The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding lessons done via internet?

I recently started taking instrumental lessons using skype. Seeing as how there isn't a trainerwithin a few hundred miles of me, it made me wonder if the same thing would be possible for riding lessons. I'm sure there's a way to get a camera hooked up to a computer so that an instructor could view someone riding live. It'd probably require an extra person to film, and maybe some loud speakers. Has anyone ever heard of something like this being done before?

I just got an email from Jane Savoie, and it sounds like she is setting up something like this - she is taking 6 clients for the program. I wonder how it'll take off!

Well I never!

What is the world coming to?

Virtual lessons! Don't forget your riding hat

Thumbs up

My husband's company has a product that does exactly this. It's an automatic camera system that can be installed in your arena. The video streams live to your instructor in real time. Here's a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amAtX...eature=related

OnAhead... I was wondering the same thing!!!

I have my instructor right down the road (2 miles.) But, am planning a move that will mean a 3 1/2 hour drive! Yuck.. I would love a Skype sort of thing. It would pay for itself in no time!

I've heard of trainers doing video critiques and such, but not "live lessons", though with decent enough camera setup, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. i've taught classes via web cam (bidirectional feed) half a world away and while I certainly PREFER to be there in person, it's still pretty effective.

I personally would rather have someone physically there...especially if I were jumping...and I like the idea of having a trainer who will get on and SHOW me if I'm stuck...but lots of coaches don't throw a leg over anyway, so if this is your only access to someone, why not?

Again, wouldn't be my preference, but in a pinch, I'd rather do it than nothing.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I know some people who have gotten a lot out of video critiques, but never heard of it being "live" - a bit complicated to set up, perhaps, but useful if you can arrange it, I'd think.

Certainly either is more helpful than no trainer at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Well I never!

What is the world coming to?

Virtual lessons! Don't forget your riding hat
    Don't laugh; I've had carriage driving lessons done like that, though not in real time. It was more like I'd e-mail the vid & get comments back by e-mail. It was truly helpful, and I'm deeply grateful to the trainer (now retired) all the way across the USA who took the time!

I'm frankly amazed there's not more of it, esp. in large countries like the USA and Australia, where good trainers simply are not available absent (in some cases) a 3-day haul. It's REALLY well worth the time!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs down

Probably as effective and interesting as internet sex.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

ESG, I'm curious as to why you think it would be so ineffective? I'm sure riding in person is by far preferable, but assuimg you have a high qulity video feed it presumably couldn't be that drastically different.

Hilary H, I LOVE the camera! Even if it wasn't for lessons, what an awesome way to be able to review your riding. Do you know if the camera has to be physically installed somewhere or if it's portable? This is going to make me sound like an absolute hick (ok, I admit it I am one, but I don't actually have an arena to ride in. My current practice area is an airplane runway for bush planes (not paved). Kind of hard to install a camera there when you've got planes taking off and landing through out the day.

One thing that I think might be an incentive for an instructor to be willing to give it a go is the oupportunity to sit down inside in a heated or cool area (depending on the season). I'd think it'd be a nice way to break up the day.

For those of us who can't drive and don't have an instructor who will come to us, this could be a great compromise. NOT as good as someone there in person, but a way to get some instruction..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I agree, posting videos on forums for critique is always helpful. Also very cheap. I mean, ahem, free.

Also if you can navigate around youtube your horse education is endless. I can easily spend an hour studying several videos of trainers/pros, and then I jot down notes and take them to the barn with me.

My husband's company has a product that does exactly this. It's an automatic camera system that can be installed in your arena. The video streams live to your instructor in real time. Here's a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amAtX...eature=related
    Neat idea! I could see why this would be helpful for some people.

What would be tricky is the lag time. I had a lesson today and I'm on a horse that is quick in the mind...I'd have to see what sort of lag time was in place to know if they are seeing me screw up at B about the time I arrive at C...or M

[QUOTE=OnAhead;4566383]
    Hilary H, I LOVE the camera! Even if it wasn't for lessons, what an awesome way to be able to review your riding. Do you know if the camera has to be physically installed somewhere or if it's portable? This is going to make me sound like an absolute hick (ok, I admit it I am one, but I don't actually have an arena to ride in. My current practice area is an airplane runway for bush planes (not paved). Kind of hard to install a camera there when you've got planes taking off and landing through out the day.
    QUOTE]

OnAhead, it currently requires a fixed installation but can be moved if you do. Each new set-up requires about a day or two of reconfiguration of the cameras. It has not been tested in an outdoor environment like you're talking about but we've been using it indoors for approx 3 years and it is extremely helpful, not only for training, but when we are rehabbing a horse to keep a record of how it is going. Thanks for the interest and enthusiasm!

Default One thing you might think about if trying this...

Use cellphones for chat, with so many people having unlimited talk, and blue tooth headsets, would make a lot less stress on the internet connection and probably make the video better...or you might even be able to improve the video because that is all that's going out...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com