The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Bute dosing question

On the vet's recommendation, my horse is on .5g bute daily. I mix up grain once a day... put the bute in sweet feed (along with his other supps), and add the other grain. Then I shake the whole bucket up to mix it pretty thoroughly, and give him half AM and half PM. Does it matter that he's getting something like .25g twice a day instead of .5g once a day? Should I do the bute separately and give it to him all at once?

With the weather getting yucky, he really needs the bute and I don't want him to be uncomfortable. Thanks!

Call your vet in the am and ask which way he wants it dosed and why.

Meh.. I'd rather not call him for something so minor.. and I didn't get the bute from him, so I don't feel comfortable taking his time when he's not profiting. Does anyone know if separate doses generally change the efficacy of bute?

If you want him to be comfortable throughout the day, I would personally split the dose. It's only going to last about 8-10 hours so if you give it to him once a day, you are going to have him possibly uncomfortable for half of the day. I'm not a vet, but that's how I would do it.

No, studies show that it does not matter. However, 1/2 gram of bute per day is pretty low. Standard dose is 1 gram for most issues. Why is he on such a low dose? Is he a pony?
    Last edited by QM2; Dec. 18, 2009 at 07:56 PM.

1/4 gram twice daily is likely ok although I am not sure it would be all that effective. Many horses are managed on 1 gram per day five days a week, some get 1 gram every other day. My horse is currently getting 1/2 once daily while his pastern is fusing. Here is an article on bute http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=6408

Quote Originally Posted by QM2 View Post
    No studies show that it does not matter. However, 1/2 gram of bute is pretty low. Standard dose is 1 gram for most issues. Why is he on such a low dose? Is he a pony?
    He's a 16.3hh TB with a bum knee. It's a low dose because he's going to be on it for..ever. And he's 8 now. Don't want to mess up his stomach with more bute. And he's been pretty okay without bute for a couple of years now, but new vet, new xrays. He recommended bute to keep him comfortable.

Have you tried previcox?

Doubtful it will make any difference as long as he is getting the same amount over each 24 hour period. Bute is easier on the horse if given over two feeds rather than just one.

Do you have him on something for ulcers?

Haven't tried Equioxx. He's not really in any noticeable discomfort.. the vet explained why he wanted him on bute, but I can't remember it all. I may get some Equioxx just in case, though.

He's on a probiotic, and I'll be putting him on SmartDigest when his Probios runs out.

Equioxx is expensive as heck.
    Not sure what others are paying for it, but let's see, a tube of bute at 12grams is $15. A tube of Equioxx is $15. Except the whole tube of Equioxx is one dose.

If the horse is going to be on it for the rest of his life or a long time, I'd at least put him on some Ugard to help his tummy. Probiotics are great but aren't going to do anything for ulcers AFAIK.