The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse's ex-farrier comes back as fireman and saves her from fire!

Stories about barn fires always terrify me, but I read this news because it had a good ending. Imagine the luck that the fireman and the horse already knew each other. What a close call.

http://www.barnmice.com/forum/topics...ads-horse-from

Tremendous luck there. What a stupid, brave move he made for that lucky mare. I'm sorry for the loss of their facility but so happy no horses or people went with it.

Thumbs up Paul Williams -- MAJOR HERO!!!!!!

This man is not only my farrier, he is my hero. We literally watched the fire from our porch last night, not realizing that it was Greenmoor Commons. Found out about it this morning and am still shaking. We moved to PA last summer and almost boarded there because it was so close to our house, but ended up at another facility instead.

Paul has been working over the last few years with a number of local fire depts, most of which are volunteer, to train them for horse rescues during fires. Had a fire at the Meadows track a couple years ago and the fire dept guys (who were not horse people) didn't know what to do to get the horses (who were freaking out) out of the barns. Paul was there, got the horses out, and started his mission of training his fellow firemen so that they would know what to do.

My barn manager recommended Paul for shoeing my big-pig warmblood, and Fras adores Paul. Thank God for Paul Williams, he is a wonderful man and a HUGE HORSE HERO!!!!!

On another note, I know that "2 tbs" had at least one horse boarded in that barn as of Sept, I talked w/ her in Sept about boarding there. I have sent her an email to see if she and her horse(s) are ok, and if they need anything, will post an update if I hear back from her.

What a HUGE Hero!! My BIL trains guys to rescue people from mountains, and elevators, and cliffs, ect. There really is a NEED for Paul and if you have his contact info I would love to pass it along to my BIL, he works in Bucks County PA and there are TON of horse farms there that could have the same issues, maybe he could train the guys in that area as well. I know my BIL gets paid well for his expertise sounds like Paul should be getting paid for his as well.
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Default hellerkm

will PM you the phone no.

I heard about the fire at work. One of the girl's I work with told me, but she thought I boarded there. My BO used to run Greenmoore, but thankfully am not there. Glad everyone got out, as I do know a few of the boarders. It's a small community in a lot of ways.

Luckily this was the first test of the equine emergency response training the N. Strabane Township firefighters received a few months ago. I'm glad they have instituted that training with the track there, as well as a lot of private and boarding barns.

A bit of a more in-depth report from the local paper.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...ecil-barn-fire

lucky ponies...

Wow! Paul is a hero! So glad all the ponies made it out safely!