The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "inexpensive" trailer - advice needed

I am looking into purchasing a 2 horse bumper pull trailer. I would prefer a stock/combo but that's not an absolute. I will probably buy a used trailer.

Here are some of the models I have been considering:

S&H Duster http://www.runningcreektrailers.net/...r-2-7-tall.htm

CM Dakota http://townandcountryts.horsetrailer....asp?ID=231698

Calico http://www.horsetrailersgalore.com/detail.asp?id=12821

Ponderosa http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=229548

What are your opinions on the above? Any others I should consider?

Thanks!

No experience with the ones you've posted but I have an Adams and I LOVE it: http://www.adamtrailers.com/

I was hesitant about getting a stock because it doesn't look as fancy at horse shows and what not but it's come in handy for many reasons

1) I can use it for lots of other stuff with out having to take out dividers or anything. Hay loads, moving jumps, anything

2) It's great for horses that don't like to load, it's big and open and non-threatening

3) I have the perfect excuse not to give people rides to shows because I don't have a divider and "My horse isn't really good with horses he doesn't know"

4) Its really light and I can safely tow it with my SUV

5) It was really affordable

I sort of wish I had a tack room sometimes but as I said I tow with an SUV so I don't really want to add more weight to it.

They have a lot of different combos with stock trailers; dividers, tack rooms etc

Good luck!

I owned a CM Dakota 2 horse bumper pull a few years back- nice trailer for the money. Ditto the S&H, they were my second choice.

I've seen the Calico's and Ponderosa's and they are just not as sturdy as the first two brands. They get the job done but as a horseperson you would be happiest with one of the first two IMO.

If they have Titan trailers in your area consider them. When I sold my CM I bought a Titan Classic (2 horse GN) and it is a super steel trailer. The interiors are designed to be horse friendly/safe and they are a step above the CM and S&H but still affordable.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    No experience with the ones you've posted but I have an Adams and I LOVE it: http://www.adamtrailers.com/

I was hesitant about getting a stock because it doesn't look as fancy at horse shows and what not but it's come in handy for many reasons

1) I can use it for lots of other stuff with out having to take out dividers or anything. Hay loads, moving jumps, anything

2) It's great for horses that don't like to load, it's big and open and non-threatening

3) I have the perfect excuse not to give people rides to shows because I don't have a divider and "My horse isn't really good with horses he doesn't know"

4) Its really light and I can safely tow it with my SUV

5) It was really affordable

I sort of wish I had a tack room sometimes but as I said I tow with an SUV so I don't really want to add more weight to it.

They have a lot of different combos with stock trailers; dividers, tack rooms etc

Good luck!
    I agree 100% with all of your pro's & #3 is my particular favorite because it really comes in handy.

I have a Ponderosa 4horse stock & love it. I bought it new for $3900 five years ago. It's definitely an economy trailer and I do get some New England snob-ism sometimes, but it gets me from A-B and my horses love it. I bought it because I had a horse that HATED my 2 horse straight load w/ ramp & I needed the ability to trailer 3-4 horses without spending $20K.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I have an S&S that I ADORE.

It is a 'custom stock-combo.' The 'stall' divider is simple to put in solo. It is lightweight (2250 freight weight) but still very sturdy in Weather, and has rubber torsion axles (which was a must when I was shopping) is sturdy, and hauls like a dream.

I have hauled it with a Dodge Dakota, and a Ford F150, both towed it beautifully.

I repainted after 5 years as the paint was oxidizing, but really, I don't take CARE of it as I should, especially because we have Weather and road salt, topped off with my being directly under a military flight path and close to the end of the strip, so get lots of very low planes with their... whatever it is... dripping down. I Jam pretty sure if you wax it, it'll stay nice.

I shopped other stock combos, and liked the S&S features the best--the way the chest and tail bars work, the option of 2 stalls plus a foal/pony in the nose, 3 small horses slant, a big box for the sallion etc. etc. And NO ONE could touch the price for everything I wanted. I think the construction is much better than the other brands I looked at in similar price ranges.

I loff my S&S and will look there again.

When/if I ever go to a real "horse" trailer I'll be getting a Bee.

OOPS--after reading for COMPREHENSION, I see you wrote S&H not S&S.

Sooo... I guess my review isn't all that relevant.

BUT, for a stock-combo, you can't beat them. I don't believe they have a website, but are out of Iowa (maybe Idaho--forgive me, I know the difference, but painted over the sticker and can't remember which "I" state ) Similar exterior to the S&H photos, was about $1k less than that price (even with custom features) and straight load 'stalls' vs. slant. No dressing room, but the nose is huge, and I hang a curtain, and *voila* dressing room. I love that I can truly WORK out of it with the stallion--he gets groomed, tacked up etc., on board at some venues... he also 'lives' on it in between classes/lessons etc. He can even overnight as he's not huge, and it's a nice big box stall for him when I take the divider out.

The only thing I wish for is a chest bar to use when I have the divider out. For now I use two stall chains tied with twine. Not fancy, but does the trick.

I did NOT like Bonanza for many reasons, most of them saftey/convinience factor. Calico gave me less features for more $$ than S&S.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Eclipse makes a really nice all aluminum two horse for only $6,995. Bumper pulls are all they do. Or you can enter to win one here http://horsecity.com/club/ Drawing in on Dec. 31st.

I have the exact Ponderosa trailer in the OP and I love it. It is perfect for me and my horse. I pulled it with an SUV but now have an F150 and it's been great. The only thing I would look at is the height...if you see in the picture it slopes down in the front, if you have a really tall horse you might need a head bumper. I have hauled a 16+ hand horse fine. The little tack compartment in the front holds a considerable amount of stuff for the space! I have hauled it numerous times from KY to GA with shavings, hay, grain, and 2 tack trunks in that space! I think I got mine from Tractor Supply for about 4k brand new. Good Luck!

Default thanks!

Thanks for the input. I will look into the Titan, Adams and S&S trailers as well. Once I'm clear about what features I really don't want to compromise on then it will probably come down to what I can find a good deal on.

Pintopiaffe I am borrowing a friend's straight load Bee trailer now - it's a really nice sturdy trailer.

I like the stock-combo trailer for all the reasons Meredith posted - affordable, multi-use, easier to load the trailer freak. And any vehicle of mine is perpetually covered in mud, dust or both so the snobs would probably turn up their noses no matter what I had (especially considering the tow vehicle!).

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    No experience with the ones you've posted but I have an Adams and I LOVE
    I had a used Adam 2 horse BP straight load w/dressing room before I bought my larger Hawk gooseneck. It was a great trailer that I got for a very reasonable price and it really held its value when I sold it a few years later. It hauled great and even the big WB's seemed to be happy in it.

I had the Calico 2h slant stock combo with a dressing room and really liked it. Unfortunately, my guy was just a little too long for it so now I have the Calico enclosed trailer. I really like the Calicos.

Check out the new Stock/Combo option from Equispirit: The EquiBreeze

I have the gooseneck version and love it! Very very well designed, built solid, with all the safety features of an Equispirit but at a more affordable price.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

WW trailers

http://www.wwtrailer.com/

I just bought a used one. They are decent trailers, inexpensive, and they hold their value well.

I bought my stockside 2H w/ DR from Adam several years ago -- they make GREAT trailers. I really would look into them. Even new, they are quite affordable, but they last a looooong time so it's easy to find used ones too, depending on your budget. I hate enclosed trailers, as I am a ventilation nazi, so I love all the benefits of stock sides -- horses have lots of body heat, need lots of air and love open spaces! Any horse fits in my trailer, even big drafty things.

Look at Corn-Pro. I had a 16' stock/bumper pull trailer...it was great, tough, road and towed well and was under $4,000 brand new. A great trailer.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

When I haul horses for Equihab, I use their 16' bumper pull stock trailer. I may not look as fancy as a deluxe horse trailer, but it's so much more functional. I have yet to find a horse who gives me trouble to load. It's got a divider so I can seperate the horses or I can move tack/items in the front area. You can definitely get a nice inexpensive trailer if you go this route.

I'm going to agree with those that suggested Adam Trailers. Here's mine:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27926...50876342dHGYId

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25939...50876342IicbNz

Its the 14' Adams Bumper Special. The 4' dressing room is carpeted, with a camper style door, two windows, two saddle racks, and a ton of tack hooks. The 10' horse area is straight load with mats. Bought new for $6100. The best thing about this trailer is how well its made, every seam is sealed and the floor supports are spaced 6" apart, not 12" like some stock trailers.