The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmet safety! A good story!

A couple of weeks ago, my fiance wanted to ride my gelding. He rode/showed as a kid and is a good rider but is rusty. Despite my gelding being DEAD quiet, and much to my fiance's chagrin, I insisted he wear a helmet for his hack. The chinstrap was uncomfortably tight but I told him "no helmet, no ride."

At the end of the hack in the pasture, during a nice canter, my gelding threw in a couple of enormous leaps which unseated my fiance and, on the second leap, he bailed. It all was very slow motion and was on soft Florida sand in deep grass.

He hit full force on the back of his head, and upon inspection the helmet had done its job absorbing the force, and was cracked. He actually heard the crack when he landed.

My fiance walked away without any injury or even real body soreness related to the fall. It likely would have been quite a different outcome without the helmet.

Please wear your helmet and insist others do as well. Replace them if they take any impact - even if dropped.

I don't tend to post personal stories on here..but this bears repeating since wearing a helmet is such an easy way to help keep us safe around our ponies.

I'm glad you insisted that he wear the helmet "every time, every ride." Thanks for sharing the story.

Default Good for both of you

Good for you for insisting that he wear a helmet and showing you care about him.
    Good for him that he would listen to you and show that he cares about you!

Well, here is my story.

Last week, I was riding a young horse on a woods trail and a dead limb about 3" or so in dia. and about 2 ft. long fell out of a tree.

It hit my hard cap with enough force that my neck hurt for about 15 minutes or so.

For that 15 minutes, I thought that I might have some permanent damage to my neck, but it finally quit.

Except for the loud startling noise, no damage to my head. Actually, I never felt the blow to my head. Only the noise and the neck pain.

I never get on a horse without a hard hat.

I started riding a long time ago and have many pictures of me jumping big, like really big, fences with either no hat or a soft cap. We never gave it a thought in those days, but I sure do now.

CSSJR

Makes so much sense....

A few years ago I fell off a green pony and went headfirst into a fence post. The post went through my helmet, and I went inside my house (someone else volunteered to take care of pony). I blacked out shortly after. Woke up later and watched TV. Probably should have gone to a doctor or something, but my parents told me I was fine, so whatever.

It's always been amazing to me how many people don't wear helmets. I simply will never be able to understand it.

stevej Guest

Great story!

The other day I saw some cocky rider on an UNBROKE horse... needless to say no one there was impressed..

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    It's always been amazing to me how many people don't wear helmets. I simply will never be able to understand it.
    Me too neither

Rode out with fellow COTHer, SBT, this summer....she on my trusty Clyde-X and I on my 17.3 Percheron, Tank. In a good working trot, headed back to the farm, when the Lance-Armstrong-Wannabe came WHIZZING up Tank's rear end. When 2,000 pounds of Percheron bucks, you ain't staying on.

Caught serious air time and hit HARD: knee, hip, shoulder, HEAD. When I stumbled back to the barn, hubby grabbed Tank and I sat down to take inventory of my person. Gently removed the helmet and beheld the 1/4" dent at the back right. Sighing and thanking God, I placed it in the trash.

New IRH XR9 helmet was in my possession 3 days later.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

You want to hear something scary? A month or so ago I went riding, got back to the office, and wondered why my hair was not stuck down and sweaty. Then I realised I had COMPLETELY forgotten to wear my helmet. A person that dim does not need to also fall and bump her head!
    Two weeks later, I made it as far as the road before I realised I'd gone and done it again. Jeeez!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    You want to hear something scary? A month or so ago I went riding, got back to the office, and wondered why my hair was not stuck down and sweaty. Then I realised I had COMPLETELY forgotten to wear my helmet. A person that dim does not need to also fall and bump her head!
    Two weeks later, I made it as far as the road before I realised I'd gone and done it again. Jeeez!
    When I started taking lessons in high school, every once in a while, I would get to the ring and prepare to mount when my instructor would look at me and ask if I forgot something. Of course I would look all around me (do I need a crop I forgot, are the stirrups backwards, the girth not tight...). Apparently since I could not see the top of my head it would take me a good minute or two to figure out what I forgot.

Now, I notice before I get on - when that stray wisp of hair is blown in front of my face and I think, 'well, that's odd. No hair should be free of the helmet....oh...'