The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Hauling sub-compact tractor in horse trailer?

Our barn is getting new footing for the arena (thank god!) and sadly, they do not have a tractor at this time. I do. It is a sub-compact Kubota. I measure the little guy, and he's only 5' wide, 7' tall and 10' 6" long...or maybe 12 feet (can't remember dimensions with the bucket on). Anyhoo-

Could I haul it in a 3 horse trailer? I know the trailer is 7'6" tall (and I can always drop the ROPS down to make it shorter). I don't have a flat-bed trailer (on my wish list....) but I do have access to a big 3 horse Logan slant load.

Opinions or am I crazy? I could drive the tractor there under its own power---in about 2 days
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I have seen those little guys hauled in horse trailers before. Be very careful loading is all I can say! I watched somebody gouge out the side of their trailer because they didn't watch the bucket. Just drop the bucket on the floor for transport so you don't have an unfortunate rolling accident. Also may not be a mad idea to throw a tarp or cardboard under it in case something leaks while travelling.

Check out your axle weight carrying capacity. Our stock trailer has 10,000 lb. torsion axles. Most trailers that size are built for that kind of load carrying. We have carried a lot of stuff in that trailer. Our Ford 8N fits in pretty well, but is probably lighter than your tractor with it's accessories.

Do plan some way to tie or contain the tractor in transit. Tractor moving forward or back, could really damage some trailer parts.

Do you have a local tractor dealer? Construction company? Might be cheaper to PAY THEM to move tractor to the other place, than damage your trailer. They will tie it down with chain binders, sides, front and back, bucket anchored too. Tractor won't be moving for ANY reason while on the trailer. They should be insured for moving equipment, know how to do it ACCORDING to the law. Yes, there ARE laws about securing your load when hauling. NOT doing securing correctly, could void YOUR insurance on the trailer.

Have seen some wrecks where those loads WERE DONE RIGHT!! Truck or trailer laying over on it's side, tractor or cable reels, STILL exactly in place, not moved an inch on the bed of vehicle.

We pack the Ford in our trailer, have rings in the floor for the binders. Bessie is not going to move anyplace in transit, while riding in the stock trailer.

Don't drive it up the trailer ramp...

I would not do it - for one, the ramp is probably not strong enough, but you have no way of securing it inside the trailer - when you haul a vehicle on a flatbed you strap it down TIGHT with chains to prevent it from moving. Even a small tractor is going to weigh a lot more than 2 or even 3 horses.

We had to take our old tractor somewhere and it was too heavy for my brother's car trailer - which was built for more weight than my horse trailer.

Call one of the tow truck companies with one of those flatbed with ramp trucks.

It will probably cost you a few hundred dollars but that's less than a new trailer.

I kind of have the opposite problem - DH won't let me haul my horse in his race car trailer. He'd love - like a giant box stall.

In the past, we rented a flatbed for pretty cheap to haul a car. They usually have good, strong tie-down points or tracks to secure loads with wheels, and ramps that will bear the weight. We put tie downs over the axles and ratchet down tight.

You're lucky to have a tow vehicle suitable to tow the weight. We used to have to rent/borrow a truck too.

I have the Kubota BX, which is considered a sub-compact tractor. I looked it up awhile back, and my bx23 was only like 2200 lbs or so. Do take off your mid-mount mower deck, if you have one. They're so easy to remove on the Kubota, and it's one less thing to worry about bumping into.

The problem I've had is that I don't have an appropriate ramp to put it up in there. You'd need to solve that somehow.

It's a good idea to tie it down in transit, but that's something that could be added to a trailer.

Don't bother trying to rent a flatbed. The experience I had is that with insurance regulations they want to know what kind of car you're moving and what'll be towing it... and as soon as you say you're loading a tractor, forget it.

One time I was desperate and had mine moved by rollback tow truck. It was REALLY expensive each way.

I ended up making good friends with my hay guy. Most hay guys have flatbed trailers of some kind. He may be able to move your tractor for you, and he'd definitely do it for less than a towing company.

Thank you for the thoughtful replies.

My baby Kubota weighs less than 2 horses, even with the bucket on. It won't fit in the 3 horse trailer, due to the slant wall in the front.

We have access to a contractor's dump trailer that it will fit in, but the bucket will have to be hung over the front a bit. Or, I can borrow my friends very large flat bed--my poor baby looks like a toy on it.

My brother and I are looking at getting a flat bed for our tractors and hay and what not...but it isn't in the cards right now.

With the teeny tractors, the ramp is the hard part--they're so small they don't fit on the standard width ramps on most trailers. I'd need one with movable/storable ramps.

If you go to your local heavy equipment rental place (not the little local rental place that rents lawn equipment and such- you're looking for the place that will actually rent heavy equipment), odds are that they will have a flatbed trailer designed for this purpose that you can rent for a pretty nominal fee-depending on the place, you can often rent them by the hour. As long as they verify that you have an appropriate tow vehicle and appropriate hardware to secure your load, I've never had them blink when I told them we were moving a tractor. We've done this several times to move our John Deere tractor to help out various friends with projects. (And since I'm a girl, they always ask me a bazillion questions to make sure I do know how to load and secure the tractor...)

Then, you won't have to worry about the ramp issue, and the purpose-desinged trailer should have appropriately mounted hardware to secure the tractor properly and safely.

In Washington State, the regs about securing loads are very specific. I would not haul a small tractor in a horse trailer unless I'd done enough retrofitting in terms of mounting hardware in the trailer to ensure that it would be appropriate for securing a piece of equipment. I do know people who have done this successfully to make their horse trailers dual purpose vehicles. Also, it's not just "a good idea" to tie it down in transit. It's an absolute legal requirement to have the load secured properly, and failing to do so will result in a pretty hefty fine at best, and an icky wreck at worst.

I would think a tractor IN a horse trailer or another enclosed trailer would not be liable under our secured load laws, but what do I know!

I have a flat bed, with chains, available to use (we've hauled Mr. Tractor on other occasions), I was just exploring the idea of using an enclosed, handy, 3 horse.

The whole tractor weighs in (minus the mid-mount mower deck) under 3000lbs. so I'm sure a horse trailer is more than capable of hauling one.

Now, the footing is ordered, and tractor and I have a date at the farm! Fun use of my vacation days!

We have actualy hauled ours in the back of our full size pick-up truck. We have regular car ramps, parked on a bit of a hill and lifted the bucket to rest over the cab of the truck. Of course our truck is really old and we aren't real concerned about it getting scratched up any more than it already is.
    Things Take Time

We have hauled our very large z-trac mower in our two horse trailer many times. Although that's a little different than a tractor because it doesn't have a bucket on it, it goes up the ramp well. We've also hauled our golf cart in there although the cart is definitely a bit lighter. You just need to strap it down so that it doesn't roll around. My husband has adjustable heavy duty nylon straps that strap around the wheels themselves to prevent rolling of any sort.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I saw a trailer that had the rear ramp broken, and I mean in a big arc of a bend kind of broken, from loading a compact tractor. (and this was in a very stoutly built trailer, too)
    The trailer was rated to carry that weight OK, but the ramp couldn't deal with 4,000 LB on it at once.

While a tractor or other piece of equipment may not weigh *all that much*, just be aware that the weight is concentrated differently than a horse's. When your horse is walking up a ramp, the feet are moving, weight is distributed, and most often, he will not be standing with all four feet on the ramp in a smaller area.

When equipment loads (especialy stuff like skid steers) you get all the weight at once, sometimes all in a pretty small area.
    Your best bet if loading equipment into a horse trailer is to get a set of longer ramps and set them over the existing ramp, spread the weight out a bit. (you could even use sturdy planks if you didn't have an old set of equipment ramps)

And be careful once it's in too. This same trailer had gas spilled and soaked into the rubber mats, which is about impossible to ever get out fully, and the bucket left a dent on the bulkhead wall.