The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to do when BO doesn't like the trainer you want to take lessons from?

So there's a (I think) great trainer in my area, very reasonably priced for lessons, my mom showed with him growing up, nice guy, etc.

My BO (who is quite opinionated) apparently doesn't like his style and will not allow him on the farm for lessons -

This wouldn't be an issue if I had a trailer. Or even someone I knew that was also taking lessons from him that I could ride with.

WWYD? Just chalk it up and don't take lessons with them until you get a trailer, and instead take lessons from the other trainer (who is actually wonderful, I'm just not as fond of her style) who the BO approves of? Or just continue training yourself and taking videos every so often to critique?
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

What would I do? Decide which was more important to me, keeping the horse at it's current barn or training with this trainer since it doesn't appear you can do both. (Unless of course, you can afford that trailer.)
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Yeah - trailer we are working on - but that's at least a year out -

It's not imperative I take lessons, I would just like to take a couple of "brushing up" ones to get my position back where it should be -

I've been giving lessons myself and training horses for so long, I've kinda let my position go a bit

My mom is a trainer as well, and so far I've just been sending her videos and having her critique and giving me things to work on and when she comes down for visits, I get mini lessons from her -

I am friends with the trainer BO approves of too and I like her, but she's one of those who churn out carbon copy hunter kids who do very well, but I'm looking for more of a dressage basis working into jumpers -

Unfortunately we don't have too many choices of trainers around here, so I guess I'll just suck it up and keep doing what I've been doing
    Friend of bar.ka!
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

It sounds as if you have someone who can video tape you.

One option MIGHT be to have a session (riding at home) taped, then take the tape to your preferred trainer, and pay him his regular lesson fee to go over the tape with you, and give you specific things to work on, and specific exercises to do.

Depends on the trainer, but it COULD work.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Oooh ! Good thought!
    Friend of bar.ka!

I am friends with the trainer BO approves of too and I like her, but she's one of those who churn out carbon copy hunter kids who do very well, but I'm looking for more of a dressage basis working into jumpers -
    I'd sit down with BO and trainer, state your case (looking for a dressage/jumper... not so much hunter) and see how it goes. They may know an alternative. Or the hunter trainer may well be more diverse in her ability then churning out hunter kids- my trainer churns out hunter kids- but can also give a great flat lesson that works on dressage skills. You'd never know it to watch her teach the hunter kids.

I think most people, unless they are drama llamas want to see people get the best for their horse- if you cited how this trainer has helped you out, you might get the BO to come round, you just need to very diplomatically skirt the issue of the inhouse trainer being not what you want- a chat with her (and maybe a trial lesson) might be in order before you go to the BO.

I just found a trainer off farm that I really like. My BO no longer allows outside trainers in, as of this year. The other trainer doesnt allow outside horses to her farm for training.

so I worked out a deal with a horse owner at the trainers farm. I get to ride him for lessons, and transfer what I learn to my horse.

I think I know who the female trainer is that you are talking about, and she can/does adjust her teaching based on the known goals of the horse/rider combination. She has a decent/good background in dressage and she has worked with some jumpers in the past.

Is it an option to lesson on the outside trainer's horses for a while? If what you are working on is your position and not training issues that can be a good option.

Does the other trainer have any other students who haul to him? Maybe they can offer you a ride.

Does the "other trainer" have any horses of his own you could lesson on? If you are not worried about your HORSE and just about yourself and your position then borrowing a horse would not be a problem.
    Good Luck there are plenty of barns who do not like outside trainers so if you really want to train with the outside trainer you might have to switch barns.
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Yes, the female trainer has done jumpers, I'm just on the fence there. I do like her though, she's a great person and her students do very well -

And there are a few issues with the horse so i'd like to try to use my mare.

We'll see, in the meantime I think I may stick with the video idea or just go to the female until I get my trailer
    Friend of bar.ka!

When I started with my current trainer I had also been out of formal instruction for years. But that interim was spent riding as staff to a private pack, starting greenies u/s and in the field, and exercising chasers. Definitely had a lot of bad habits to fix and I had plateaued on what I could fix without a trainer. I actually found it very helpful to take several lessons on my trainer's horses to spruce up my riding before bringing my horse down. By riding her steady guys I was really able to focus on the things that were still almost there, but just not quite where they needed to be. She was great about giving me exercises to work on at home with my mare who also tends to have issues, but still allowed me to practice what I was (re)learning. That combination worked out great and by the time I was ready to bring my horse down for lessons I was able to get more out of the horse than I would have if I was trying to fix me and her at the same time. Ended up getting more bang for the buck this way. It might be worth taking a couple lessons on the trainer's horse(s) and transfering your tweaks to your own horse. Then when you have the trailer you'll be all set!
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I think I am in your location and I have 2 jumpers in training and a wonderful trainer. PM me if you would like.

So what happens when you buy the trailer? You stop taking lessons from the trainer at the barn and trailer to the other trainer? That might cause issues too. It's hard when there are different trainers. They really don't like to share. They want you to pick. Be prepared.
    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

I may end up just taking lessons from the woman and have that be that - I like her, she's successful and puts out a good end result and if that's what I can do right now, then so be it -

And c.harrison sending PM!
    Friend of bar.ka!

I personally think it's bad business for BO's to be that way. We welcome anyone on our farm because it's always business opportunity for us and if it keeps our boarders happy, then I see no problem with it.
    However, that is not your situation.
    I personally would be looking for a more open minded BO somewhere else but that's just me. As far as you, I'd go ahead and take some lessons from the trainer that you want, maybe like you said, get a ride with someone you may know who is also training with them. I know you said you would like for someone to work with you and your horse but I think it's a good idea to ride other horses, maybe trainer's horses, and then like someone else said, transfer what you've learned onto your horse.
    Either way I believe you should be able to take lessons with whomever you want.

Agreed. But until I have my own barn, I've gotta stick with what I've got.

And I do like my BO, she can be interesting, but we get along and I do a lot of the husbandry there and the facilities are great so I've got a good thing going.

I'm mainly just foxhunting my mare right now - and eventually, may take her to some shows -
    Friend of bar.ka!

Hey, take it easy on the BOs here.

There are many reasons why a BO may not want an outside trainer...starting with the fact they may already have an exclusive agreement with an exsisting trainer-and it sounds like this is then case at OPs barn. There is already a resident trainer.

May also be liability questions and assorted other issues BOs do not share with clients.

Not really fair to assume they "don't like" somebody or have it in for you if they do not want your selected trainer to teach on their property.

IN OPs case, try taking from the gal already there-bet she knows more then you think she does.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

You might ask BO - out of curiousity why they don't like this trainer and mention your mother rode w/ them and never seemed to have a problem. The BO apparently has some strong feelings about this person if she won't allow them on her property. I would also suggest talking to her about wanting lessons w/ someone w/ a dressage background or influence w/ jumpers. At my barn many of the riders have weekly lessons from a dressage trainer who comes in once or twice a week to teach - the BO is also a trainer and she and the dressage trainer enjoy bouncing ideas off each other as well - so it helps both their clients in the long run - so maybe the BO might have some other suggestions for you. In the meantime it sounds like there is a very decent trainer there - why not take advantage of it...