The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Will an aerosol freeze in the unheated tack room?

So I have been using a mixture of Healthy Haircare moisturizer and baby oil on my mare's tail. Works great, but in the winter it's been freezing in the unheated tack room.

I'm thinking about switching back to PINK, which comes in an aerosol can (like hairspray).

This is probably a stupid question, but will the aerosol freeze in the tack room like the standard liquid stuff in a regular spray bottle will? I'm trying to find something that won't freeze!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I think I had some PINK aerosol a year or two back during the winter. I dont remember it freezing. My pony had an afro for a forelock, mane, and tail i liked the PINK products for her.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    I think I had some PINK aerosol a year or two back during the winter. I dont remember it freezing. My pony had an afro for a forelock, mane, and tail i liked the PINK products for her.
    The PINK spray is GREAT GREAT GREAT, I love it. The stuff I'm using now works well, but it doesn't do me much good frozen!

Thanks for the input!

Anyone else? I need a chemistry person or something.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Depends on the composition of what's in the aerosol can. Specifically, it's freezing point. Also, how much water. Increasing the pressure (assume the pressure inside the can is > atmospheric pressure?) of most substances makes them somewhat likelier to be a solid. Water is the opposite--increased pressure makes it likelier to be a liquid than a solid, all things being equal.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Depends on the composition of what's in the aerosol can. Specifically, it's freezing point. Also, how much water. Increasing the pressure (assume the pressure inside the can is > atmospheric pressure?) of most substances makes them somewhat likelier to be a solid. Water is the opposite--increased pressure makes it likelier to be a liquid than a solid, all things being equal.
    A chemistry person! Yay!

So are you saying that since the pressure is higher inside the aerosol can than the pressure outside the can, it will actually be MORE likely to freeze? Or less likely?

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    A chemistry person! Yay!

So are you saying that since the pressure is higher inside the aerosol can than the pressure outside the can, it will actually be MORE likely to freeze? Or less likely?
    It depends on the composition of the liquid inside. Higher pressure makes water less likely to freeze and other liquids more likely to freeze. So, if it has a high percentage of water the increased pressure would make it less likely to freeze and a high percentage of other liquids would make it more likely.

I vote try it and find out
    I recently found out T-boots "freeze" at about 65 degrees, much to my frustration. The good thing about phase changes is they are reversible

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    So I have been using a mixture of Healthy Haircare moisturizer and baby oil on my mare's tail. Works great, but in the winter it's been freezing in the unheated tack room.

I'm thinking about switching back to PINK, which comes in an aerosol can (like hairspray).

This is probably a stupid question, but will the aerosol freeze in the tack room like the standard liquid stuff in a regular spray bottle will? I'm trying to find something that won't freeze!

just use the dab of baby oil you dont need human hairspray

to much hairspray isnt a good for a human let alone a horse can make your hair rock hard and drop out
    so one have a tail now but one also might lose that same tail later

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    just use the dab of baby oil you dont need human hairspray

to much hairspray isnt a good for a human let alone a horse can make your hair rock hard and drop out
    so one have a tail now but one also might lose that same tail later
    I don't use hairspray on my mare, PINK is a sort of conditioner and sheen spray.

Yeah the PINK aerosol is more like a conditioner, scalp soother. It's aimed at african americans from what I can tell. It was great for my pony with frizzy hair and dry skin. (I used the 2-in-1 scalp soother I think)