The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Classical Dressage Trainers in Milwaukee/Chicago/Madison area?

Hey everyone! Does anyone have any recommendations on classical dressage trainers within an hour or so of Milwaukee? I am looking to get going in my dressage again and need some assistance (a.k.a. I need a serious scolding for all of my newly formed naughty habits)! Any ideas you have would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Default Ted Goad Caladonia WI

formerly of Temple Farms

Good to hear him recommended...I just sent him an email earlier tonight! It's so hard to know who's good and who's...well, you know! This will help me narrow it down and get some more ideas if I'm missing anyone. Seems the really good trainers don't advertise because, well, they don't need to! Word of mouth and recommendations is always the way to go. Thanks!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Pam Doolittle. She's just outside Madison. I wouldn't classify her as strictly classical, but she's a good solid instructor/trainer who works on the basics before moving you to the next step. She seems to prefer serious students with serious goals, so she wasn't a perfect fit for me as I'm truly an adult amateur with small goals. But I can't fault her teaching.

The trainers I know are all on the boarder of Illinois and Wisconsin. I think all of them are fantastic: Orrie Decaster and Amanda Johnson are at Silverwood (Camplake, Wisconsin) both very accomplished former young riders. Curtis Sage is at Sunflower (http://www.sunflowerfarms.com/) a judge and former trainer at Temple farms. Patty Becker, well accomplished GP trainer/rider, was also at Temple) is at Fireside, but she is in Florida for the winter. PM me if you want any details about them.
    Last edited by Dressage_Julie; Dec. 14, 2009 at 01:13 PM.

I second Amanda Johnson.
    http://amandajohnsondressage.com/

Thank you for all of the suggestions! Glad I posted as there are lots of trainers I'm just hearing about! Has anyone worked with Meghan O'Toole? She is at the Lake Geneva Equestrian Center. I really like their facility but don't know anything about this trainer. Feel free to PM me if you have something negative to say as I wouldn't want to tarnish anyone's reputation. These are all great leads I will be pursuing!

Darcy Drijie, trained with Karl Mikolka for years. I think she is at Sunflower with Curtis. Either one is super, as are the others mentioned

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Patty Becker.

I recommend Pat Fitzgerald, who works out of Oregon, WI (near Madison). She has a very wide background in many disciplines, but all her teaching/training has a classical foundation. She thinks like a horse and is a fantastic teacher. PM me if you would like more information about her or her contact info.

JenK29 Guest

Default I love my trainer!

Hi there! I've been riding with Megan McIsaac at Lindinhof Equine Sports Zentrum for 6 years now, and I highly recommend her. I worked as a working student first, and then moved to the client side, and have never been tempted to go anyplace else. Megan is great to work with; very good at teaching both the horse and rider so that a real partnership is forged. She has three school horses all over 3rd level, or you can trailer in/go into training with her. She keeps her facility clean and well maintained with great footing in the arenas. You can contact me directly if you want to get more of a referral, or check out the website www.lindinhof.com.

Jen

Meghan O'Toole is wonderful. I ride with her. She is also formerly from Tempel.
    I have ridden with her for 5 years and she really is right on with dressage and jumping.