The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SPINOFF on Sundowner Thread...What are safest trailers?

The thread about the Sundowner problems really has me concerned; I always thought Sundowner was one of the best trailers out there!

I'd like to hear from the trailer experts...what are the best brands, in terms of safety and durability?

Thanks!

I'm not an expert, but I do feel that safety is something that also has to be followed by the owner of the trailer. I see way too many BP trailers that are hooked up incorrectly - that is the angle is wrong, the trailer is too high or too low at the hitch. You must make sure the trailer is level. They sell hitches that have 1", 2" 3" drops to achive this.

It is also vital to make sure you get the wheel bearings repacked or replaced and greased regularly, make sure your brakes are working properly, the axles aren't broken or damaged, you have the correct tires and tire pressure, and that you drive safely and not at 90 miles an hour, screeching around corners, etc...

It is also vital to have the right size vehicle towing your trailer, so you can STOP the trailer in an emergency.

I took my '03 trailer in last fall to be serviced and found out I needed new brakes - I had not idea they had gone bad, so it's vital to get your trailer checked out yearly by a professional that you trust.

I have learned tons of great info from www.trailerhorseworld.com the site is filled with alot of experts that haul semi trailers or are professional haulers. They know what they are talking about, so visit the site and you can learn a lot. I know I have and it makes the road a safer place for everyone.

I'm not an expert....but I know quite a few people who are in love with the Jamco trailers. I have several friends who are also happy with their Trailet trailers.

If I were shopping, I would look at one of these two or possibly a Hawk.

I love my 2h BP Sundowner. Everything is well designed for the horses' comfort and safety. Because it is light and spacious, horses load in it easily. Horses don't slip on the ramp. I had a lot of trouble with horses slipping on the ramp of my old trailer (a Colin Arndt) because the non-slip rubber was not really non-slip, and the ramp was too steep. If you buy used, have a trailer repair person check the trailer carefully for corrosion. My floor was replaced, at no cost and without argument, by Sundowner a year ago.

Thank you for the responses! I will check out horsetrailerworld and see what they say. I do have my trailer serviced regularly; I have the trailer sitting level (had to get a mega-size drop hitch to accomplish this and everyone makes fun of me!) and take all precautions I can.

I am more interested in finding out which trailers are truly well made...I know nothing about welding or corrosion or what types of finishes are best. I would like to find out which manufacturer has done their research and built the best trailer.

EquiSpirit. Solid construction, built with safety for the horse in mind FIRST.

Tom and Neva Sheve used to design/build for Hawk, hence the reason the EquiSpirit's look similar to Hawks. They took all they put into the Hawk and went out on their own, adding more to their trailer designs for safety and better construction.

One trailer to stay away from: Nakota. A trained chimpanzee could have done better welding.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I love my C&C aluminum. The company is a casualty of our economic smack-down, though Four Star (related to C&C) is still alive and kicking. I'd get one of these in a heartbeat.

Both are all aluminum and well built. Everything "invisible" from the welds to wiring to lights are great. You'll notice other things, too-- like solid butt and chest bars, those held in by pins but also bolts so that you have several different ways to undo them in a wreck. Doors are secured by both latches and mechanical locks with a swinging arm (which you can pad lock) so that there is no way a horse can push through them.

In general, walk around in a trailer and you'll get an idea of how easy or safe it is to use. Jump up and down in it to see what rattles and how loud it is as you'll go down the road.

In terms of safety, the best thing you can do is buy enough truck-- geared right, with enough power and long enough wheel-base-- for the load you will haul.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat