The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default getting previcox

I was looking into previcox for a friend. She has a bunch of retired horses, and one has enormous knees- came to her like that and she's never ridden him. She just likes having horses and takes good care of them.
    The horse with the huge knees seems to be getting worse, especially in this cold weather. He already seems to have a sensitive tummy so she's leary of using bute. I told her about previcox and called our vet- the office manager said they do not carry it or prescribe it. In this area, it is HIGHLY unlikely any other vet will have it, or have it for an unknown client.
    Is there any other way to get it? Equioxx would be way too expensive cost prohibitive for her, and I've used previcox before and know it works.
    I understand the "off-label" liability, but she is a regular client of this vet. I also have known several vets who will get it for their clients.

Can she call the vet directly?

It's the office managers job to make sure the vets don't get in trouble for things like prescribing off label drugs (well it is at my equine clinic anyway). Our office manager chewed me out for even asking but my vet wrote me one on the spot when I asked him about it the next day.

Some vets may not be comfortable prescribing stuff like that so if that is the case then you might be out of luck since I'm not sure I know of any vets that will prescribe it unless they know you as a client. Does she have an arthritic dog? Maybe she can get a doggy prescription...

*NOTE* I am not a vet, medical ethics expert, lawyer, etc . This is just my personal experience with it.

I asked my vet about it (been using her for 9+ years and have a great relationship with her) and she won't give me previcoxx. She said she had never heard of using the dog version for horses, but I gave her all the math figured out and she said she'd look into it for me. About a week later, she called to tell me she spoke to some people that deal with previcoxx and equioxx and said it's off label use. I told her I knew that, but she said she didn't feel comfortable using it off label. Bummer...
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

someone figured out the math here:
    http://www.horseadvice.com/horse/messages/5/196266.html
    yeah it drives me nuts that the horse version is 10 times the cost of the dog version. I wonder if it some difference in how horses and dogs absorb the drug, but can someone explain why it costs so much more? Is there some special ingredient in the horse version???

yes, probably a good idea to talk to the vet herself. Unfortunately it is a new vet that started 2 weeks ago that took over from the two who have just retired.

I'm as unhappy at the price of a number of equine drugs as the next person.

However, pharmaceutical companies are in the business of making money.
    The balance sheet for R&D compared to sales for equine drugs, is, unfortunately (and hard to believe at times) not all that great when compared to other segments of the market.

And, as a colleague pointed out recently, if we stop using the stuff that they have R&D'ed for veterinary use, then they'll have even less motivation to spend money developing more products...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Adding (still have no edit or quote buttons--thanks to the "upgrade")--the issue of ELUD doesn't apply in this situation at all. An approved formulation for horses exists; therefore it is illegal to prescribe the canine version. It may not be a high priority for the authorities, but if they were looking to hang someone, it would provide a convenient place to start.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I was talking to the reps of merial and they seggested I try previcox for my gelding with the arthrodesed pastern at 0.1mg/kg said it was the exact same as equioxx. Equioxx is not sold in canada but previcox, ulcerguard is not sold in canada but gastrogard is silly.
    Last edited by Fharoah; Dec. 20, 2009 at 06:40 PM.

murphyluv you have a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Adding (still have no edit or quote buttons--thanks to the "upgrade")--the issue of ELUD doesn't apply in this situation at all. An approved formulation for horses exists; therefore it is illegal to prescribe the canine version. It may not be a high priority for the authorities, but if they were looking to hang someone, it would provide a convenient place to start.
    Then we should all talk to our congressmen, cause they are the same thing.

You can absolutely use previcox on horses. My retired advanced horse (26 this year) got a pasture injury and was 3 legged. My vet at N.E. Equine put him on Equioxx to see if it would work and then prescribed previcox as his treatment. I give him (2) 57mg tabs every day. The original dose was 1 tab but it wasn't quite doing the trick. I'd get another vet, maybe a major medical center for a second opinion. I order it though www.budgetpetmeds.com and it's the cheapest around, approx. $1/pill. Most places are $1.50 or more.