The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Hip View Post
    Something I don't quite understand. I have walloped horses in the past with a rope halter and have never, ever had them develop any nose bumps. I don't use any BNT halters with the extra knots, only the 'normally' tied rope halters. That might be the difference. I don't see how you can do the damage with rope halters that you could with a chain. I think the trainer probably used a regular halter and chain. I've seen nose bumps come up from a bosal too.

The nose bumps I've seen have all gone down with time. If you want to show at halter, use a chunkier halter with LOTS of silver to 'hide' the flaw.

Clinton Anderson used to use a heavier, stiffer rope w/o extra nose knots. Now he's using thin, soft, super pliant rope with extra nose knots- ouch.

Yesterday I saw a Stacey Westfall rope halter with a raised 'wrapper' around the nose, like a corkscrew. Good heavens, why is that necessary? Timing and feel can teach 99.9% of horses to respect a plain, stiff rope halter.

I bet you dollars to doughnuts Mr Trainer tied OPs' horse's head down and back to sore his face up. Snubbed Mr Balls for Brains down to get his attention.

If this stud is so bad on the ground to handle...why is he still toting his equipment? I recall a cutting horse guy saying when a stud gets bad, and an owner refuses to cut him...the owner gets the pleasure of hauling and stalling said horse at the shows. Cures that romance pretty quick
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Well the nose bumps can go either way... A friend of mine had one with a perminent nose lump, apparently from a chain shank and an angry handler. It had been done years previously from my friend's ownership of the horse. That one stayed unchanged, but it wasn't a halter horse so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I had a two year old filly at the track. My horses tend to LIKE people, and this ODD and sensitive filly was no exception. She would reach her nose out towards people who came past her stall, to greet them. One particularly bad attitude groom was the one I attributed the injury to (employed in an adjoining barn, hotwalked past my filly's stall), I presume belted her extended welcoming nose, causing the filly to throw her head up and crack the bridge of her nose on the stall crossbar. When I got there the next morning, my filly looked like a budding rhinosaurus. The bump was several inches high, and above the cartilege of the nose, it was probably a crack in the bone. It went down, eventually, in a couple of years. Maybe not entirely down, but for the most part. The groom whom I felt was the guilty party was years later found shot in the head, execution style, in the trunk of a car. She ran with a bad crowd. But perhaps it was karma.

So your horse's nose injury could go either way, time will tell. Good luck with it. Perhaps karma will strike and even the score for you as well.

I did Parelli for a few years and did some rather exuberant rope-halter shanking myself (I know better now, don't worry). I never caused sores or bumps on my mare's nose--and she wore that rope halter daily for the better part of 3 years.

I'm not condoning the alleged brutality, but--if you sent a rank colt out to be trained, you had to expect that trainer might have to get a little firm with him, no? Like I said, cruelty/brutality is unacceptable, but sometimes you have to get pretty aggressive to make your point, especially with a stallion.

Is it possible that the sores/bumps were caused by one particularly bad session? One of those battles that you have to 'win' so to speak?

I once saw an NH trainer get downright harsh with a young-ish QH--but she had to because the horse was trying to take her out during trailer loading. Wouldn't respect her space, jumped off the ramp on top of her repeatedly, would rear when asked to back--you name it. He just kept coming at her no matter what. He had welts on his face from the rope halter, but they were necessary IMO.

Just my .02.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Clinton Anderson used to use a heavier, stiffer rope w/o extra nose knots. Now he's using thin, soft, super pliant rope with extra nose knots- ouch.

Yesterday I saw a Stacey Westfall rope halter with a raised 'wrapper' around the nose, like a corkscrew. Good heavens, why is that necessary?
    I haven't seen those, but, then again, I don't follow CA and SW either. This I have to see!

Someone posted (sorry, I'm not computer literate and can't get the second quote) about maybe the trainer did what he had to do to get colt's undivided attention. I'm in agreement mostly, as long as colt needs some getting with the program. When you're with an obnoxious horse, sometimes you have to do things on the spur of the moment to keep yourself safe and teach the horse a lesson. But...from this side of a computer screen, it seems that maybe a trainer should have done such and such and not done so much 'harsh' teaching. Second guessing is a pretty heady thing, especially when it comes to horses!!

If the colt was obnoxious, sounds from your post he was, he certainly needed a little respect drilled into his head(s), both of them. That he's a halter horse and his looks may/might be ruined is just hard luck. Better he have manners and not hurt you or others in the area and have a little bump than to let him run over anyone but look perfect. I still think the bump will go down over time.

BOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hip View Post
    I haven't seen those, but, then again, I don't follow CA and SW either. This I have to see!
    Lordy don't start no rumor bout me and following dear CA. I might follow him in a bar if I thought he was buying, that's about it I know who used to make his halters, and I know what he's using now- to my mind- is more razor wire than rope in how you can pop one with it.

And I just saw the SW halter at the feed store whilst browsing- saw that noseband and thought is that thing unraveling? Touched it to see, and nope, there's her name on it. I like Stacey, and who knows if she knows she's promoting a corkscrew halter
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

The trainer does not use chains. No chain was used on him. I know that for a fact.
    Yes he did misbehave at the trainers when he 'pushed his buttons' He admits he had to get tough as the horse got away from him too.

There were no bumps on the nose on the day he was picked up. Just missing hair and rubs from where the knots were. I was not concerned.

It has only been in the last couple of weeks that the bumps have started. I can only assume the damage was there and the raising is the bone trying to repair and laying down scar tissue.
    Nothing has happaned in his time since being at home that could have caused them.

As I have stated I have always used rope halters in the past and have never caused damage to a horses face. But then I have never been as brutal as this trainer was
    to get his attention.
    Last edited by WildWest; Jan. 14, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
    Don't Squat With Your Spurs On.

There are certain types of rope halters that are made with a very stiff marine rope that can actually burn and cut the horse. I bought one of the stiffer ones, thinking my 2 year old would respect it more - and he did. However, even with just minor shanking, nothing crazy, he did get a small cut and a bump on his nose from the knot. It's just a very unforgiving type of rope. I have since taken some vet wrap and wrapped it around the nose area and knots - it still works beautifully, horse respects this halter a lot more then the soft rope ones - but the vet wrap is a lot less irritating to his skin.

It's been a month and the bump is still there, the cut has long since healed. It's about the size of a gum drop. I haven't been too worried about it because he's not a halter horse, and when his bridle is on the noseband pretty much covers it.

Maybe you can find a show halter with a wide noseband that would cover the bumps? Make sure the halter is adjusted "just right" so that the noseband lays directly over the bumps, hiding them.

In the meantime, I agree with DMSO treatment once the cuts heal.

If the majority of the swelling came up since he arrived home, it might be worth checking for broken bone. I knew a mare who developed TWO HUGE bumps on her forehead, off center. Vet's first thought was tumor. Turns out she had sustained a kick at some unknown time, and broken the bone between here eyes, basically where her central whorl was. Took a long time, but both bumps went down over the course of two years or so. Mare did NOT display any suspicious tenderness or sensativity to palpation either. (Mare also blew out both knees on the track, so for a while she really was a lumpy mess!)
    Good luck, sounds like you are trying to do the right thing. DMSO is always worth a shot if the skin is no longer open.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I had a stupid boyfriend that got mad and punched my horse in the face.My horse got a huge bump just in front of and below the pointy part of the cheek bone.Right on the edge of his nasal cavity.I had the vet out.He did not xray.Said there could be a small fracture but it didnt interfure with breathing,eating etc.

It was very big for about 3 months then went dowm gradually and left a very small indent.Hardly noticeable.A show halter covored it very well because of where it was.

Hope your babies goes down too!

I just wanted to report that the bump on my horse's nose from the rope halter has gone down significantly; I hadn't really been able to tell under the winter hair, but today I really felt around for it and could barely find it.

So there's hope for your guy yet! It took about 6 weeks for me to see significant improvement. I used a little vitamin E oil on it when it first happened and was raw, but nothing since.

I have an arab horse that just has a tremendous amount of go. He hated bits, so I used a Little S hackamore that has a hard rope over his nose. He developed a pretty good bump under that rope. He was just a hard horse to slow down. We used a lot of half halts, SeeSaw the reins etc to get him to rate his speed during endurance and CTR events.

As he matured and mellowed out, we needed less pressure to keep him under control and his bump went away.

So yes you have a bump on his nose. But it will go away if you don't continue putting the same pressure on him. Maybe switch ( if you have not already) to a web halter until the bumps go away. It won't happen over night, but they will go away.

My horse came in with a cut on her nose just to the side of the bridge of her nose and some swelling. I treated the cut(didn't require stitches) and that healed fine. However the swelling never went away. It was a big enough bump that you could see it over the bridge of her nose when you were standing on the opposite side. My mare was to be a show horse as well. I was so upset. The next time the vet came out we had him check it. He said she probably got kicked in the face and sustained a fracture. No treatment. So in desperation I tried putting DMSO on the area and then put a magnet disk in a tube sock tied to her halter. I did this every time I brought her in to be groomed and tacked. It took several months, but it gradually went down. If you look for it, you can see the small scar and very slight lump that remains.

Just a question. Is it possible it could be tooth bumps?

Some of our 3 year olds look misshapen and awful because of tooth bumps. This can carry over to year 4. Have an equine dentist look to see if there are retained tooth caps.

A slight injury on top of a tooth bump can look horrible.

If one of my three year olds came back from a trainer looking like this, I might think there was force used, but in some bloodlines tooth bumps and caps can really make a mess of their face for a while.