The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who else's horse is wild in this weather, LOL??

So my 20+ appy and I have an outdoor lesson. He takes me to our ring (10 min. ride) politely and calmly despite the raging and howling wind and cold. Get to the ring, meet trainer - we trot figure eight patterns and he is SUCH a good boy - very forward but good. Teacher puts him on lunge line to work on my canter position and he starts "playing"....dropping head, kicking up. Teacher says, "Hop off - I think old guy here needs to run off some steam"...she lunges him and proceeds to go WILD bucking like a rodeo horse, racing around. He was SO SO happy - he must have bucked 20 times.

The ring had fabulous footing - it was near perfect even after the rain - the wind had dried it out and we think this was the first time in DAYS he had secure footing (no snow, snowballs, mud) to really let loose on. It was a treat to watch and teacher reiterated what a good boy he was with me on his back BEFORE he got all this energy out, LOL. I just love him!

Then I get home and my 3 goldens had raided my pantry and tore open a box of oatmeal packets....it was EVERYWHERE and they each greeted me at the door with a piece of the box.

I love my wild pets! Any other cold weather, windy stories?

I've got some over here. My TB gelding was VERY forward today. I thought he was going to be quiet since he was really snuggly right before the ride. He never lets me hug him but today he was being so sweet. I should have known that he was just saving up his energy and plotting.

He bounced and bucked around a lot and for some crazy reason I decided to go ahead and jump him. After a rocky landing full of crowhops he was actually pretty good for the rest of the ride but now I can barely walk I'm so tired. And I have a lesson tomorrow. Ugh. Thats gonna hurt.

And of course we came home to the two kittens playing jungle cat in the christmas tree. Ornaments are everywhere and they even took the bows off our presents and are scooting them around the kitchen. Monsters.

OH MY GOD!

I put Trever on the longe line yesterday and he went N U T S nuts! Squealing and squawking and doing the NFR MVP Bucking Horse bucks for like 15 mins. I just let him work through it-total case of the "I'm a long-yearling"s

I was more sweaty than he was lol.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

My usually very calm and lazy WB has been very spunky since the weather has been cold. Before it cooled off I could just get on him and go but I have now been lunging him or turning him out before each ride. If I don't, then yeah, he is definitely a handful.

Good Lord my mild mannered Paco is like a crazy man!!!!! He is whooping it up all over the place!

All my Georgia Peaches came from Sunkissed Acres so this might be the first time they have had 6 inches of snow and cold, cold weather. I know it gets cold and yucky at Loris but the way these guys are acting
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

My mare just about walked out to her field on her hind legs LOL - I had to remind her quite a few times that she's not suppossed to drag me around. Then when I turned her around and told her it was okay for her to go, she took off bucking and farting and carrying on like a looney tune.

I opted to wait til tomorrow to ride LOL ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    My mare just about walked out to her field on her hind legs LOL - I had to remind her quite a few times that she's not suppossed to drag me around. Then when I turned her around and told her it was okay for her to go, she took off bucking and farting and carrying on like a looney tune.

I opted to wait til tomorrow to ride LOL ...
    I got some farts too
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Turnout has been awful the past few days - the mud is ankle deep and most of the horses are smart enough to be cautious in it. Add limited, bad turnout to 40 mph winds and 32 degrees and you get a varying degree of crazy. I knew my horse would need to be lunged before riding today. He walked quietly and calmly to the outdoor and waited until I had backed away 10 feet before squealing like a girl and bucking like mad. He is so cute to watch. He rarely pulls on the lunge line so it's never a war between us and to see a very stocky 16.3 hand ISH performing aerial gymnastics is quite entertaining. After about 15 minutes of this he came down to a nice trot, stopped and looked at me as if to say "okay, I'm better now" and we went inside and had a nice ride.

All I can say is - from the look of her blanket, legs and tummy, I'm glad I didn't witness this morning's turnout! (Didn't ride today - she got shoes.)
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

My guy definitely had some extra "zip" in his step today, LOL!!!

My daughter's pony has mud where no self respecting girl pony should have mud!

My TB is being half leased and it was not my turn to ride him today so I am wondering how that worked out for her lol.

He's USUALLY fine in the cold, just a little stiff at first. I am hoping he didn't throw anything extra into the mix.

Yep, my TB was feeling mighty good for our ride. With the crappy weather I haven't been able to ride much but today I finally talked myself into it.

I lunged him for 10-15 minutes and he bucked like a maniac with a few squeals. Then I rode him for another 15 minutes until it got dark (I hate the lack of daylight)!!! He as actually very good for our ride. I was totally shocked!!!!

Mine were in this afternoon waiting for the farrier. When it finally came time to put them out, you'd have thought they had been in for days!! All had their heads in the air as I took them to their fields--goofballs!!

It was in the high 30's yesterday late afternoon when I went to ride. It was also very windy. Hadn't ridden in a couple of days due to rain and then farrier. I was riding in the ring(outdoors) and barn manager was bringing stall horses in. My TB mare was being very well behaved. It was so cold that I had a wool cooler over back end and wrapped around my legs to keep us warm. As the barn manager was trying to get one of the younger horses in the gate blew out of her hands and both of the mares in that field hightailed it away from the barn and out towards the main driveway that leads to the road. The one horse is 18.2 h and when she is bucking and farting it is quite a production. They were running around the one end of the ring. I decided that perhaps I had ridden long enough hehe. My mare was fine and I tied her to the trailer and went to see if barn manager needed help. Luckily, the loose horses ran thru the gate into a pasture along the driveway and she was able to contain them until they had run and bucked and gotten all the wild out.

Mine are covered with mud and frolicking in the high winds.
    Whhhhyyy do I worry about them so much? They are lovin' this crazy weather.
    I curry the mud off, it is back on by the end of the day. At least last night the mud froze.

Mine are pretty goofy too. The older ones don't run as much if the footing's messy, but nothing stops the 4 year old from zipping around. (He's barefoot and doesn't mind frozen ground - so much for the "all OTTBs have bad feet" & "white feet are weak" that everyone told me when I got him) Thankfully the others in the field put up with him. He plays with his jolly ball (chasing the other horses), plays with sticks (chasing the other horses), chases any barn cats dumb enough to wander in the pasture . . .

Of course, when I ride him then he's too tired to do a "big boy" trot for more than a few laps!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyblue View Post
    All I can say is - from the look of her blanket, legs and tummy, I'm glad I didn't witness this morning's turnout! (Didn't ride today - she got shoes.)
    LOL - I unfortunately got to witness mine - it was scary - they even rolled in the ice cold mud- my boys had so much mud on their legs, bellies, blankets, and tails the other day - only b/c of their faces I could tell them apart - one is chestnut, the other gray that's ho wmuch mud they had!

I had the pleasure of hosing their legs off outside in the 50mph wind and frozen temps b/c i needed to make sure no one was injured and they still had shoes.

Now the ground is frozen and they aren't moving around much...supposed to warm up this weekend, so I am expecting them to be nut cases again...sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    LOL - I unfortunately got to witness mine - it was scary - they even rolled in the ice cold mud- my boys had so much mud on their legs, bellies, blankets, and tails the other day - only b/c of their faces I could tell them apart - one is chestnut, the other gray that's ho wmuch mud they had!
    Jeez! I don't think my TB mare took the time to roll. The blanket was clean, just taken out of the store room the day before, and the dirt markings on the sides looked like wings fanning out to the rear! LOL! I also noticed that her pasturemate (grey TB mare) had a big mud spot right on her forehead - guess she must have been running right behind my nutjob! It's frozen here today too and I'm at work so won't see the wild thing until tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to it! LOL!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Well I wish my boy had some extra energy! He is just his same old regular self. I ride him with a fleece quarter sheet and we both stay nice and toasty even in the 30s Although, he does seem to have more endurance--rode for 2 hours today and he was a dream. Finally got in trouble for stopping using bell boots though...took a huge chunk out of his heel, poor pony