The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody use Lifedata Hoof Disinfectant??

Does anybody use this product? Likes, dislikes? I bought a small bottle of it for a horse with seedy toe. Too soon to tell anything but one thing I notice is it sure isn't going to last long, since it's so thick! As expensive as it is, I'd like to hear what other folks think before I invest in a big bottle

Yes! Very effective. Quite pleased with the results.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Cool

Another thumbs up!
    My farrier highly recommends it and it's been working well on my horses feet.

I picked up a small bottle on sale. It's mostly tea tree oil. It's not real clear from the label what it is best used for. Thrush? Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    I picked up a small bottle on sale. It's mostly tea tree oil. It's not real clear from the label what it is best used for. Thrush? Anything else?
    Bacterial and fungal infections (seedy toe, WLD, thrush, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    It's not real clear from the label what it is best used for.
    Mostly separating people from their money . . .

I've had proven results using it for small hoof cracks in my barn. If used consistently it can make small improvements. Check the website for study results, it is interesting. The key aspect of it is the disinfectant - different from a hoof dressing.

I tried it, but didn't have great results. Just tried CleanTrax-- we'll see if that clears up a super resistant thrush.

I love Life Data Labs Hoof Disinfectant. My feed story lady recommended it in 2002, and I used it to harden Cloudy and Callie's hooves in muddy wet weather. It works if you follow directions, to keep thrush and white line away and it really did harden TB and WB hooves.

Now my farrier has me using crossapol. I am on our 4th case. It works well also.

The idea is to follow directions, use as often as recommended, and my horses did not get any diseases, plus both of the products have prevented problems with all the wet muddy conditions and bacteria and fungi around here

BTW, I have purchased gallons of 100% tea tree oil, thinking that that would be cheaper to use, but it did not have the same effect as LDL Hoof Disinfectant. Maybe it's the binders or the combination of things, but the 100% tea tree oil didn't harden their hooves..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer, CF, RJF View Post
    Mostly separating people from their money . . .
    So, are you saying you've never seen results or what? I'm looking to hear from folks that have used it and what their results were. Instead of being sarcastic then perhaps you could recommend a different product.

Which of these ingredients:
    Tea Tree Oil, Poloxamer-iodine complex, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Isopropyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol.

"penetrates deep within the hoof wall to kill these microbes at the very foundation of the invasion"

What is the chemical mechanism of this claim? How does it work - penetrating cellular membranes?

Until those questions are answered, all you have is testimonials and "claims" without basis - AKA, marketing hype.

Well, I don't believe ANYTHING penetrates the hoof wall quite frankly. I'm not trying to 'penetrate the hoof wall', I'm trying to get rid of gunk on the surface areas.

Again, if you have recommendations for other products, I'm all ears. Been doing Thrushbuster, Durasole, Povidine Iodine, Fungal spray, and White Lightning (as opposed to Cleantrax). So, you got anything else maybe I haven't heard of for seedy toe/WLD?

Still unsure if you've even used the product. FWIW, the 'penetrating' claim is NOWHERE on the bottle. Just on the website.
    Last edited by jaimebaker; Dec. 13, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer, CF, RJF View Post
    Already read that, but thanks

I used it this fall on my horse after I pulled his shoes. He had some mild thrush in one back hoof, too.

While I can't say for sure that it was the Hoof Disinfectant but the thrush cleared up and his transition to barefoot was very easy.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I used it. It worked to make wb and tb hooves very hard. I don't know why.
    I do know when I tried to save $ by buying tea tree oil by the gallon, I did not get the same results. And it was 100% tea tree oil, from the guy who owns the Cleveland Bay farm in GA.
    I do know that crossapol works. I don't know why. Don't care.
    Both LDL HD and Crossapol have kept mine from getting thrush, made hooves hard, etc.
    Results may vary by horse and geographic location.