The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default George Morris Horsemastership Session in FL - open to public?

Hi everyone, sorry if this is old news (I'm an infrequent visitor to COTH) but just saw this on a dressage news website about free auditing for the George Morris Horsemastership Sessions in Wellington next month:

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=4305

Does anyone have any more information? Is this really free & open to all? Seems like a great opportunity if true! Is it crazy for me to think of driving 15 hours to sunny Florida for this?

(BTW I did e-mail the contact person who is listed but just haven't heard back yet so thought I'd post here to see if anyone's "in the know".)

Thanks for any info!

Yup, has been since it started, just make sure George will be there before you make the trek for him he wasn't able to go last year so the kids had a different instructor each day.

Thanks heartinrye! I hadn't heard about this before - sure sounds like a great opportunity. Has anyone attended previously to audit? Is there any kind of advance registration for auditors? Is it worth it to travel 15 hours? Thanks again!

Nope, just show up! (early if you want a front row seat) And be attentive, I was watching in-between my classes one day and a lady was on her phone, and he stopped and started yelling at her, saying that he didn't need to be there to be doing it for free and to show respect. Which is all very true Bring a pad and pen, that way you won't forget anything!

when I audited his clinic (and paid) he yelled at a young lady on her phone while he was talking, so as noted be attentive and enjoy

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yep its free, and awesome! Since I am no longer tied down to the boarding barn I will be attending this year for sure!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I think Lauriep will be there again. She has been the Master Groom from the beginning.

Does anyone know whether or not there will video out from the last session they did with all the different riders?

George will be there this year and it is all open to the public. The only things limited to the kids are my sessions with them back at the barn. George was begged to go to South Africa and Australia last year, so the kids had to SUFFER with having a DIFFERENT OLYMPIAN everyday to instruct them. I think they were ok with it. But he is definitely onboard for this year. Here is the schedule as it is now. Subject to change, but probably won't:

January 5-9, 2010

Palm Beach International Equestrian Center – South Grounds – Grand Prix Ring

Wellington, Florida

PUBLIC SESSIONS – FREE AUDITING, NO REGISTRATION NECESSARY

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

8:00 am Mounted session with George Morris - flat work Group I

10:00 am Mounted session with George Morris - flat work Group II

1:00 pm Anne Kursinski, Olympian: presentation on “The Heart of a Champion”

2:00 pm Veterinary Session – Dr. Tim Ober, USA Team Veterinarian

3:30 pm Riders set ring with George Morris for Wednesday sessions

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

8:00 am Mounted Session with George Morris- flat work and gymnastics, group II

10:00 am Mounted Session with George Morris- flat work and gymnastics, group I

2:30 pm Nutrition Session – Dr. Mary Beth Gordon, Ph.D., Purina Mills:

Feeding the Athletic Horse: How to Get A Nutritional Advantage

3:30 pm All riders set ring with George Morris for Thursday

Thursday, January 7, 2010

8:00 am Mounted Session with George Morris- flat work and gymnastics, group I

10:00 am Mounted Session with George Morris- flat work and gymnastics, group II

1:00 pm Joint Health and Maintenance Session – Allyn Mann, Luitpold Pharmaceuticals

Friday, January 8, 2010

8:00 am Mounted Session with George Morris- flat work, no stirrups, group II

10:00 am Mounted Session with George Morris- flat work, no stirrups, group I

1:00 pm ASPCA All Star Equine Anti-Cruelty Summit & Panel Discussion led by ASPCA President Ed Sayres
    Panel to include:
    From the ASPCA, Ed Sayres, Dr. Melinda Merck, Dr. Pamela Corey, Joseph Pentangelo,
    World Class/Olympic Riders and Trainers, John Madden, Beezie Madden, Anne Kurskinski, George Morris, and Brianne Goutal, Steve Nislick from www.ny-class.org and Jennifer Swanson from www.purethoughtshorserescue.com.

*Display and tour of the ASPCA's Mobile Animal Crime Scene Unit, the only one of its kind, and exhibition of rescued horses and dogs available for adoption following discussion.

2:30 pm Riders set ring for Friday sessions with George Morris – Course Building

Saturday, January 9, 2010

8:00 am Mounted Session with George Morris- Jumping (course) – group I

10:00 am Mounted Session with George Morris- Jumping (course) – group II

Schedule of events and locations subject to change without notice check www.syracuseinvitational.com for most current listing. No fee for auditors, however a donation to the USET Foundation is appreciated

Directions to the South Grounds of the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center - Take the Florida Turnpike to Lake Worth Road, Go West crossing over 441, 5 miles to South Shore Blvd, turn left (south), go Approx 1 mile to 50th Street, turn Right (West) Follow road as it curves to right then straight into the Show grounds.

From 1-95, exit 49. Go West on Forest Hill Blvd. 11miles to South Shore Blvd, Turn left and continue on South Shore Blvd, to 50th Street, Go Right (West) Follow Road as it curves to right then straight into the Show grounds.

You are even welcome to listen to GHM as he sets the courses each day with the kids and come into the ring so you can watch and learn. It is SO very worth it.

The clinic takes place in the GP ring at the South Showgrounds (Littlewood) and there is a covered area with plenty of seating for spectators.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    I think Lauriep will be there again. She has been the Master Groom from the beginning.

Does anyone know whether or not there will video out from the last session they did with all the different riders?
    Last I heard, this was still up for debate. I'll see if I can find out anything new since I last asked.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.

Thanks. Tell them they would have at least one buyer for all 5 dvds. :-)

Yo, Whistling Dixie - where are you driving from? No, I don't think ANY amount of driving is to far to see The Master and I'd like to go but to make that drive alone is a bit daunting. Interested in a ride share?
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

Anyone know who's riding in it this year?

Heartinrye, the news release I saw said the following riders would be included: Jacqueline Lubrano, Jessica Springsteen, Zazou Hoffman, Christy Distefano, Matthew Metell, Theodore Boris, Jennifer Waxman, Reed Kessler, Chase Boggio.

Running Fox Farm, I am in central Kentucky. Since I have lots of Delta miles, I am still debating the merits of driving 15 hours vs. using miles & having to deal with going through ATL. Flying also means I would have to get a rental car. So I'm still debating...I will PM you if I decide to go the driving route. Thanks!

I drive it every year, from VA, and it takes about 15-16 hours (with stops for dogwalking). It is really not a bad drive. And the end result is so worth it!
    Laurie

Can't argue that " end result" logic! I'm always afraid of the " flat tire, found dead by the side of the road" scenario. Probably just shows I'm a bit too paranoid.
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

My roommate and some friends flew down from Maryland last year and they loved it! This year I'm taking a week off work to go with them. I grew up on Hunter Seat Equitation, meeting George (or at least gazing from afar ) will be an amazing experience.

Also, I don't need much of an excuse to go to Florida in January

I would kill to be near FL and to be able to go to that. Alas, I'm in PA and can't quite justify flying to FL (or afford!), so I live for the 'postcards' or whatever they call them talking about each day.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

It's not that tough a drive! Do it in 2 days if you can't do it straight through. There are no guarantees as to how long he'll do this clinic, so I look at every year as a gift.
    Laurie

Bump! To keep this up front so questions can be asked and plans made!
    Laurie

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

aarrrgggh I cant go now, my truck broke down to the tune of 2k
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm