The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Back in the saddle after baby?

Baby is nearly 6 months old and I am *finally* starting to feel like some semblance of my old self, physically and mentally, bar some babyweight I still need to lose. (Whoever said they rode weeks after their c-section had to be on crack.)

Part of me wants to ride SO BAD but the other part doesn't.

Don't have a ton of free time but I'm thinking I may try to set up a few lessons in the next month or two.

Any other new mommies out there getting back into riding after time off? Any tips for getting in shape? This is the longest I've ever gone without riding.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Honestly? Just do it. Its kind of like... Oh never mind. But anyway. Get up there and walk around. Marvel at how high off the ground you seem, because that sensation fades quickly. Then get off. Rinse and repeat, now your a rider again! Phew.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Honestly? Just do it. Its kind of like... Oh never mind. But anyway. Get up there and walk around. Marvel at how high off the ground you seem, because that sensation fades quickly. Then get off. Rinse and repeat, now your a rider again! Phew.
    LOL. I can fill in that blank.....

Yeah I think you're right I just need to get my butt up there and not worry about being out of shape/fat/uncoordinated.

Like riding a bike, right??
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Yup. Right now in your mind, you're a fat house cat. Pardon the expression, I say it fondly, having been there. Once you get back on a horse you'll remember who you really are! A tigress! Ok I'm feeling silly now but you get the idea
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

My trainer was back up 3 weeks after giving birth...of course, she didn't have a c-section like you did.

just do it and enjoy it ;-) even if it feels iffy at first, you'll get there. it will be good for you!

I feel your pain! I am now 6 months post baby and am just beginning to feel like a rider again. I started very very slowly about 8 weeks after my c-section. Literaly I would mount (not gracefully mind you) walk a few circles then dismount (equally un graceful). I pecked away at it and was amazed how quickly things are coming back to me.
    One thing I can say for sure is I definately feel more cautious than I was pre baby.
    Get out there...you will be glad you did.
    Last edited by Brasslimit; Oct. 23, 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: gramatical correction

I've been there! my son is now a year old and I only get out 1-2x a week, but I was in your same shoes last year.
    I think I was at about 3months after c-section before getting up, and then I started with my western/barrel saddle and not my treeless...just cause I felt more secure in a good-old western

It is like other posters have said...get up and ride! Even just at a walk. It was a while before I trotted, and I have to admit I didn't canter again until recently...that is just me tho and the fact I have a somewhat green horse at times so I didn't feel safe. I started using a lesson horse and remember how much fun it can be now!