The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Super cold weather makes night check a real drag!

Who else is on this less then lovely detail in the freezing COLD? Piling on my additional 8 peices of clothing to head back outside at 10pm really doesn't sound all that thrilling at the moment.

Just whining I guess.

Quit being a pansy! Just kidding, just kidding. You have my sympathy.
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Carhartts over PJ's - no fuss, no muss. Even gave extra hay without getting any inside. Amazing!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I have a severely allergic SO, so no horsey clothing can come into the house which means I undress in the house and don the horsey gear in the garage. Tonight was the first really chilly night. It dawned on me that it’s really tomorrow morning that the temps will be at their lowest. There’s nothing quite like crawling out from under a duvet only to strip nikid in a garage, to don garage temp gear before braving the elements. Woo HOO! Winter. Something to look forward to.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

I can relate. Although it was 8 degrees when I fed breakfast this morning, so tonight - at 20 - feels positively toasty! One of the reasons I moved here is that we're supposed to have fairly mild winters. My first year here, we had a snowstorm that brought 42" of snow. So now, every time I do night check in the winter and feel sorry for myself, I think of how much worse it could be

Yup, first real cold night. 12 degrees F and WINDY! Winter hasn't technically even started yet and I'm already looking forward to spring.

At least I don't have to undress/dress in the garage I guess. I truly feel for you Creaghgal. I can't even imagine. I'm wimpy when it comes to the cold.
    '98 Elbader (GB) - JC Thoroughbred Gelding
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Filly
    '11 Machiatto G - Thoroughbred Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Creaghgal View Post
    I have a severely allergic SO, so no horsey clothing can come into the house which means I undress in the house and don the horsey gear in the garage. Tonight was the first really chilly night. It dawned on me that it’s really tomorrow morning that the temps will be at their lowest. There’s nothing quite like crawling out from under a duvet only to strip nikid in a garage, to don garage temp gear before braving the elements. Woo HOO! Winter. Something to look forward to.
    Wow you are rugged. I might find myself looking for a new SO
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Well it's 0 here with a projected low of minus something. I didn't even take my fleece hat off tonight knowing I would have to just put it back on again.
    So yes, carharts, snow boots and a HUGE down coat, gloves and away I go. *sigh* winter is not easy when you have horses.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Okay, I'll quit whining about today's high only being in the 40's! You guys are hard core!!
    Y'all ain't right!

I put my coat in the dryer for a minute, so it's really toasy warm before I head out for night check. Try it, you'll like it.

wow. you are a brave, brave woman. i'd die if i had to do that. i even bring my riding clothes from my car into the office so when i change for the barn after work i won't have to put on cold clothes.

my hat is off to you, Creaghgal!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Yeah, those of us in the WET, green, moldy side of WA are experiencing our 7th day of lows in the teens and highs in the low 20s--this it be not normal!!

For me, it is the static electricity that comes along with such dry, cold air and the wind we always get when it gets like this! I don't dare touch my horses, they look so surprised when I shock the hell out of them and me. Night check means hauling more water to the stalls by the bucket load. Wet sweats are NOT comfortable!

Now, we are expecting snow and freezing rain to "ease us out" of the arctic cold. Yippee.... horse chores will now mean trudging thru drifts and shoveling out the barn where the snow sifts in...double yippee.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

This is my first year having the horses at home and NOW I get what you all are talking about. My favorite is hauling buckets of water and picking frozen poop out of paddocks...

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    picking frozen poop out of paddocks...
    I fondly refer to those as Poop Bergs.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

. There’s nothing quite like crawling out from under a duvet only to strip nikid in a garage, to don garage temp gear before braving the elements. Woo HOO! Winter. Something to look forward to.
    Wow. You must really love him! That would kill me. Perhaps literally, combined temp and windchill this a.m. was -35 Celsius. That is -31 F for the Yanks.

My elderly labrador insists on coming out to the barn with me but then she runs out of gas 3/4's of the way back and I have to carry her the last bit back into the house. I think I will have to put dog winter booties on her just to go the barn, she may be old but she is not that light!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Carhartts over PJ's - no fuss, no muss. Even gave extra hay without getting any inside. Amazing!

Thats the uniform!!! I ve also learned that its worth spending the money on quality base layers. LL bean has great clothes. they have an awesome return policy if things dont fit. I always wore 8 layers of cheap clothing. not worth it. You can spend $100 bucks on 2 really good layers designed for outdoor sports and they last for years.
    Check at Cabela's and Moosejaw as well
    MOutain hardware has an amazing pull over that is comfortable and super warm. its my favorite shirt.

http://www.brmsstore.com/php-bin/eco...1&next_id=7052

it has matching pants too

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    I fondly refer to those as Poop Bergs.
    I can them poop-scicles! my dogs' favorite winter snack!

You can also find water proof gloves-Amazing!! except when they get wet and you touch metal and the glove stays with the bucket.

Once im out I actually love winter night check. Its so peaceful and quiet- and ridiculously hilarious!

down side is that it wakes me up!

I think static electricity is the WORST

I will not whine about it anymore- I don't have to change in the garage! I will now think of you creaghgal at late check!

Once I get out there, though it is peaceful, and beautiful! When I walk down to the barn, and the stars are amazing....

Except I am wide awake when I get back! My husband asked me the other night if I have a coffemaker or other "stimulants" down there! I come back up so perky!
    Last edited by Brandy76; Dec. 11, 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typos
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvdrummers View Post
    I ve also learned that its worth spending the money on quality base layers.... You can spend $100 bucks on 2 really good layers designed for outdoor sports and they last for years.
    My favorite is Icebreaker (www.icebreaker.com). Their stuff is pricey but the quality is incredible and if you get on their email list they're always sending out coupons.

I am so glad I shopped for Under Armour cold gear last July. It is a lifesaver and I got it at a bargain.

This is my first winter having them at home (and really only 4 are at home in my pasture and run-in, 2 are boarded self-care about a half mile down the road).

I start my truck before I even start getting dressed. Under Armour head to toe, 2 pairs of wool socks, LL Bean flannel lined jeans, wool sweater (I hunt GoodWill for 100% wool sweaters, don't care what they look like), then my coup-de-gras, my 44 mens size Carhart with my grandpa's old wool hunting shirt inside. It weighs about 20+ pounds (I get winded carrying the extra weight) but I guarantee I am not cold! Add a suade and fleece hat and warm gloves and good to go!

It takes me as long to get dressed to go out as it does to actually go out and feed/check.
    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway