The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Flipper d'Elle...Has anyone here used his semen? Or, Pics of foals by him?

I am thinking of breeding a large framed mare by Alexis Z/Diskus/Gotthard to Flipper d'Elle. Has anyone bred to this stallion or have foals by him? How was his semen quality? I would love to see pics! If you bred to him, what type of mare did you use? I am looking to add quick reflexes and blood to this mare. She, herself is 16.3, large framed, slightly long through her back (but it is a strong back) good athletic gaits. She has plenty of scope, her half brother, Noble 1, was ridden in Grand Prix's with Jonathan Millar. I love Flipper, but not sure his conformation would suit hers, though haven't seen the best pics of him. If you have a breeding suggestion, I am happy to hear alternate ideas as well. TIA!

Last edited by andy.smaga; Dec. 15, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

Julia of Heaven Sporthorses is expecting a 2010 Flipper d'Elle foal from a Peter Pan mare.

Her website: http://havensporthorses.com/default.aspx - scroll down half-way on the page.
    ~Christina~ Keur-Wood Stables
    Breeders of Dutch and Swedish Warmbloods
    Standing approved Buckskin Swedish Warmblood Stallion, CATAPULT
    http://www.superiorwarmblood.com

there is a Flipper filly at Zaffiro Farm in NJ who looks very nice. I have heard that the semen is excellent and very fertile but not sure.

http://www.zaffirofarm.com/
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Sorry our Zaffiro Farm website is severely lacking and out of date. A new one should role out sometime in early 2010.

You can see the Flipper filly at a few days old in the upper left of the gallery here:

http://continentalstudbook.com/index-3.html

He refined the Holsteiner mare significantly. The foal is a very modern performance type (right balance of weight, bone, etc, not too light, not too heavy), very good mover, calm and brave mind. I was very happy with the results.

Pretty filly Zaffiro. How was the semen quality? What was your experience with it? How many cycles?

Andy, thank you for posting pics of some of his offspring!

I'm giving frozen a try for 2 cycles, and then I am going to focus on getting her in foal with fresh. So, I'll be looking for something in the States as a good alternative back up.

Thumbs up Flipper

Semen quality is excellent! And the mare you have to cross with him is very desirable and recommended for Flipper d'Elle. That is going to be an amazing foal. The Peter Pan mare is out of a Gotthard line mare so will be interesting to see as what your mare produces too. I used ERConcepts in VA. Great place and 13 year old mare took on 1 dose. She had one foal in Holland 8 years ago. They also have the semen in stock there so it doesn't have to be shipped out if you live near by? It is a 3-hour drive for me, but well worth it.
    Home of Five Kings HsH (Eurocommerce Berlin x Diamant de Semilly x Quidam de Revel) and several top bred mares www.hshorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrossWinds81 View Post
    Pretty filly Zaffiro. How was the semen quality? What was your experience with it? How many cycles?

Andy, thank you for posting pics of some of his offspring!

I'm giving frozen a try for 2 cycles, and then I am going to focus on getting her in foal with fresh. So, I'll be looking for something in the States as a good alternative back up.

Semen quality was good. We used a full dose (no splitting), and used post ovulation 6 hour insemination at ERC where it is stored. Mare was a 5 year old maiden, and conceived on first cycle.

If you don't get conception after 2 cycles with this semen, something is likely not right.

Wink Flipper

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffiro Farm View Post
    Semen quality was good. We used a full dose (no splitting), and used post ovulation 6 hour insemination at ERC where it is stored. Mare was a 5 year old maiden, and conceived on first cycle.

If you don't get conception after 2 cycles with this semen, something is likely not right.
    Agreed.
    Home of Five Kings HsH (Eurocommerce Berlin x Diamant de Semilly x Quidam de Revel) and several top bred mares www.hshorses.com

Smile Flipper foal

The Peter Pan mare in foal to Flipper d'Elle is due May 23, 2010. Pictures will be posted. She is getting huge.

Default Flipper d'Elle X Peter Pan filly-Fosmanta HsH

Here is the outcome of Flipper d'Elle crossed with Peter Pan X Godehard.

http://havensporthorses.com/images/F...%20HsH1day.jpg

We tried unsuccessfully to have our Zorri conceive with one full dose of Flipper d'Elle for an ET. Unfortunately there was no embryo when she was flushed. The vet is top notch, the mare clean, and the semen excellent. Maybe the theory that mares in competition are not as fertile held...

Just one of those things....we will try again another season
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

What is the temperament and rideability of Flipper d'Elle like?

Quote Originally Posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
    What is the temperament and rideability of Flipper d'Elle like?
    No one in the states would have one under saddle unless imported. I think that the oldest are only 2 this year.

Maybe some Europeans or someone with an import would know, but I do not think there are that many older ones running around yet, in general, except possibly at Haras National.

I hate it when people make suppositions about rideability from ground handling (there are no correlations except for fearfulness and braveness), but I have a yearling and will try to make some comments. The dam was/is quite brave, curious and trainable but also had a good amount of blood (from Landgraf) under saddle. She is a little old fashioned in appearance (from Corrado). In general, I think that the dam is producing better than herself physically and making a nice balanced horse that is very desired today.

The Flipper yearling that I have is more typey, has a very nice head, almost a hunter appearance in body, and better movement. The topline and back are also better than the dam's (who was a 7.95 herself when inspected by Bernard Le Courtois at the last SF tour). The yearling has always had her mom's brave, curious, in your lap nature. She doesn't have much of a flight response and doesn't question situations, trailers, new surroundings, etc., so Flipper did not seem to add any negative in terms of skiddishness, fearfulness, etc. I find these things to transfer to riding in the adult horse, so it is good that they are absent. I expect the filly to have the right amount of blood, but so did the dam.

Legs, joints and feet are excellent, but they were good in the dam too. Again, Flipper didn't mess anything up there.

The filly is looking like a 16-16.1 H horse to me when done, and the dam is about 16.2-16.3 H.

[QUOTE=Sakura Hill Farm;4890316]We tried unsuccessfully to have our Zorri conceive with one full dose of Flipper d'Elle for an ET. Unfortunately there was no embryo when she was flushed. The vet is top notch, the mare clean, and the semen excellent. Maybe the theory that mares in competition are not as fertile held...

Pedro Jou often suggested to clients to hold off working/competing if they wanted ETs to happen. This would save him grief, and the clients money.
    Makes perfect sense. A female of any species is not in top baby making shape when they are in top performance shape.
    Maybe try again when you can give the mare a good break for a bit, before she goes back into the ring? Then you can just freeze the embryo until you want to have it flushed.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffiro Farm View Post
    No one in the states would have one under saddle unless imported. I think that the oldest are only 2 this year.

Maybe some Europeans or someone with an import would know, but I do not think there are that many older ones running around yet, in general, except possibly at Haras National.

I hate it when people make suppositions about rideability from ground handling (there are no correlations except for fearfulness and braveness), but I have a yearling and will try to make some comments. The dam was/is quite brave, curious and trainable but also had a good amount of blood (from Landgraf) under saddle. She is a little old fashioned in appearance (from Corrado). In general, I think that the dam is producing better than herself physically and making a nice balanced horse that is very desired today.

The Flipper yearling that I have is more typey, has a very nice head, almost a hunter appearance in body, and better movement. The topline and back are also better than the dam's (who was a 7.95 herself when inspected by Bernard Le Courtois at the last SF tour). The yearling has always had her mom's brave, curious, in your lap nature. She doesn't have much of a flight response and doesn't question situations, trailers, new surroundings, etc., so Flipper did not seem to add any negative in terms of skiddishness, fearfulness, etc. I find these things to transfer to riding in the adult horse, so it is good that they are absent. I expect the filly to have the right amount of blood, but so did the dam.

Legs, joints and feet are excellent, but they were good in the dam too. Again, Flipper didn't mess anything up there.

The filly is looking like a 16-16.1 H horse to me when done, and the dam is about 16.2-16.3 H.

I really think baywithchrome was asking about the stallion's rideability and temperament. I could well be wrong though.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    I really think baywithchrome was asking about the stallion's rideability and temperament. I could well be wrong though.
    I know, and I hate it when people imply riding will be great based on foal handling, so I avoided saying anything about future rideability or jumping.

I just wanted to try and give some kind of feedback because there are none under saddle here yet, as I pointed out.

Default Flipper

www.havensporthorses.com updated pics of the Flipper d'Elle foal, I love the cross and I would breed the cross again! The foal has a lot of energy and is on her 2 hind legs a lot, lol. Very athletic but so is her dam