The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Unhappy I'm at a loss... and, um... you *are* a [jerk]!

There's a horse at the barn I'm at... from what I understand, his owner (26yo girl) has Leukemia and hasn't been out to see the horse since the beginning of the year. Board is electronically transferred to the BO, who has been unable to get in contact with the owner at all.

Last week I peeked into his stall and noticed that his toes were extremely long, and when I took him out of his stall to get a better look this morning, I felt sick. He could barely walk: they're starting to curl up.

Found out that they hadn't been trimmed since February (which is when the girl's second horse was sold; this one won't sell because he's only pasture sound - old tendon issue). So, I asked the BO if I could have them trimmed. She said I could.

Cool, though I wasn't overjoyed at the prospect, as I'm broke, but figured I'd manage somehow and nobody else was volunteering.

The barn's regular farrier came out a few hours later, to work on other horses, and I asked him if he had time to trim another horse. He said he did, but then when he found out which horse it was he refused stating that the owner owed him for two past trims (one on each of her horses). "I'm not touching that horse until I get paid!"

I told him that I didn't know the owner, only knew that she was gravely ill, so could do nothing to help recover his money, but the horse desperately needed a trim and I would be paying him directly, so he wouldn't be out anything for his time today.

He flat out refused. "Not to be a dick, but I run a business!"

I wanted to shove his anvil up his tail.

Really, I just don't get his logic. The horse doesn't know his owner owes the farrier money and he surely can't pay it himself; the owner is *dying* so it's doubtful that he'll ever get paid for the two past trims; he would have been paid for his time this morning; and odds are I'll be adopting the horse's hooves and the horse would have become a regular on his rotation.

What possible difference would it have made for him to work on the animal? I mean, what if the horse had been sold? Would he not have trimmed him for the new owner because the previous owner owed him money? WTF????

In any case, after his second refusal, I turned to the BO and said, "I'll get another farrier in." She thanked me and then he piped in with, "You might want to tell them that the owner owes me money!" I said, "Why would that be any of their concern? I'll be paying them for their work." No response, just grumbles.

-------------------

fwiw, the horse will be trimmed on Friday, I'm switching farriers, and this turned into a rant...

Wow...yeah, great way to do business Mr. Farrier. I understand him wanting to be paid, but since you were taking over the payment for today's services and explained the situation I think that yes indeed, he WAS being a d*^k. And he lost business. Karma's on him. Good on you for helping the horse out.

Wow! You handled that really well. And that's so kind of you to step up and help the horse, I am sure he will be very grateful to walk without pain The world needs more people like yourself.

I wish I was near you. I'd do it for free. Horses first and I don't really care about the rest.

That poor girl is sick. And the horse needs help.

I can understand the farrier not wanting to work for free...but you weren't ASKING him to.

I'm sorry. for you. for her. For the horse most of all.

If you happen to be in MI, I can hook you up.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I hope that farrier is ashamed of himself. He turned away a paying gig, let a horse continue to suffer, AND lost a customer, all in a matter of moments.

Quite the businessman.

Probably not a helpful story...but I just want to illustrate that not everyone is a D!CK.

Horse at my old barn was in bad shape. So bad that I brought it up to the BO and said I would call AC if something wasn't done about the feet. Offered to do it for free.

And I did. For months. Best business decision ever? No. But I'm not a farrier by trade. Still, the horse was movnig better than ever for those few months.

Sometimes we just have to do right by the horse at our OWN expense.

Owner was out of a job, behind in board, and too embarrassed to ask for help. Sometimes you just have to do what's right.

Yet another reason I love my farrier!

I know for a fact that mine was owed more than $600 by someone and he still took care of thier horse. I also know he's charged too little and and given away his services when folks were in a tight spot.

I sure am sorry that farrier was a jerk. Hopefully the 'new' one will be nicer
    Hopefully Karma will take care of you and the d*ck as you deserve
    Y'all ain't right!

You are a hero to that horse. Why has BO not stepped up?
    Farrier is an idiot.

Thanks for stepping up op!!! I'm not sure I would have been so nice...

Not to be the party pooper, but unless the BO has permission to allow the horse to be trimmed, no one should be touching that horse-no matter how ugly it is.

One needs the permission of the owner.

I've got to agree. I would NEVER allow that to happen in my barn. I would find a way to contact owners, call in AC and have them take him, something! I sure wouldn't let it go until he was taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Not to be the party pooper, but unless the BO has permission to allow the horse to be trimmed, no one should be touching that horse-no matter how ugly it is.

Again, oh for Pete's sake. Then as I just said, the BO should have tracked down the owners instead of just continuing to accept their money and allowing the poor guy to go downhill. I would change my policy to include farrier (for this client), and bill them. If they didn't pay up, then an agisters lien would apply, at least in my state.

Agreed on owner permission. But if you can't find the owner, do you just let the horse go?

If every reasonable method has been employed to reach the owner to no avail, ultimately the BO is responsible for the care of the horse. (more should write this sort of care into the contract!).

Farrier care is not optional. It's just not.

No. The barn owner should ensure boarders know that, if horse needs care and it's not getting it from the owner, the BO will get it what it needs and charge the owner for the care plus a charge for the BO's time.

That was also my concern. I have no reason to doubt the OP's word on the horse's condition, but it only takes a little effort to contact the owner or her representative aforehand...and yeah, where is the BO in this situation? Its gone past benign neglect and clearly the person's responsibility who is charge with care of the horse.

If the farrier is otherwise competent, I would probably forgive his expression of frustration and apparent disregard. Anyone can act mean and thoughtless if they are tired, hot, sweaty and haven't been paid and are asked to do just one.more.thing.

I don't expect my farrier to be a diplomat, or even a good businessman.
    (I am glad that he is a bit of both.)
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Agreed on the dick part. Let the farrier know that move cost you as a client, and every one of your close friends.

I agree that I hope someone, somewhere, gets a hold of the owner and can make better arrangements for the horse. Maybe a retirement farm like Paradigm is the best route to go, if they can afford it? At least there his feet won't be forgotten about for nearly a year!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I've got to agree. I would NEVER allow that to happen in my barn. I would find a way to contact owners, call in AC and have them take him, something! I sure wouldn't let it go until he was taken care of.
    Great thinking there, blow it out of proprtion much? The owner is probbably, broke, trying to cope with dying, and you would call AC because you would not do anything without their permission?? Glad you are not my BO. :no

It would give me serious reason to examine the ethics of a barn owner who could allow a horse in her care to deteriorate like that.

It just isn't that hard to use a file.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Dec. 17, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

I guess I better stop getting vet care and farrier work done on a horse I have in my barn as the owner is in a coma and can not give me permission. I'm sure the horse won't mind suffering because of something beyond his control.

Yes, what GCA said:
    "No. The barn owner should ensure boarders know that, if horse needs care and it's not getting it from the owner, the BO will get it what it needs and charge the owner for the care plus a charge for the BO's time"
    double ditto
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.