The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "International Level" jumpers, spinoff

And another question - I saw when I googled Thomas Edison that he has won some big GPs in the U.S., but does that make him a "top international jumper"? Don't get angry, I am just asking as I am not sure what your requirements are for that category. To me, a top international jumper is one that shows up near the top of the international rankings. The latest WBSFH rankings show Thomas Edison listed in 769th place for show jumpers.
    This post from Down Yonder brings up a very good question. There is frequent discussion about breeding for upper level jumpers and the lack of US bred horses at the top of the sport. It was specifically the reference to the WBSHF rankings that I find interesting. The WBSHF ranking is based only on FEI competition. Looking at the FEI schedule for showjumping over the next eight weeks, there are 6 shows to be held in the US (4 in Florida and 2 in California). In the same time frame and in a smaller geographical area, there will be over 25 shows held in Europe. Almost all competition in Europe is "International" simply due to geography.

In an non-Olympic year, how feasible is it for even our Olympians to earn enough points to achieve a ranking near the top without spending most of the year in Europe? How many of our top professionals who have US based clients can afford to do that?

I am very interested to hear your thoughts.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    In an non-Olympic year, how feasible is it for even our Olympians to earn enough points to achieve a ranking near the top without spending most of the year in Europe?
    They can't.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    How many of our top professionals who have US based clients can afford to do that?

TIA
    Probably not very many.