The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Proud Flesh

Dealing with a hock injury/cut from Tommy going over the fence.

I've been ever so fortunate to have very few medical problems with horses so far....now with this guy it may change.

It healing but I am seeing proud flesh. What should I use? Is Wonder Dust the answer?
    Thanks all.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

www.equaide.com

Best product I've ever used for proud flesh.

Go to this thread, post #47 for photos

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...=236028&page=3

Meat tenderizer works pretty well.

I followed it with Prep H.

Amazing results.

I used Granulex, and if the proud flesh got too far out there, I cut it off with scissors. Of course, the injury I was dealing with was a pastern, and it helped to keep it wrapped. Not so easy to do a pressure bandage on a hock.

Banixx also really helped to keep it from getting infected.

Thanks for the replies. Those are some really gruesome photos!
    Tommy's cut is 10 days old and it has just started. I would have never thought of proud flesh if the feed store lady had not mentioned it!!
    Then I read up on it and it was noted that it was most common from the hock and below.

Thanks again.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

My vet gave me a green cream he mixes up worked great but not sure what was in it. Your vet may have his own mixture.

Good Luck!

NevadaRider Guest

I realize this is not practical for most folks, but I've always used silver nitrate-tipped applicator sticks that my ob-gyn nurse mother gets for me from work. Typically one or two treatments at most takes care of any proud flesh.

You need to be careful not to touch the silver nitrate to any part of your body, particularly your eyes, but I've personally never found that to be a big concern.

Lime, the stuff you mark football fields with. I know I harp on this stuff but it has worked the best of anything I've used. I've used Adolph's MT and seems like I've used Prep H but don't remember how that product worked. Wonder Dust is supposed to be, what, 90% Lime, I think, not sure but it's in there.

Wet the area, grab a handful of Lime (comes in 25 lbs bags and inexpensive) and throw on the proud flesh. Dries it right up. Do at least twice a day. You may have to trim up the flesh but it works. Below the hock or knee is hard to heal and not leave a mark.

=birdsong;4554005]Dealing with a hock injury/cut from Tommy going over the fence.
    proudsoff works best for us
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Honestly? The best thing to do is to talk to your veterinarian.

BEFORE it gets way out of control.

Your vet may need to surgically remove some of the overgrowth and then advise you on care/wrapping to prevent more proud flesh.

Since you mentioned that you haven't dealt with this before, it's also possible that the granulation tissue you're seeing is good healthy "supposed to be there" stuff. You don't want to go putting caustic chemicals on it until you know for sure.

The best way to handle problems--especially when it's your first time going through it--is to do it right from the beginning under teh guidance of your veterinarian. Then if you ever run into it again, you KNOW the right way to handle it.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Honestly? The best thing to do is to talk to your veterinarian.

BEFORE it gets way out of control.

Not if it's the vet's protocol that gets the wound out of control in the first place. For my filly's injury, the vet was called out when she did it. Cut the big flap of skin off and told me how to keep it medicated. I did everything he said, even had him come BACK OUT to cut some of the proud flesh away. Nothing he recommended working. There's no need for the vet to cut away proud flesh either if you use something that gets rid of it in the first place. That's why I fell in love with that Equaide. It worked and she didn't have to have more crap cut off. And it doesn't burn the proud flesh off like a lot of other 'proud flesh' ointments.

I am another proadsoft fan. It worked wonders on a few horses I know.

I'm of the mindset that proud flesh is a blemish you have to look at for ever on your horse and a little money spent now is better than having to look at the blemish for ever. It is a long time to regret ....

Proud flesh is very vascular but there are no nerves in it, so while it looks horrifying, a vet can just slice off the excess, pad up the bleeding and it will continue to grow in from the edges.

Equiaide is fantastic! My horse had a 4" gash in the front of his pasturn. I cleaned it out, put equaide on it, wrapped it, changed bandage every 2 days. amazing results in about week. You cant even see a scar! Not the only time I have used it for proudflesh but definitely the most memorable.