The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I've saved $322 in the last 2 weeks!

Yep, I saved $322.00 by NOT buying 46# of pecans.

So far, I've harvested 46# from one pecan tree, and there could be another bucket still on the ground (10-12#). Wally's is selling them also in shell for $7/#

The other 2 trees were also full, but their nuts are much smaller, so I don't even bother with them. We have very well fed squirrels all winter just on pecans, not to mention all the acorns we have..

Pecan pie anyone?!

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

It was a bumper crop year for nuts here in CT too. I have hickory, beechnut and oak trees. And now I have really obese squirrels, LOL!
    I don't harvest the nuts...this year walking on my front yard was like trying to walk on marbles...darned slidey! I removed 7 wheelbarrows full from the lawn area alone. Another one of just acorns from the paddock.
    Not sure how many lbs, but a lot. I was cursing an awful lot.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

We had a BUMPER crop of walnuts here this year! We have a 12 acre walnut orchard that really is just "the boy pasture", but this was the best crop of walnuts we've ever had.

We invited everyone we know to pick up as many as they wanted, and anyone who stopped by and asked also.

Last year there were NONE to pick up -- this year it was amazing!

We make walnut pie, instead of pecan -- made with the same recipe, but with walnuts substituted for the pecans. It is divine!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

The strange part is, we had a bumper crop last year too. It's unheard of to have 2 in a row.

We've actually had bumper crops of all our nuts 3 out of the past 4 years. Unbelieveable!

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

By this logic I probably have $500 of tangelos in the back yard! They're almost ready -- they taste great, just waiting for the skins to loosen.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Wendy, when you get to GA, maybe you'll have peach or pecan trees.

I'd love to have a peach tree!

Wendy/Yip
    NC

I had a bumper crop, too. Not of pecans - but of chestnuts, acorns, hickory and beech nuts. Fed them to the pigs but kept some chestnuts for home use. They're pretty expensive!

Peaches have been an utter failure - they get some sort of wilting virus and shrivel up.

Same with apples - cedar apple rust. Too many cedars.

Maybe I'll try planting pecan trees instead......

yip - do you sell them or just keep them for home use?

I just keep them for ny own use and give lots away. They're kind of like zucchini, beware of people walking toward after church with Wal-Mart bags, LOL! And never leave your vehicles unlocked!

I have shipped some to fam. up North, but they're really expensive to ship.

Yip

Quote Originally Posted by Yip View Post
    I have shipped some to fam. up North, but they're really expensive to ship.
    Yip
    USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate boxes. You could fit a lot of pecans in the medium or large ones:
    https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/sto...WT.ac=10000036

Equus Keepus Brokus

Wow

I had a bumper crop of black walnuts and fat squirrels everywhere and damned black walnuts stuck into every crevice and every bale of hay imagineable

I hate the damned things

I wish there was something we could do with them instead of collect them up and dump them out back for the wild turkeys and squirrels to eat

Anyone want to trade some black walnuts for something edible???!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Freaky! We had a bumper crop of acorns from our oaks here! Weird.

I heard a story on NPR about wild nut trees and their "nut cycles"---there is no cycle! They have tried to track when or why trees have heavy crops and there is no rhyme or reason or pattern. All I know is, we had about a million of the damn things from our two biggest oaks. I caught the geldings munching away on several occasions, but, thanks to COTH, I know that is not a serious problem.

I did rake up most of them. Our apples sucked, though. Good blackberry crop, but short season this year.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

TrueColors...black walnut trees I think are considered one of the desirable hardwoods. In many places if you have good mature hardwoods a logger will come remove them for free if they get to keep the wood...or I've even heard of some folks getting *paid* for removal of their hardwoods.
    Around here I could get someone to come take my few huge oaks for free *if* they weren't close to my house and/or the road (apparently some loggers can't drop them where they aim for I guess). Otherwise I'd have the oaks gone in a heartbeat. This fall I got beaned at least 10 times per day on the head from dropping acorns, they fill my rain gutters, dent the cars and make my yard impossible to walk across. Not to mention those stupid trees wait forever to drop their leaves in fall but aren't shy at all about flinging down huge branches for no good reason. Messy annoying things!

The hickories...if those things hit you on the head you tend to forget your name and social security number for an hour or two. Either that or run back into the house to answer the phone.

That wasn't ringing.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

LOL!!!

I think the real reason loggers don't want trees from close to houses, people tend to pop nails in them for odd and odder reasons. tears the equipment up (or the operator...)

BTW, is there a use for hickory nuts - other than fattening squirrels?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We also had a bumper crop of persimmons. My mares were gorging on them till I figures out why I only saw them in one area of the pasture. I'm hoping the deer are eating them. Later in the winter, the deer will come up by my back door and eat the acorns. They're like marbles here too.

Yip

Alagirl- YES! hickory nuts are delicious to eat plain, for cooking, etc BUT they are a lot of work to shell, clean, etc Very tedious, but very yummy!
    Yip- I am SOOOO jealous! Pecans are my favorite!!!

We too had a bumper crop of hickories and acorns--maybe all the rain this summer...

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    TrueColors...black walnut trees I think are considered one of the desirable hardwoods. In many places if you have good mature hardwoods a logger will come remove them for free if they get to keep the wood...or I've even heard of some folks getting *paid* for removal of their hardwoods.
    Around here I could get someone to come take my few huge oaks for free *if* they weren't close to my house and/or the road (apparently some loggers can't drop them where they aim for I guess). Otherwise I'd have the oaks gone in a heartbeat. This fall I got beaned at least 10 times per day on the head from dropping acorns, they fill my rain gutters, dent the cars and make my yard impossible to walk across. Not to mention those stupid trees wait forever to drop their leaves in fall but aren't shy at all about flinging down huge branches for no good reason. Messy annoying things!

The hickories...if those things hit you on the head you tend to forget your name and social security number for an hour or two. Either that or run back into the house to answer the phone.

That wasn't ringing.
    I feel your pain, but cringe at the thought of cutting down mature hardwoods! I'd take a yard full of hardwoods over darned pine trees - besides, I love the look of a big old oak in the summer, spreading beautiful shade and cleaning the air!

I would love to have a good pecan tree in the yard - I love pecans and find shelling them to be therapeutic to my soul (I'm not too weird, I used to shell with my grandfather).
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Quote Originally Posted by tucktaway View Post
    Alagirl- YES! hickory nuts are delicious to eat plain, for cooking, etc BUT they are a lot of work to shell, clean, etc Very tedious, but very yummy!
    Yip- I am SOOOO jealous! Pecans are my favorite!!!

We too had a bumper crop of hickories and acorns--maybe all the rain this summer...

are you serious?! I have 3 trees in the front yard... the size of large marbles....the nuts, not the trees....

I didn't think they are crackable tho....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We had a bumper crop of acorns this year, which has made for a crappy deer season. They are staying farther in the swamp bottoms & woods and not showing much interest in harvested fields.

And pecans? We haven't had any for the past 4 years. This year, we can't keep 'em picked up. My mom has picked up over 800# so far~ beautiful, fat ones. We'll be giving alot of candied and shelled pecans as presents this year!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I had a bumper crop, too. Not of pecans - but of chestnuts, acorns, hickory and beech nuts. Fed them to the pigs but kept some chestnuts for home use. They're pretty expensive!

Peaches have been an utter failure - they get some sort of wilting virus and shrivel up.

Same with apples - cedar apple rust. Too many cedars.

Maybe I'll try planting pecan trees instead......

yip - do you sell them or just keep them for home use?
    JS, where are you in the country?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.