The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NC Peeps - Horrible Rain Statistic

So today was the first day in over a month that was a consecutive day without rain. That means that at least every other day (and as we know, it was actually many days in a row) it rained.. for over 30 days.

Doesn't that just make you feel ill? My hayman looked like Puddleglum from the Silver Chair when I saw him last week, he told me he has never (he is in his 70's) seen such a wet fall...

I am sending LMEqT's pony to Quail Roost tomorrow so hopefully she can get in some ride time over the Xmas holidays! Poor child, every day she asks me if we can ride yet, every day I tell her the mud is too deep...

at least we are out of the drought!!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

We're experiencing the same thing here in eastern VA. It is gloomy, for sure. Where we live is naturally high and dry, even in wet weather, but it DOES require a few days without rain here and there to drain...which we haven't had!

I'm wondering if we're being prepared for a terrible drought this summer...
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I do feel very fortante to be at a barn wtih an indoor this winter, that's for sure. It never dries out. I walk the dogs along the Neuse River at a local park area and it is so gross and flooded.....yuck!

If I hear the word drought next summer I'm going to scream! Here in southern VA we're the same - rain, rain, and more rain. I'm afraid I'm going to lose all my lesson horses to pulled shoes, pulled soft tissue, or drowning in the mud!

Same here in TX. We had snow, which was amazing and with all the rain the pastures as just a mud pit.

Default same in MS

We "normally" have about 57" of rain/year - this year we have had 77".

I thought I lived in a swamp before, now I really know I live in a swamp!

My ring is alternately a mushy sand pit or a skating rink. One pony did have a floppy shoe yesterday when the farrier came, but fortunately we've not had any pulled shoes. Poor pony had a big nasty spot of rainrot where his butt stuck out of a too small blanket until I ordered him a new one last week. Another pony has rainrot on his forehead again

Cold rain and mud are the worst...

We've had SO much rain here. It just can't dry up. Everytime it starts to, it dumps rain again.

Ugh
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I am so sick of the rain!! It is so depressing. I thank goodness that we have a small indoor, so I have at least been able to ride.

The kids I teach are getting "arena fever" having to be cooped up in the indoor instead of being outside and jumping!

Maybe having all the early rain, will allow us to have a drier winter (hopefully thinking?).

I already can't wait for spring.

And if the sun does dare to come out, it's on Tuesday and Wednesday, so people who are trying to get college students through final exams don't have a prayer of getting out to put the poor horses on a longe line during daylight during the few hours that the ground isn't frozen or totally soggy. The forecast for every Saturday since Thanksgiving has been "wintery mix" of precipitation (which, of course, blows Sunday).

My poor horses are SO depressed and bored ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

It's the same in MD, rain, rain, rain, mud, mud, mud. I am soooo excited that this week its not supposed to rain for 5 days straight!!! Sometimes I seriously look out at all that rain/ mud mess and just want to cry
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I'm in SE Virginia and ditto the mud, mud, mud, gloom, rain, and misery. I'm so sick of it I could spit. I do NOT have an indoor and even with outdoor arenas, I have been grounded when it's not raining (rarely.) My rings were not built (built before I bought the farm) with a good base and I'm just punching through the footing into mud below it.

Our land was reclaimed swamp and even in mid summer you can usually drill a fencepost and hit water...so you can imagine what it's like now. Today the sun is out (YEH!) and there is a gentle breeze, so I'm hoping by tomorrow to be able to work horses again at least.

CT got whomped by rain in late spring and all through summer. I thought this was supposed to be a waning La Nina year...not a full strength one.
    IIRC...for May, June, July and into August I don't think we had more than 2-3 days at a time without rain and had more than one stretch of 25+ days of rain. Getting the hay in took a helluva lot of creative planning. Thankfully the guy I buy hay from was able to get 70% of his fields baled and inside. The other 30% was either left soaked or standing and there were a couple loads that came in and then had to get thrown back out again due to being too wet inside. And although an almost 1/3 loss would normally be an issue...he fired a previous worker who had been there for years and has noticed that even with only 70% of his normal supply in he still has about 800 more bales in supply this year than usual. Apparently that one worker was selling off hay behind the owner's back for years.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuequine View Post
    I am so sick of the rain!! It is so depressing. I thank goodness that we have a small indoor, so I have at least been able to ride.

The kids I teach are getting "arena fever" having to be cooped up in the indoor instead of being outside and jumping!

Maybe having all the early rain, will allow us to have a drier winter (hopefully thinking?).

I already can't wait for spring.
    My horse feels the same way.....I can feel his "unenthusiasm" every day heading to the indoor. But the outdoor ring isn't useable at this time and the trails are mud.

Hey guys, hate to be the messenger of bad news...but just saw this on the WRAL website.....

Saturday sees 'possibility of snow'

Posted: Today at 2:23 a.m.
    Updated: Today at 5:46 a.m.

Raleigh, N.C. — A high pressure system building over central North Carolina is transporting colder air into the region and could bring snow on Saturday.

"It is too early to get into details, but there is the possibility of snow during the day on Saturday," WRAL meteorologist Mike Maze said.

Wednesday will be mostly sunny and cooler with temperatures in the upper 40s to low 50s.

"It will be so nice to see the bright sunshine return to the area, but it comes with a chilly side-kick," said WRAL meteorologist Elizabeth Gardner.

Dry weather and sunshine will prevail until Friday when another storm system moves into the area.

"The rain will arrive late Friday and continue into Saturday," WRAL Chief Meteorologist Greg Fishel said.

The weather system has the potential to bring some wet snow to the state. The track of the storm and the amount of cold air available will determine whether or not wintry precipitation forms.

I was considering posting a similar thread myself. I need hay. But there haven't been enough clear days to go get it. I don't buy enough to get it delivered and nobody could back a heavy load down to my barn without getting stuck anyway.

Plus this weather is just depressing. I don't how folks in the PNW stand it. And now that fool Fish-face is calling for snow on Sat. I can't stand it. Whatever happened to the sunny South? (And you all have permission to slap me next summer when we're in a drought. )
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Sleepy....

I remember going with someone to Rochester NY for a January Wedding about 10 years ago.....I remember thinking...I could never live it (it was gloomy, wet, the entire week)...and now we are having the same weather here in NC.

The only good news for me is...I'm the only crazy nut who exercises their dogs in all weather..rain, sleet, snow....so I have had the parks to myself lately..that part I enjoy.

Maybe that accounts for my bad mood. I have not ridden since Thanksgiving weekend. I am bored out of my mind.
    Pamela Ellis

Let's not even talk about my backyard I have a fenced back yard and a big white dog who cannot use the back yard because if you leave him for 5 minutes he becomes a big black and white paint dog.
    Thankfully my barn has an indoor and really great drainage in the outdoor.
    Im wondering what's going to happen to first cutting this year.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I'm lucky since I have so much pasture that I can rotate and avoid the muddy gate situation to a certain extent which is really nice considering the average age of my horse population is in the mid 20's. When we built the barn and riding arena my husband spent considerable time (and money) building the foundation up so it would drain in wet weather. For the first few years we were in a drought and I wasn't a very nice person when I had to sprinkle the riding arena every day, but this season I'm a happy girl. I can ride almost every day. However riding in the rain hasn't been kind to my tack and this weather hasn't been kind to my arthritis.For the first time in several years I had a horse with an abcess and one with fungus. Y'know I don't think that this has been above normal for this area. I think we've forgotten since we have had 4 years of dry weather. Let's hope it ends soon. Would love to hear what some are you doing with your horses in this less than ideal footing.