The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default double bridle!!!

Hi!

Now that Christmas is coming, I thought it would be the perfect time to treat my horse (and myself ) to a double bridle! We have started him in my trainer's double, know the (approximate) bit sizes, and all that is left is to find the actual bridle!

The thing is... I am a jr/yr with limited money! But I do want a quality double bridle that can *hopefully* go to the NAJRYC and beyond someday! I am willing to spend up to/maybe a tiny bit over $300, but really do not have any more than that saved up

I'm looking for a cob size, preferably with buckle ends, and preferably black with white padding! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry to be putting out yet another double bridle thread!

Check out the Dover closeout section, they just updated it with several double bridles.

VTO Saddlery did have their Courbette Double on Closeout

There are several nice ones on ebay in your price range as well.

If I had real money to spend on a double (I bought a cheapo for now from Libertyville Saddle Shop for the time being)...I would buy an Albion KB or perhaps a Dobert.

Or,,,,you could just buy the single single snaffle headpiece and a thinner rein that matches your current snaffle bridle.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeRevolvesAroundHorses View Post
    Hi!

Now that Christmas is coming, I thought it would be the perfect time to treat my horse (and myself ) to a double bridle! We have started him in my trainer's double, know the (approximate) bit sizes, and all that is left is to find the actual bridle!

The thing is... I am a jr/yr with limited money! But I do want a quality double bridle that can *hopefully* go to the NAJRYC and beyond someday! I am willing to spend up to/maybe a tiny bit over $300, but really do not have any more than that saved up

I'm looking for a cob size, preferably with buckle ends, and preferably black with white padding! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry to be putting out yet another double bridle thread!
    A couple thoughts;

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOBERT-Double-DR...item53dad63996

More pricey, but very quality & should last. This is a good deal for Dobert.

http://www.consensus-shopping.com/ad...t-bridles.html

White padding is more hard to find these days, maybe in the expensive Passiers, but that's way over budget. I would stay away from the Keiffers and economical (but not really) Passiers - they just don't seem to be making quality anymore. Keep an eye out on ebay for a deal. Or year end sales.

Good luck & congrats!

I bought my courbette double for 175.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

I got so excited when I saw the Dobert for $295 - but then saw that it didn't come with reins - and the Dobert reins are $100+ each - so... know any good cheap reins?

I know it would be a lot cheaper to convert my snaffle to a double, but I probably will not be using the double every day (especially while he and I are still getting used to it) and I am much too lazy to switch it that often

I would be fine without white padding. I normally wouldn't mind buying off of ebay, but this is my (and his) first double bridle, so I would like to be able to return it just in case it doesn't work out (like he is kind of in between a cob and horse size...)

I could not find any doubles on the Dover closeout page - could you send me a link? Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeRevolvesAroundHorses View Post
    I got so excited when I saw the Dobert for $295 - but then saw that it didn't come with reins - and the Dobert reins are $100+ each - so... know any good cheap reins?

I know it would be a lot cheaper to convert my snaffle to a double, but I probably will not be using the double every day (especially while he and I are still getting used to it) and I am much too lazy to switch it that often

I would be fine without white padding. I normally wouldn't mind buying off of ebay, but this is my (and his) first double bridle, so I would like to be able to return it just in case it doesn't work out (like he is kind of in between a cob and horse size...)

I could not find any doubles on the Dover closeout page - could you send me a link? Thanks so much!
    I think some of the Dover closeouts sold out. They had a really nice Passier from the exclusive line that was really discounted, but I don't see it there any longer.

Doubles are hard - you sometimes don't know what you will like until you have time to try it out for a while. I feel like this with the reins especially. Finding out exactly what type of snaffle and curb you like best. Have you ridden other horses in a double before?

One of the biggest things when learning is figuring how to mange those reins and be the appropriate length all the time! The leverage of the curb can change all the time - i.e. you're going along reins perfect length, then the horse becomes a little more "up" better balance and opening the throat a bit and all of a sudden your curb has a bunch more torque or leverage because of the new position of the horses head. Anyways, it's tricky and definitely a new skill to learn.

If you have a particular brand of reins you like, I would stick with those instead of ordering the dobert reins.

Good luck & happy shopping!!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=KD-1238

Yikes, looks like the rest are gone for now. I check that site daily, every now and again, there will be 200 new closeout items...it went from 200ish to 500ish just yesterday.

not sure if this was mentioned already -

but if you like the bridle you now have - you can just get a bradoon hanger to match - , reins and joila! double bridle for under $100

check out the VTO Saddlery website. They have a section for Courbette Closeout bridles. I just got one at their black Friday sale that was less than $200 and it's beautiful! I'm using it as a snaffle for now until I need the double. The leather is fabulous!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

Dressage Extensions Royal Oak comes in Blk/.White and is exceptional quality. Do a search on Ebay for Rhinegold -- also great quality for the price (with all the poll padding, etc)

Okay here's another one. Over budget, but super quality, should last, comes with reins :-) & has buckle ends. Very sharp looking!

http://equi-fashion.myshopify.com/pr...-double-bridle

This company is having 10% off all Vespucci leather goods now until 12/31, so that would bring it down some, they have super customer service!

Here's a tack review on this bridle:

http://www.horsetackreview.com/review-display/9750.html

black with white padding is "out" style wise. Solid black with a cool browband is the trend the past 3-4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by dutchfan View Post
    black with white padding is "out" style wise. Solid black with a cool browband is the trend the past 3-4 years!
    Tell that to Edward Gal and Totilas.

Equestrian Outlet Factory is in Canada and the had super priced Schockemole doubles that I saw in August. They were VERY nice I think around 200-250 cdn. There is a pic at the bottom left hand corner of one here; http://www.equestrianfactoryoutlet.c...ockemole.html#
    They dont do internet orders but you could call/email them to inquire/pay.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchfan View Post
    I didn't know that anyone had to follow a trend in dressage? I've seen several horses still wearing "white/black"

Lightbulb Doubles on European Ebay

Check out the European ebays... particularly the GB site. There are a nunber of doubles at very reasonable prices.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

Both new and used. I just had a friend order a new double for under 200 usd.

Good Luck!

O! for a horse with wings! ~William Shakespeare, Cymbeline **or a unicorn horn. Whatever works.**

If the OP is still reading, I wonder if I can suggest - well, other may know - would there possibly be some good deals to be found after the holidays? Just to allow your $$$ to get the best quality possible....
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.