The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TALL SADDLEBRED GELDING RIDES/DRIVES FOR ADOPTION - WNY

I rescued this now 9 year old 16.1-16.2H bay Saddlebred gelding from a bad auction last year, he has been at a saddleseat barn for the last year, but the young girl is unable to pay his board and bills any longer, he needs a great home. He is sweet, sane, very personable. Drives very well, he was a Mennonite horse for a while, rides too, the Mennonite's 11 year old daughter used to ride him around the farm bareback. He would be best for someone experienced with ASB's/Arabs/horses with a little energy, not a bad horse at all, just not dopey quiet. He has been shown, even won a park class, but has a lot of anxiety in a show atmosphere. Might be best for a pleasure riding/driving home. I myself, and my friends, have ridden him without problem in the ring, around the farm, down the road (he's very comfortable and safe on the road, even knows to stop at intersections, look both ways and proceed when clear). On the trail by himself, he is a bit insecure, but probably would make a great trail horse if he was taken out with a steady been-there done-that horse.

I can answer any questions, give more information, and send more photos, if interested. Prospective homes will be thoroughly checked out, and adoption contract will be required....Would prefer he stay relatively local, in case he needs rescuing again. Only to an experienced, loving, caring home. Please tell me about yourself, your experience, where he would be kept and how, and what you would plan to do with him...Thanks!

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...0250_99150250/
    Last edited by artisticgold; Dec. 25, 2009 at 08:01 PM.

Default Piper the ASB

Hi, I've been back to look at Piper several times, although my husband will definitely be perturbed as we already have 4... three Haflingers (two who ride, one only a yearling) and a Morgan-Percheron cross auction rescue. Said rescue was purchased in 2008 as I've been looking for a finished driving horse and that's how she was billed. She's a petrified fearful driving horse so I've never tried to put her to my Meadowbrook. So when I saw that your boy has some experience, I thought I'd at least check...

We are located in Clifton Springs, NY between Rochester and Syracuse. Where are you in NY? How is Piper with other horses? We have three mares and a gelding. My husband farms, I'm a 20 yr govt employee, and the horses are my fun, my health program and well cared for. We don't show, but ride around our farm and I've been taking some driving lessons to start doing that too. So an experienced driving horse would be ideal, my Haflinger that drives is too green at this point.

Anyways, I thought I would ask even if I don't really need another one. also, my first horse back in '83 was an Arab four yr old, so I have the experience with the hotter breeds. Is this horse high-strung?

Thanks for any input, Lisa

Aw I remember when you found Piper last year. A shame his owner is unable to keep him, but wow what a long way he has come in a year.

Hoping this nice boy finds a good home.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Have you considered contacting Saddlebred Rescue? Maybe they could rehome him for you.

Lisae,

Piper is still available, he is great in harness, he was a Mennonite horse and unflappable in front of a cart. He is very rideable for pleasure, but gets too nervous in the show ring, and his left canter lead is tough for him and he gets anxious. He is super sweet, friendly, and a big clown, he's not really high-strung, but can puff up and act like a lot of horse, but he's very controllable driving. The trainer says 'he is a HOOT to drive'. I will be in touch, and you can come see him if you like at his trainer's barn. They are hoping that he finds a home by the end of Dec, as she has other horses coming in. I'm busy all day today and tomorrow, but if you pm me i can give you my contact info, and we can talk on Saturday, maybe you can come see him.

Flash, yes, this horse needs to find a home again, and if I had room in barn, he'd be coming here until he found his perfect person. In a pinch, I may have to make a stall in the arena for him, until he is placed. I won't put him in jeopardy again.

I may have to contact ASBrescue, if someone doesn't step forward for him soon. I want to be assured of his future health and well-being, he's too nice a horse!

Thanks for the post, I am available this weekend as well. I have my Morg/Perch going out in January for riding training so plenty of room.. I will PM.

BTW, Piper is located in Akron, NY 14001, northeast of Buffalo, just off the I-90...He needs a home by the end of the month,

small Saturday bump for Piper. He really needs a home by the 1st, as the trainer has horses coming in, and his board isn't being paid by current owner. Saddlebred rescue is full, and has 25-30 horses that needs homes, so they can't help. I will try to find a stall somewhere to keep him temporarily if a home isn't found soon, but just don't have a square inch of extra space at my own farm at the moment.

Doesn't someone want a sweet, funny, beautiful riding/driving horse? He's got a super personality, and is very flashy! Help!!

I'm working on the hubby over breakfast - will call later in AM.

N let me ask around at our barn.... BO's daughter spent most of her life riding and driving Saddlebreds, maybe she'd be interested...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Thanks, Flash! It's getting down to crunch time. Either I have to find him a great home by the end of the month, or find a stall to rent to keep him somewhere nearby...

BTW, Saddlebred Rescue can't help, they have 25-30 horses needing homes.

I thought it would be easier to place a seasoned driving horse, guess I was wrong.

PIPER HAS FOUND A WONDERFUL NEW HOME LOCALLY. THANKS ALL.