The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff: Ulcer Maintenance

Hello everyone,

My horse was scoped about 3 years ago and had minor ulcers. We did the full treatment with gastrogard and put him on Succeed as well. Ever since then, he has been on 1/4 tube everyday with a full tube given when he is traveling.

He has had little problems besides some colon ulcers in florida last year. At that time, he went on sucralfate too.

So, now he is on sucralfate, gastrogard, and succeed and, as you can imagine, it has been a huge expense.

Does anyone have any suggestions on something that I can do for ulcer maintenance besides living on gastroguard, etc.?

Thank you.

For our OTTB he's just on kombat boot (one word? two words?). It was recommended by someone else in the barn and has helped him tremendously. The other horse seems to do wonderful on it as well. I'm not quite sure how the whole thing works as I've been busy finishing up the semester but we gave him tubes for a few weeks and then 1/2 tubes and then just to the kombat boot. So far, so good *knock on wood*
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

You might want to try looking at the "Horse Care" forum. There are always a couple ulcer threads going with loads of ideas. I'm sure a search there would keep you reading for days!
    Y'all ain't right!

I second the search tip.

What has worked for my guy *knock on wood* is a grain free diet with 24/7 hay, alfalfa pellets, rice bran and Ugard powder daily. He's also on 24/7 turnout. He hasn't gained much weight, so we're debating going back on a grain like Carb-guard, but I'm going to give it a month or two more...

Good luck!

Has your horse ever been scoped again?

For gastric ulcers, once they are healed, many horses are able to be maintained on Ranitidine rather than the 1/4 tube of Gastrogard - it's significantly less expensive, IIRC.

Ranitidine and u-gard worked wonders for my horse. Alfalfa and a good probiotic seem to help her too.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    Ranitidine and u-gard worked wonders for my horse. Alfalfa and a good probiotic seem to help her too.
    Agreee 100%. U-Guard pellet supplement, generic ranitiding,
    feeding soaked alfalfa cubes twice a day, and alfalfa hay.

I would still continue a "show protocol" -- 1/4 tube couple days before you leave, and a full tube while on the road, and maybe even a 1/4 tube day or so after back.
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

I have a lesson horse who came to me with ulcers.

We did the gastrogard a full tube a day for a full two months, which cost well over $1,000.

Now we are just maintaining him on Neigh-lox twice a day, its wonderful.

The neigh-lox has an 8 hour release, and I can see the difference, he is so much happier!!

I use a twice a day 1/4 cup of Natural Plan Stomach Soother and ulcerguard day before, of, and after hauling/showing.

Read an article a few years ago about ulcer supplements, but I'm not sure where -- Anyway, it was written by a vet although it seemed to be based on anectodal evidence rather than a study -- It said the usual all horses are different so you have to keep trying supplements until you find something for your horse -- Then, it went on to say that often a supplement only works for a horse for a couple of years, then you're stuck hunting for a new supplement all over again -- Depressing

Surpass didn't work for my gelding -- He did great on Progressive Nutrion's Ulcer Formula, but it's tough to find distributors for that -- A few months after switching barns I weaned him off that supplement, and he's done well -- I do give 1/4 tube of Ulcergard per day beginning 3 days before every trailer ride --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Succeed has oat oil and oat flour in it. My horse is allergic to oats so can't use something like Succeed.

Mine is on U-gard, beet pulp, rice bran, flax, and alfalfa. So far so good. Ulcergard is given during horse shows and when he has to have a NSAID.

After I did a gastroguard and a sucralfate treatment with my horse, I was able to keep him ulcer free by using the Neighlox supplement, feeding alfalfa before he received any feed, feeding 3 meals a day vs. 2 meals, as much grass turnout as possible.

Corn oil or Aloe Vera Juice are both said to keep them from getting ulcers.

I also use Smart Pak's GUT - but its not legal to show on due to the licorice content.

cimetidine works for my guy. He is a gray, so it is good for his melanomas also

This is a great thread for ideas - my mare had one very large ulcer that we treated with 1 tube/day Gastroguard for a month. After treatment we've switched her to pelleted feed that is very gentle on the stomach, she's on ProBios, she gets a scoop of electrolytes/day and we only give her alfalfa hay - she gets as much as she wants to eat. We also have her on as much turnout as possible - unfortunately 24/7 is not possible at the barn we are at right now due to the season, but when she can go out, she's out. I have considered putting her on an ulcer supplement as well, but my vet was not very positive about the effectiveness of oral supplements that you give in their feed. But reading here how it has helped, maybe I will re-think.

Also, she never gets bute unless she absolutely has to. I treat her with Surpass when we work hard (her knees are her tender spot, so after a hard day's work, I'll rub some Surpass on her knees) but since we found her ulcer I have not given her any bute because it is hard on their stomachs. Then again, other than working hard she's never really given me a reason to bute her - if bute were necessary to keep her comfortable, sure I would give her some. But otherwise I avoid it.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

Feeding Alfalfa has been shown to both cure and prevent ulcers. I feed it to my TB for that reason.

Feeding Alfalfa is Beneficial for Ulcer-Prone Horses
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Thank you all for the feedback. Unfortunately, 24/7 turnout is not possible for me where I am now.

I am interested in supplements like Neighlox, etc and all of the feeding suggestions. Has anyone heard of a product called Nutrient Buffer??

Thanks again, I appreciate all of your input.

Default For my horse w/ ulcer history

Ulcergard when trailering, showing, etc. Ulcergard if he is stalled more than 12 hours (stalling for a whole day stresses my horse)
    Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; Mar. 3, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Would alfalfa cubes/pellets be effective as well? Has anyone ever used any of the forage, chopped bag types (ex Lucerne farms alfa)?

Thanks.