The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Funny things kids say about riding

On Tuesday it was cold and windy in the ring, I was teaching Dd how to ask for a LEG YIELD on her overly broke small pony.
    That night at dinner DH asked her if she had a good ride, her response: " yes mommy taught me egg heels today and Lizzy danced across the ring" I burst out laughing!!!
    Of course I then had to explain what I REALLY asked for but I can assure you leg yields will forever be egg heels between DD and I!!
    any other funny mix ups that you have heard???
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Two small girls watching a course and one tells the other "did you see her fly over the oxford?"

I had taken my QH gelding up to my cousin's preschool for a horse lesson. I was showing them basic anatomy and tack when a little girls said she knew what the saddle was for--"to keep your pants clean!"
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

they are both funny!! gotta love kids, they say the best things!
    Kim

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Auditing a dressage clinic from the rail, I asked one of two young girls standing next to me if they knew what breed of horse was in the ring.

The rider was a boarder at the barn as I gathered they were from their (overheard) conversation.
    First one shook her head, then the second chimed in:
    "He's a Holstein"

gee...and he wasn't even a B&W horse...

hellerkm:
    You realize I am not going to be able to work on "egg heels" ever again w/o calling them that
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Auditing a dressage clinic from the rail, I asked one of two young girls standing next to me if they knew what breed of horse was in the ring.

The rider was a boarder at the barn as I gathered they were from their (overheard) conversation.
    First one shook her head, then the second chimed in:
    "He's a Holstein"

gee...and he wasn't even a B&W horse...

Hellerkm:
    You realize I am not going to be able to work on "egg heels" ever again w/o calling them that
    WOW I want to ride a cow in a clinic LOL! and yes I think egg heels will be VERY hard to get rid of around here too LOL!
    Kim

While I was in college, I spent my summers as a camp riding instructor. On days that the weather wasn't cooperating, we'd talk to the campers about other aspects of horse care and handling. At one point, the lesson was on horse behavior and herd dynamics, so we stood out by the fence and watched the horses out at pasture and pointed out some of the ways they were interacting.

There was a particularly fat little paint pony who was the herd reject. He was very cute, but way at the bottom of the pecking order. One of the younger girls noticed this and asked "so, is Cherokee in the lower-archy?"

It soon became an officially recognized term within the riding department.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

We had a young girl taking lessons at my former barn and she was a bit of an airhead. Well she was riding her favorite horse and finally was able to get him in front of her leg and on the bit. She said "he's all bendy!" Too cute.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

DH's wonderful aunt hosted Pony Club camps every summer.

They were learning about horse anatomy in a q+a format. When the instructor pointed to the area below the knee one tiny little girl piped up "That's the cannonball !!!

This same group of campers referred to the the thing they got on their ponies with was "the mountain block" !!

Funny thing is that twenty years later I still get a laugh out of using their phrases.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

My daughters GROWN boyfriend who was born in a soviet block country wanted to know if we ever wondered how the horse felt about being a slave
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    My daughters GROWN boyfriend who was born in a soviet block country wanted to know if we ever wondered how the horse felt about being a slave
    Take this guy to the barn and show him who is slaving over who! My horse has several slaves but sure isn't one himself.

I've heard oxers called oxfords too. It's cute. Kids take new words like "leg yield" and "oxer" and since those words mean nothing, they turn thim into words they they do know.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I was showing at a local county fair a few years back and a little kid saw my horse, a very loud leopard Appaloosa, and dragged his mom over, pointing and saying, "Mommy, Mommy, LOOK! A ZEBRA!"

My old grey horse was loose one day enjoying a snack on the hay bales when two little girls saw him. He was about six feet from the petting zoo where they were looking at the goats and sheep. One of the girls pointed to him and commented that that was the biggest goat she had ever seen!

Becky & the boys
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013