The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just got saddle from ebay AND...

it looks to me like the panels are cracked. Here are pictures:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Saddle1-1.jpg

If I run my fingers over these lines, I can definitely feel them. Is this something that is going to eventually split? Can it be repaired? Nothing was mentioned in the description about the saddle being damaged..I'm a little miffed!

Those are called "spider cracks." They happen to very fine-grained (and fine) leather.

Theoretically (and 20 years from now) the leather will split along these lines if it splits at all.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just continue to take care of your saddle well.

Some people around here know what causes it. I don't quite get what they say. Perhaps those experts will post and educate us.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I had some of those on the seat of my saddle near the pommel. I had a Devoucoux lady come look at (and appraise) my saddle the other day and she said it was nothing to worry about. I wouldn't worry unless it it's actually splitting.

I'm no expert on leather but I have a saddle that has had those since I got it 5 years ago. It has been in regular use since then and admittedly not the best care (I try, but I'm really busy! ) and they still look pretty much the same, and certainly haven't developed into serious cracks.

Whew! Thanks everyone, you've put my mind at ease! I like the saddle; I just didn't want it to fall apart on me after a couple of rides! This is the first higher end saddle that I've had and I guess the leather just is different than my others.

I can't wait to try it!

When I first bought my saddle I had this notion that you should never condition the seat or the panels. I swear I read it somewhere but I think I was confused with oil. Anyway, last winter I had to send my saddle to a master saddler for another matter and they told me that the cracking is from a lack of conditioners. ARGH! And here I thought I was doing something good. Anyway they also told me that as long as you continue to condition it will help extend the life of the leather.

they look like fat wrinkles to me..I wouldn't worry about them.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg