning Mr. Equilibrium and myself are filling up water containers from the main tank to get water to the field horses. The main tank is in front of our T/O pens and up a slight incline. Out in the pens I had the mares in the back pen and Penelope (my 09 filly) out with her new buddy Baxter in the front pen. Baxter was just weaned a few days ago and with the frozen weather we decided they'd be better off in the pen. There is a 5ft gate between the 2 pens.

I happen to glance in the direction of the pens and see Baxter looking a bit upset about something. Next I see an image of a small horse with no rug trying to find a space at the round bale feeder in with the mares. Hummm, I'm thinking, nobody out there should be that small and who isn't rugged? OMG, it's Penelope!!!!!!

Yup, I guess she figured life looked better on the other side of the gate. Now I'm in full panic mode because I don't have the kind of horses everyone else has. The really nice we accept anyone in our group type of horses. No I have the "who the heck are you, get out of here" type of horses. In fairness, there wasn't a bother on my mares and I am so so happy they decided she could hang out with them. Went in grabbed Penelope and brought both her and Baxter in to their stables.

Not a mark on Penelope and I'm guessing she did a good job of clearing the gate or we would have heard otherwise. Once the dust was settled I secretly wished I would have seen her jump the gate! I did have a little chat with her to tell her she was bred for flat racing, not chasing.

So now we have to put the electric back up over the top of the gate. It's a pain in the butt and we haven't needed it in ages. And I know the colt was not trying to bully her because he's anything but a bully. Penelope is the ruler of the roost in that relationship.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Because they react first, think later (if at all). If we could breed out the prey animal instincts I bet we would have different animals!

Glad nobody got hurt!

Terri,
    Don't you know from reading the other threads that Tb's cannot jump! She must have opened the gate then shut it behind her.

Stoic,

Loved that! Yes, I forgot all about TB's not being able to jump!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Well, if you named her "Penelope" OF COURSE she has "attitude"!
    PennyG

The day I weaned my two colts, I put them in their stalls while I loaded their moms. One mare was a bad loader and we were at the trailer for several minutes trying to load her when one of the colts suddenly showed up at the trailer. Didn't see him do it, of course, but the only way out of his stall was through the open top of the Dutch door. So, no running start, just bounded over from a standstill. He's now (at 7) an awesome event horse and can jump the moon.
    ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~