The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Southern Pines Christmas Carriage Parade - PHOTO link added

The parade was today and I was determined to go. I haven't been able to drive since my accident at the Pine Tree CDE so the girls are fat and full of themselves. I managed to hitch them twice this week but with the cold snap I thought it might be an interesting parade!

Fortunately a good horsey friend, Katherine Austin, who also knows how to drive, agreed to ride on the back step. She even helped with the decorations and I thought we looked quite festive. Maya had a minor blowout at the trailer before we hitched. However Katherine got her quieted down and we put to without incident.

The ponies were very forward as we warmed up around the Gallagher's big field which was the staging area. Many of the turnouts had bells and all were beautifully decorated. Maggie and Maya had lots to look at!

The ponies hopped up and down a bit but soon settled in and really seemed to enjoy the interaction with the crowds all along the route. Lots of pictures were taken and the kids seemed to especially enjoy the ponies with their reindeer antlers

There were a total of 19 turnouts - a good number for such a cold day! As always Bill Long was last driving Jack Wetzel's 4-in-hand that he hopes to compete at the WEG 2010, with Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus aboard, a big American flag and a sign saying "Support Our Troops!"

Merry Christmas!!!!

Photos: http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...f3edf1ebadc1fb

http://www.fotobytocco.com/Other/MCD...10646860_2DfAp
    Last edited by Ashemont; Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

no fair, where's the photos?
    Sounds lovely.

Will try to get them downloaded and resized. I think hubby got shots of most of the turnouts

Our local animal rescue groups had a waffle sale during the parade, providing curbside service. Of course we knew we couldn't handle waffles in the carriage, nor could we get downtown with truck and 40' trailer, so I gave them a call and they happily delivered delicious blueberry waffles to us in the staging area! Yum!

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Can't wait for the pics!

I didn't know you were injured, Pat. I hope it wasn't too bad and is now a thing of the past.

This weather has been a Hoover for the last almost 2 months! There's a decent day here and there, but nothing you can plan around. We haven't been out for about 10 days.

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Last edited by Ashemont; Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashemont View Post
    The link does not work... it takes me to MY shutterfly albums.
    Zion Farm - Friesian & Norwegian Fjord Horses

Link doesn't work for me either - it wants a password.

How delightful! Beautiful turnouts. And great pictures - thanks for posting them.

Have they set the date for next year's Christmas Parade? Cause I'd definitely drive up to see it.

BTW, do you know who the little Fjord with the roached mane is, by any chance?

Wonderful. What fun!!

Everyone looks wonderful, quite in keeping with the season! The decoration efforts are very attractive. We don't have anything like that around here. I would go watch a horse parade!

Thanks for posting Pat. Your turnout looks great as usual. The girls look perky, rather than edgy or overly forward from earlier incident. Glad they are willing to "get over" things to reach the fun parts. Sorry to hear you had an accident, hope everything in that is also behind you.

Default the fjord

"Paint"

I BELIEVE that is Karolina King. He was in our barn at the Pinehurst Fall Dressage Show in September, ridden by Peter Nordlander at 2nd level.

The lady in the picture driving looks like the lady in the barn that was his owner, and she mentioned he also drove and evented.

Quite a versatile little stud muffin! He is a stallion. Really cute!

Not trying to hijack the thread....

Yipes, I officially feel like I never want to go in public again with my measly turn out! There's some nice horses, carriages, and harnesses there!

I, too, did a Christmas Parade with only horses. There were only 4 carriage though. One was me, one was a student of mine with her morgan, and then two people I didn't know. I was driving my Newfoundland Pony to a Pacific Carriage training cart and the Morgan to my 1888 runabout.

Here we are... getting ready

And the morgan getting put to

Me warming up the morgan... he's always firey for the first 5 minutes and then perfect after.

The height difference in 12.2 and 14.2

This was the mini that was there. The mom led the thing the whole way with the kids sitting in the cart.... down the main roads of town... I'm thinking it was unsafe.

Wave to the people!

The morgan.

All the carriages

drinking hot chocolate to warm up!

Oh, I just wanted to come clean too. I'm completely and utterly unable to drive coachmen... but I do well like this... As Thomas calls it... "cackhanded" or something..

The Fjord is driven and owned by Penny Stuckey and Peter rides for her. He also occasionally rides along as her groom on the carriage. Yep, he's a stallion!

Ashemont2@gmail.com

great photos, what a turnout of carriages.

Looks like it was a cold day~

thanks for posting the pics. vicariously a fun way to be there all snug in front of the computer!