The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Auctioning?

I am trying to sell a horse who I just recently put on the market. He is in the $10,000 to $15,000 range I think in this market and probably more like $20,000 a year or two ago. Anyway, I board at a nice barn but we aren't a sale barn and I don't want to send the horse far enough away that I wouldn't see him/check on him regularly so I don't want to send him to a consignment place. I am kind of pressed to sell him for a variety of reasons and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Virginia Hunter & Sport Horse Spring Auction. It's really important to me that this horse end up in a good place more than the amount of money I get for him.

I was thinking that if he didn't sell by February I could enter him in the auction. Does anyone have any experience with this? It's a tough market and I just want to make sure this horse goes to a good place. I definitely care more about that than the money.

Any advice?

My only reservation with auctions is that the companies that hold them are so adamant that "this is what your horse is worth". Well, no, it isn't, otherwise comparable horses wouldn't be selling for much more. I looked into it for some of the youngsters, and most of the time the sale price doesn't even cover the cost of the semen. The prices are better for horses going under saddle, but it all depends on what type of horse yours is. If he's stellar, you can expect around what you want. But if he's at the lower end of the spectrum for the horses being offered, don't expect to get as much. If he's comparable to the horses typically offered, go. If not, then be ready to put a reserve of "no sale" him.

Unfortunately, auctions over here still seem to attract the bargain hunters. I don't see many going for what they would if they were sold privately. If you need to sell him, and don't really care if he sells for less than what you want, go for it. Otherwise, I would seriously look into sending him to a consignment barn. If you're in VA, there are a lot of good places up there.

I recently sold a horse through their auction. She could have easily sold for 10,000 and I got half of that. The good thing is she went to a wonderful home and a very talented young lady who is doing much more with her than I could have done. It was a very stressful process though.

So I have been hearing that younger horses that aren't going or are barely under saddle are sold for less than they are worth on the market. My horse is a been there/done that kind of guy but he is 13. He is a solid 3' hunter so it seems like I should be able to get at least 8 to 10 thousand for him I would hope. What do you think? Am I totally off base? Going to a good home is my priority. Is it a difficult process?

If you sell through an auction, the horse will sell to who ever is willing to pay for it. assuming any reserve is met. There really is no way to vet out the buyers and ensure that the home is a good one. IMO, if a good home is the priority, an auction is not the way to go.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

We've bought & sold through these auctions. The good news is they aren't "killer buyer" auctions & a horse that sells will probably find a home & you don't need to have nightmares about where the horse ended up.

We've been happy with the home(s) our sale horses got; we think the people who've sold horses to us have felt the same way.

But these are a buyer's market, so hold onto that thought about wanting a good for your horse more than wanting him to bring value . . .
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I echo what KB Equine said--it's a buyers' market right now. Be prepared to get less than you think the horse is worth, or for it to no-sale if you set a high enough reserve.

I *personally*, if I were looking for a packer, BT/DT hunter, would find $8000 reasonable for a 13-year-old provided he was sound and sane.