The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fence charging, why is she doing this?

we just put up hot wire, Misty has been hit by it about 20 times now, but she keeps charging the fence, I am scared she is going to jump it or worse try to jump it and get tangled in it. Do you guys think she will settle down? I have been trying to settle her down, maybe she is just feeling good. Oh crap, I just don't know, maybe I don't need a horse if I worry this much!

Do you have it flagged so it is highly visible? Maybe she just is mad and trying to "dominate" the fence by chasing it away...Hopefully she will settle in..

Quote Originally Posted by Luckydonkey View Post
    Do you have it flagged so it is highly visible? Maybe she just is mad and trying to "dominate" the fence by chasing it away...Hopefully she will settle in..
    It is flagged with walmart bags and orange tape. It is too cold to sit outside right now, so I am looking out my window, watching her carry on, maybe she just feels good, too early to know if she is going to try to jump or not.

Oh dear, I do hope she is not going to jump it. Maybe you can find a freebie goat in your newspaper, or very cheap, and just get a companion for her, to heck with if Hubby does not like it (referring to your other thread).
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Dec. 11, 2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: add content
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I am thinking your husband may dislike the vet bill if she gets tangled in the fence MORE than he would dislike a goat.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Default I agree completely, had not thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I am thinking your husband may dislike the vet bill if she gets tangled in the fence MORE than he would dislike a goat.
    Yowza did you hit the nail on the proverbial head or what!? (rhetorical question) That is so true.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I hope she settled down eventually and didn't jump? I did also remember that you had her in her stall for quite a while when you were getting the hot wire up right? She might just be especially fresh from that also. Plus... this damn intruder won't let her near the fence.

I worked on a farm once that had a stallion in a four board fence with 4 strands of hot wire inside the fence and over the top. He would get really close to it and sometimes get zapped. When he got a shock he would turn around and kick at the fence sometimes hitting the boards between the wire. It really pissed him off to get shocked. He never tried to get out but he did "challenge" the fence. Hopefully, your horse is just trying to figure out the fence and won't actually try to get out.

Can you borrow someone's donkey? Not own it, not keep it, just borrow it, to be returned when your horse settles down. Make sure your husband knows it is a borrowed burrow. Other than that, based on your other threads, maybe you should think about re-homing him (the horse, not the husband).

Oops, didn't read all of the other thread. Sorry you are in that situation. Forget my last line. MistyBlue has the best advice about providing rough board - you have a companion, small amount of cash and a visitor every now and then (the owner). I hope it gets better soon.
    Last edited by Chall; Dec. 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM.

Unfortunately some horses never acclimate to being alone. Even with visible horses over the fence, some horses will just react badly the entire time they don't have a buddy in turnout with them. It can eventually lead to other issues besides fence injuries...such as stress colics, ulcers, weight dropping, behavioral changes and sleep deprivation to name a few.
    There are tons of free leases out there or giveaways...a mini horse or donk doesn't require a whole lot of barn space or feed can can work very well as a companion. (they are still equines though and require hoof and vet care) Goats work well too, but not all are easy to keep contained. A nanny or wether works well turned out with horses usually...billies stink.
    Or even think about taking in a boarder, someone who can cover the cost of feed for their horse and they pay obviously for vet and farrier care. You can do a rough board and then have little to no extra work or else a retirement board and not have to deal with the owner there too often if that's what you prefer.
    There are a lot of ways to provide a companion without it costing much. And a companion is far better than a colic surgery bill, a fence injury bill, gastroguard, etc. It will calm your mare down and make her more relaxed and content. Keeping a horse in a constant nervous state isn't fair to the horse, not all horses will conform to the needs or lifestyle of the owner and we can't force them all too. It''s better to either find a solution that works for the mare or else sell/trade/rehome her and find a new horse that fits your needs and turnout situation. There are horses who do just fine out solo, look for one that's already been kept that way without issues.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Maybe the OP need a Christmas pony (see other thread).

Forget the goat. Get a donkey!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Ah yes. Gastroguard - $650/month. Average simple colic bill - $350.00
    Average simple wound stitch - $400.00

Unless, of course, it's on a weekend. Tack on $200/300 for the emergency call.

Prevention is always cheaper than the cure.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Default Misty day 2 update!

Misty has settled down quite a bit, I ended up put her up last night for a couple of reason's (1. wind chill was -20) (2. I was worried she would injure herself). This morning she tested the fence again, but settled down and started grazing. I just put her up again because of severe wind chill tonight. I think that the hot wire is working because she is not wanting to be near the fence at all. Now for my all of you that have suggested a companion for Misty, I have decided and have told my husband that It is cruel for her to be alone, and I did not ask him but I told him that I was going to find her a Companion. He is not arguing about it, and if he does not like this idea, I think you guys are right, he should be rehomed. Not Me, and Not Misty, he is the problem! Wow, I am glad to get that off my chest. I can't stand to be around someone who thinks they know whats best for everyone. I rather have 1 great day in life than 20 years of misery. Damn it I have been through so much, and I have never ever complained about anything, when I could not walk, and was hurting so bad that I could not move, I would have a smile and try to be happy for those around me, I was my Mother's caretaker while she died of cancer, I helped my husband when his Father died, and 4 years before his Mother died I was her caretaker, so is it asking too much for me to have a companion for Misty? I don't think so. Anyway I am going to find a companion for her, all advise is welcome, YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST, Thanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    Oh dear, I do hope she is not going to jump it. Maybe you can find a freebie goat in your newspaper, or very cheap, and just get a companion for her, to heck with if Hubby does not like it (referring to your other thread).
    You are such a wonderful person, I have decided to get her a companion, regardless of what hubby thinks, my husband is being an ASS, and I am tired of it, he knew I was an animal lover when he met me, and I have not changed, I knew he liked to fly airplanes and I never asked him not to, which by the way this man own's a 2 Cessna 310's which are twin engine's, it cost a freaking fortune to fly these things, so why should I care what he thinks. Anyway's thank you soooooooo much!

Ah yes. Gastroguard - $650/month. Average simple colic bill - $350.00
    Average simple wound stitch - $400.00

Unless, of course, it's on a weekend. Tack on $200/300 for the emergency call.

Prevention is always cheaper than the cure.
    I agree with you prevention is the best way to go, I am getting her a companion!

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    I worked on a farm once that had a stallion in a four board fence with 4 strands of hot wire inside the fence and over the top. He would get really close to it and sometimes get zapped. When he got a shock he would turn around and kick at the fence sometimes hitting the boards between the wire. It really pissed him off to get shocked. He never tried to get out but he did "challenge" the fence. Hopefully, your horse is just trying to figure out the fence and won't actually try to get out.
    She did settle down today, but I was on pins and needles Yesterday and all day today, so I have decided that I am getting her a friend, beside's I believe that it is cruel for her not to have anyone, I love her too much to put her through that, you guys have made me realize that, I can't thank you enough.

Good for you and Misty. Please feel free to pm if you ever need to chat.

I like you!

(not in a creepy stalker way)
    ---

I like you!

(not in a creepy stalker way)
    That's what they all say.