The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "The check is in the mail".... UPDATE post 33

So, I let an sales horse go out on trial for a month, because she was out of shape etc., to a barn not very far away. Two weeks in I heard she was doing great, they were sending a check the next week. At the end of the month (hah), three days after the trial period was officially, per the signed contract, over, I left an email, a voicemail, and a text msg (over about a 16 hr period) inquiring what was up. Finally got a text back.... oh, they put the check in the mail yesterday! (Still two days late, but hey). So I wait a few days, no check. Leave them a message saying still haven't gotten the check, will they be at the show at such-and-such, and if so could they give me a check then? Sure, no problem. At the show, suddenly the check they put in the mail a week before has turned up as a money order accidentally included in a letter to a third party who just called to let them know they got it, and they can either give me a post-dated check that won't be good until they put the money order funds back in the bank, or get the money order from the third party and bring it straight to my farm first thing Monday morning. I go with the money order on Monday instead of a check that may be good by Wednesday or so. (should have gone with a post-dated check, since then when it wasn't good I could have taken them to court easier).

So Monday, what a surprise, their kid is sick and they have sent the pmt overnight by UPS, will be here by 11 am Tuesday. No UPS shows up on Tuesday. Do they have a tracking number? Sure, they will get it to me when they get home from the barn. And that is the last I've heard from them despite several other messages. I even left two messages to the effect that if they just can't afford the full amount right now (quite frankly, THREE FIGURES, not expensive!), to let me know and we can make "arrangements".

So, what's my next step? Just show up with my trailer and get my horse back?

And people wonder why sellers won't let horses go on trial!

Jennifer
    Last edited by ThirdCharm; Dec. 17, 2009 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post

Yes.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

What a pain!

Do you (or your trainer if you have one) know the barn owners where she's at? If you do, I may explain the situation to the new trainer/bo and ask for their help (either with receiving payment or picking up the horse). If not, I would say pick the horse up, bring her back to you, and tell the owners they can receive her when she's paid for in full.

While it's nice of you to be willing to make arrangements, I would be very concerned about doing that now after all this. You don't want to deal with this situation every single month (or whatever arrangement you make). They're obviously lying to you, and their inability to be honest about the situation concerns me more than anything.

Good luck!

You may ought to go get the horse, because if she can't pay for him, can she take care properly of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You may ought to go get the horse, because if she can't pay for him, can she take care properly of him?
    what Bluey said ...

Quit procrastinating. They aren't going to pay, they can't afford the horse and quite honestly even if they can they are ignorant, rude people who are screwing you around. Give them no notice, hitch up the trailer, go get your horse and hopefully it has had a month's exercise with a decent rider to make it more marketable to some honest person out there.

GO!!! NOW!!!

Do not wait, go get the horse.

Default YES !

And people wonder why sellers won't let horses go on trial!
    Yes ! Go get him - so sorry this has happened to you ! What a struggle! Jingles for a quick pick-up~good luck.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    Quit procrastinating. They aren't going to pay, they can't afford the horse and quite honestly even if they can they are ignorant, rude people who are screwing you around. Give them no notice, hitch up the trailer, go get your horse and hopefully it has had a month's exercise with a decent rider to make it more marketable to some honest person out there.

GO!!! NOW!!!

This.

Especially the no notice before you go get the horse.

Don't wait.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Yup, go get your horse. Don't give them any warning, just turn up with your trailer or truck.

On the upside (possibly) they have put some work into your horse and she's no longer the out-of-shaper she was.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It's like the bumper sticker says... "Ass, Gas, or Grass. Nobody rides for free."

Do you really want this one gone, only to have to restart feeding and marketing him?

If so, then give them an ultimatum and a deadline. They need to pay with money order or cash by x date or you will repossess the horse.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Yes, what Bluey said!-- Now go get your horse!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Where is Dog the Bounty Hunter when you need him. Seriously, as previous posters have said, the horse may be in jeopardy. I'd trailor up, go over there, look them in the eye and say, "I'm here for my horse".

no they have had ample opportunity

go get the horse

if they want it they must pay cash green money in full

print out the chain of e mails etc.

I wonder if they are on time with their board bill

they are dicking around over something 999.00 or lower

they cannot afford a horse
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

One question? Do you know for sure that they still have the horse in their possession?

Quote Originally Posted by DressageFancy View Post
    One question? Do you know for sure that they still have the horse in their possession?

My exact thoughts, for a 3 figure horse.
    Seriously why are you asking us our opinion, surely you know these are super sleaze bags who need pictures left @ every feed store n show sec. office.
    Hope you still have a horse and take your contract and a sheriff w/ you..Good Luck.

Get the horse back-buying a horse is the cheapest and a one time expense.

Well at least you have live people on the other end. I am moving back to L.A. after a few months up north and so am looking for rentals. I saw what looked a really good price for a nice area and so sent an email to them. Here is the response. Who would think scammers target rentals.If it is too good to be true, then I guess it is too good and in your case, they probably hope that you will just forget and stop asking and maybe they might dump the horse somewhere?

"Thanks for your email .I am Mark Janzaruk,the owner of the Apartment you are in renting.Actually I resided in the apartment with my family for some months and we moved away due to my transfer from my working place, my apartment is still available for rent including the utilities like hydro,washer and security,it is furnished.Right now I'm in West Africa for a crusade and i would like you to get in touch with my wife in the United states for more discussion as she is with the keys and the documents to the apartment.Please I want you to note that,i am a kind and honest man and also I spent a lot on my property,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this apartment and I want you to treat it as your own.I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that I will be glad to see it neat when I come for a check up,I do that once in a while.I want to have trust in you as I always stand by my words.Let us know how soon you are willing
    to move in.Email my wife Christina,on "
    [/COLOR]

I wouldn't have waited this long - go get your horse immediately. No notice, (I'd be worried they'd move him if you let them know ahead of time) no negotiation, unless they have cash in hand when you get there horse comes home with you. Let them know they can call and pick him up when they have cash in hand.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Agreed with the others. No notice, no "if you pay by this date then I won't repo him", they are ALREADY way late on the payment.

Hook up the trailer and go get your horse.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!