The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default body clipping my yearling to show. must I?

I'd like to show my boy in hand in February and it seems as th9ugh a full body clip is pretty standard but feels counterintuitive and unfair to me. they ALL live outdoors, its winter. mine had a pretty nice coat even in winter, will I lose for not being clipped? and the ears, will a nice trim do or do I really need to go for it. i just hate the idea of his being chilly unnecessarily.

If it's rated, I'd go all out. If it's a schooling show, probably not necessary. Can you blanket for about a week so his hair is laying down?

If you want to start in Feb. your going to have to unless you keep him under lights. I've already body clipped my babies. They are out during the day and in at night. They don't seem cold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redlabelsmall.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	27453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redhotsmall1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	27454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rabbitridgesm.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	27455  
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    If you want to start in Feb. your going to have to unless you keep him under lights. I've already body clipped my babies. They are out during the day and in at night. They don't seem cold.
    What three lovely youngsters... all Redwine offspring?

I was hoping to start taking two of my fillies out in February, but it seems there are no DSHB shows that early.. I had intended to clip them in late December. First show for me will be with the Welsh ponies in April, I'm going to put them under lights and try a flax supplment to try to deal with the hair (try convincing a Welsh to completly shed out before June, not easy..).

Although one of my Half Welsh fillies who has been wearing a blanket since the weather starting getting cold could show right now no problem... my Oldenburg filly is SO hairy, she's also been wearing a blanket. I think lights are a good idea I would put the yearling under lights now though if you want it shed out by February. My mares are going under lights next week for breeding purposes (I'm a little late on that this year). I've never had any experiance with the flax supplements, but have heard good things about them on here, so I'm going to give it a shot. Might be worth a try?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

You need at least 90 days under lights to get a horse shed out. Many need 120 days.

I'd just clip and be done with it, at this point.

Maybe you will have better luck but my weanlings were under lights last year (well, my mares were under lights but the babies were also in the barn at night) and they did NOT shed out when my mares did. I ended up body clipping for a show in June!

I am in the same boat with my guy. he will be 2 in feb and our first show starts mid march.

I was hoping that he will start to shed out in Feb, but I will have to wait and see.

He is a little furry now, so I may have to body clip.

If you were to show in March, when would you body clip? I have heard the 3 month and 3 week rule, but I don't now which is better! I would think that in 3 months, their hair would just grow back!

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    What three lovely youngsters... all Redwine offspring?
    Yes, thanks they are Redwine's. One yearling and two weanlings. I'm hoping I don't need to rebodyclip.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

You need to clip if you want to be taken seriously at a rated show. Hopefully you don't have a chestnut that turns into a big pumpkin! If you are worried about it being cold outside, you could always use a turnout.
    Lisa Coletto
    Standing Elite Hanoverian stallion, Cabalito
    www.pecannuts@aol.com

oklay then. he dpoes ;loive indoor at night and it is califprnia at least. so 3 weeks before?

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    First show for me will be with the Welsh ponies in April, I'm going to put them under lights and try a flax supplment to try to deal with the hair (try convincing a Welsh to completly shed out before June, not easy..).
    I can get a show coat on most of my ponies for the April shows, but it takes work!

Here are two of my girls LAST April at the first show of the season (60 days into actual show prep after being turned out for the winter -- WITH blankets).

Name:	martinabrooktrot01.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	27456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	memebrooktrot01.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	27457  
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    I can get a show coat on most of my ponies for the April shows, but it takes work!

Here are two of my girls LAST April at the first show of the season (60 days into actual show prep after being turned out for the winter -- WITH blankets).
    Care to share your secrets? LOL.

Your ponies always look totally show ready and gorgeous, I'm envious! I'm planning to take my new stallion out for the first time at the Brookside show in April, he's a red roan, and I think he would just look funky clipped. I clipped a bay roan mare I used to own once and it was NOT pretty.

Here's Solomon from that same show last April:
    http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...mon-show21.jpg

Hair, so much hair. I had worked HARD to even get that much off of him. I'm probably not gonna bring Solomon out this year until I get him driving. However, 'Romeo' will be showing a lot, and he has so much more hair... joy. I don't have a blanket on him, he's been here for less than a month, and he has a stall, so I haven't bothered with a blanket. I guess it might be a good idea to put the lights on him now, and start blanketing.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

your guys are all SO cute now i'm initimidated. here's my boy. he'll perk up i suspect at a new barn (is lazy here) but am i just torturing him? is he going to be competitive? he's 19 months here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx2cvvrVWk8

Quote Originally Posted by tisor View Post
    your guys are all SO cute now i'm initimidated. here's my boy. he'll perk up i suspect at a new barn (is lazy here) but am i just torturing him? is he going to be competitive? he's 19 months here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx2cvvrVWk8
    He's very cute. Aren't we going to be at the same shows? You'll do great and we will have a good time. Who is your baby by?

He's a Corlando. :-)
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Very nice. I love Corlando, I just added one to my broodmare band, she's out of one of my mares.

Name:	Corlandia_del_mar.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	27458  

oh grayfox yes - petaluma eh? I do wish there were more "nice" shows around for our babies. think we can petition menlo for ONE breeders class? and with pebble only doing one show this year? bah.

maybe i should come visit and get some pointers from the pros up there!!! I have no idea what I'm doing.

BTW I am planning on dressing my yearling up as a reindeer on Sunday, bells, antlers and all. so clearly I'm a pro.

and yes, as Kinsella said, he's a Corlando baby out of a thoroughbred maiden mare. It's the corlando in him that will tolerate the antlers and sleigh bells.

grayfox. just looked at your site. ping me about paisley wouldja?

question 2. will i never win anyway because he has two googley eyes?

see good vid of googlies here last july

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tg0zPEURiI

i LOVE the googlies but judges don't right?

Quote Originally Posted by tisor View Post
    question 2. will i never win anyway because he has two googley eyes?

see good vid of googlies here last july

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tg0zPEURiI

i LOVE the googlies but judges don't right?
    I don't really have anything helpful to add, other than that I think he's adorable! Reminds me a lot of my horse.

Same face and googly eyes.

I think it's cute, but never showed mine in hand, so couldn't really say what judges think.