The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Exercises for keeping the leg back and heels down over fences

I'm looking for exercises for some friends.

They want some exercises to help keep the leg back on the flat and to keep heels down over jumps.

shorten your stirrups 5 holes.. then go ride.. (you will have to stand up and stay there.. ) I lived like that for 2 weeks this summer after my coach finally had enough of my lower leg doing strange things.. this helped.. it also makes you want to cry

Five holes would put my foot about half way down my saddle flap!

Generally legs swing forwards and back because the leg position is incorrect... usually pinching at the knee. If your legs are swinging forward than your lower leg must not be on at all. Your leg should touch the horse on the inside towards the back. Try putting a dollar bill under each leg just above where the top of a paddock boot would be. Find a ground person... that person gets to keep any dollars that hit the ground. Riders keep any dollars that they hold on to... don't try this on a windy day.

I tell my students to THINK about pushing your feet forward when you get to the fence but don't actually do it. If you think about it, it will make your muscles fire and keep your leg from coming back.

They're probably connected. I have the same problems, and the jumping problems stem from the overall leg problems. It took me awhile to get the feel of where my leg should be-it felt very awkward for awhile. It helped to have my trainer literally place my leg correctly. Then lots of two-point, focusing on sinking into the heels. On the flat, try to maintain the same leg position you had in two-point, and whenever you feel your leg changing get back into two-point for a few strides. It was really the missing link in my riding-as soon as I was getting my leg truly under me I was leaning less and staying more centered and balanced. Suddenly sitting the canter was no big deal (because I wasn't sitting so heavy and so far back).
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Keeping the leg back and the heels down are actually for two separate people. I'm the one that needs to keep heels down over fences and a friend has problems keeping her legs far enough back.

Haha, guess I was wrong about it being connected! We do grids for really any jumping form problem so you can just focus on your form. For heels down over fences I don't think there's any magic exercise, just constantly concentrate on it through the grid and exaggerate it as much as possible. If your leg is correct on the flat then it's just a factor of re-learning the muscle memory for jumping. Also, just thought about this for your friend-does she always ride in the same saddle? Some saddles I really have to fight to get my leg in the right place because of the way they're designed.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue