The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swelling along saddle pad seams?

I've been using a shimmed Thinline saddle pad (love these) and noticed that there was a straight line across my horses's side that was clearly swelling, exactly where the edge of the shim was. Hmmmm weird. The shims are less than 1/4" thick. Ok, changed pads. Your basic Western Weaver Memory Foam pad. Under the pad is two rows of stitching. Again, swelling exactly where the stitching lines are. Ok, next pad... your basic fleece pad, with your basic stitching between the fleece and the navajho weave. (these are all your everyday pads, nothing "unusual" about them) Again, clearly swelling along my horses side anywhere that there was the slightest deviation in the saddle pad. Also changed saddles in the middle of these pads, and still swelling anywhere that there was the slightest mark, stitching or deviation in the pad.

What could be causing this? A friend of mine actually asked if he could be retaining water. The "swelling" is THAT noticable. You can see it standing back several feet away. My guys is a thick skinned Spotted Saddle horse. Not "sensitive" in any way. Not thin skinned... he's a tough fella.. but these "swellings" are sooo noticable, and I think, have just started over the last few months. Only difference in his environment is he has lymes and is on doxy. Otherwise, nothing has changed in a few years with his diet, exercise, etc.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Default Hay

Hay GG! How are ya? Could it simply be pressurations? We used to call those lines you'd get from sleeping on something wrinkly or sitting on something wrinkly for long periods of time pressurations. (Spell check is giving me fits about the spelling...)

Are they painful?
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Are you sure it's swelling, or are you seeing the depression of the hair where the pad was compared to the fluffed hair where the pad wasn't?

if it's really swelling I wonder if it is related to the lyme/doxy- maybe retaining water??
    Has the saddle fit been checked (fairly recently) by a professional- WITH said saddle pad? If it has, maybe for curiosity, next time your vet is out or you get a chance, ask him/her if it's possible he's retaining fluid.
    I sometimes see that "waffle weave" pattern on my horse after riding, but it's more like what pines4equines described- like sleeping on something with a pattern, not swelling.

Several of us have looked at it and we are all seeing "swelling". At first I thought it was the puffed up winter hair, sleep lines, etc.. but its truly swelling.... I'm going to ask about the Doxy.. thank you!
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com