The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you think this can safely be done?

So I got to the barn this evening and was informed that my horse jumped out of his field yesterday. He has never done anything like this before, but with the weather being the way that is is right now, I know they are all a bit "spicy" and prone to foolishness. He seemed okay and none the worse for wear, but I just have a hard time believing that he could jump a fence that is at least 4 foot high with a midweight blanket on and not get hurt. The highest I have ever jumped him was 2'9" and that was almost 2 years ago. We haven't jumped this past year at all. I guess I'm just shocked that he didn't get hurt...though much relieved!

My silly mare who had very little jumping training successfully in my full view jumped the wood fence. I had taken her buddy out of the pasture and vavoom...gallop, gallop, gallop, cleared the danged fence.

That is about the time I started jumping lessons. Might as well take advantage of such things. LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I just worried that he could have gotten a leg caught in a strap or depending how he approached the fence, getting a strap caught on the wood fence post. We had another boarder's horse unsuccessfully try to jump the gate this summer and he took a tumble and was a bit sore for a few days.

Yup, I believe it. Years ago as I stood beside the stall door, 4' tall, a little 14.3 hand mare I owned jumped over it...from a standstill...and did not hit it. She had zilch, nada, no jumping training...

i've seen my 14 hand haflinger jump her 4ft fence from a standstill several times. she rocks back on her hocks and zooms over it--though never with a blanket!

My old lesson horse(the slowest horse in the entire world) cleared two 4 1/2 ft pasture fences to get into a nearby apple orchard! Before his "retirement" he was barely making it over xrails! I definitely think it can be done, although I think your horse was lucky to not get straps caught on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-racer owner
    I just worried that he could have gotten a leg caught in a strap or depending how he approached the fence, getting a strap caught on the wood fence post. We had another boarder's horse unsuccessfully try to jump the gate this summer and he took a tumble and was a bit sore for a few days.
    On an unseasonably balmy night last winter I witnessed my Rasor D take out a 4+ foot high section of wood/diamond mesh fencing from a standstill in his run-out paddock.

He was standing outside while I was picking his stall at night check when the snow on the barn roof let go due to the unusual and unfortunately timed sharp increase in temperature. The snow came sliding down with a terrible sound, a goodly chunk of it landing right on poor Rasor's back, and he reacted by busting out of his paddock in exactly the same manner he had broken from the gate so many times before in his races (and he sure had perfected the break, having raced 130 times through age ten). The fencing may as well have been matchsticks and window screens for the way it crumpled.

It was absolutely just as terrifying for me to watch as it was for Rasor to experience, I am sure. I set out after him in the pasture where he ran away, all the while conjuring up horrible mental images of the lacerations and compound fractures I was sure I was going to find.

He was fine. One little scratch on a hind cannon. Blanket completely intact, straps and all. I was flabbergasted and relieved.

Poor Rasor. Not a fan of snow sliding off the roof anymore.

Lightbulb

It can happen! As a BO I have seen it more times than I care to recall. Yet many of these same perpetrators could not do a 4' course if their life depended on it! But given the right amount of wind with a liberal sprinkling of "wild hare" and they turn into Aspercel!

Of course then there was Big Red Syd. A lovely OTTB who was just beginning turn out after a long rest from a bad bow. 4' graduated wire - bright & shiny new. With two strands of hot wire. He never even saw it. Took off in a lovely slow gallop. Head up, nostrils flaring. Heading east. Then ran into it and flipped right over it rear over front right out of the paddock! Tumbled to an up right position and loped right back too me. He stopped, cocked his head and said "Who put that there?" Not a scratch on him! I swear to God! It did not even slow his recovery he was under saddle later that week when the vet released him from his time off for the bow.

I wonder what ever happened to him - I really liked that horse! He was more jumper than hunter and went on to a better trainer than I.

Any way it happens!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

If they can buck, twist, roll, gallop, etc. with a blanket on, they can definitely jump. Take it as a sign your blanket fits well.

I think a lot of us underestimate what our horses can do without us on their backs interfering, especially if they've got a bit of adrenaline going. I once saw a Percheron mare jump over a 5 foot fence practically from a standstill with room to spare. Of course under saddle she had trouble with crossrails.

Not sure why you are asking this question if you already know he did it safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Then ran into it and flipped right over it rear over front right out of the paddock! Tumbled to an up right position and loped right back too me. He stopped, cocked his head and said "Who put that there?"
    I know I shouldn't laugh but that visual is so funny! Glad he was o-kay.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace
    Not sure why you are asking this question if you already know he did it safely.
    Well, I wouldn't believe what Rasor had done had I not seen it with my own eyes. I can relate to the incredulous tone of her inquiry. *shrugs*

I was always astonished whenever I would hear about my little 15h mare jumping out of her pastures. At one place, there was a top board loose and she jumped the fence and landed in the 10 ft. (approx.) area between the pasture and outdoor arena fence. At the next barn, she repeatedly would jump the electric tape fences between pastures. As my current BO says, "There's nothing stupid about that one." This mare has been fairly coddled most of her life from ripping her stifle open as a 2 y.o. so I'm careful not to push her too hard or too fast, but with some of the shenanigans she gets into, I've learned that there's not a darned thing wrong with her...for the most part, she's just fine! Sure, I'll probably never jump her higher than 2'6" or 3' because I do want to make sure she remains sound...and let's face it, why would I even WANT to jump her higher than that when I have a second horse who CAN do the higher jumps?
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."