The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default development- Middleburg especially

was doing a search for something else and came across the threads on development in Middleburg and other areas.
    I LOVE Middleburg and the plains exactly the way it is. I drove through there recently after a long hiatus, and was appalled at the number of tourists clogging the streets. However, just driving on 50 it seemed as though not a tremendous amount of development has occured- like it did with warrenton and anywhere north of c-ville.
    Just wondering if any locals in middleburg, the plains, and so forth, had any updates? Has the recession slowed down or changed some things???
    Lived near Potomac and Poolesville, MD for a bit, that is also beautiful area and hoping it doesn't change either!!!
    I know this could end up being a trainwreck, but I hope that we can be polite to each other... we're all horse lovers here!

Western Montgomery Co. will stay nice UNLESS a new bridge is built across the Potomac between the Cabin John and Point of Rocks. If that happens, kiss the rural character of that area goodbye. And say goodbye to all the lovely little farmettes.

As long as there's no bridge, it's safe.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by murphyluv View Post
    However, just driving on 50 it seemed as though not a tremendous amount of development has occured- like it did with warrenton and anywhere north of c-ville.
    I would disagree here. When I used to drive to Dominion Saddlery - now Dover - it was out in the middle of nowhere. Now it is nothing but strip malls and traffic lights from I66 on up. The traffic is terrible even on weekends.

I seem to remember hearing that a lot of the landowners in The Plains, Upperville area, and Middleburg have put their property into conservation easements, which limits the degree to which it can be developed (yay!) and preserves the character of the area (double yay!).

I would disagree here. When I used to drive to Dominion Saddlery - now Dover - it was out in the middle of nowhere. Now it is nothing but strip malls and traffic lights from I66 on up. The traffic is terrible even on weekends.
    Ditto, ugh. It makes getting out in that direction a bit of a nightmare.

A lot of the land has been put into conservation but so much has changed. Traffic circles and the route 15 nightmare make for some interesting drives out there. I don't recognize that road anymore, nor leesburg and surrounding.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

oh yep, I forgot about the traffic circles. Especially the one at 15 and 50- that is bad.

I hate the sprawl. Development has totally ruined the lovely rural character of So. MD as well. They slapped up a ton of low quality 'affordable' housing and low level mcmansions that are now all in foreclosure. There's litter everywhere, the stores are filthy and trashed, and the schools are not a whole lot better than the bad inner city schools with fights and drugs. It was a lovely quiet area when we first moved here 20 years ago.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Western Montgomery Co. will stay nice UNLESS a new bridge is built across the Potomac between the Cabin John and Point of Rocks. If that happens, kiss the rural character of that area goodbye. And say goodbye to all the lovely little farmettes. As long as there's no bridge, it's safe.
    Safe? Classic NIMBY. Consider safety...From Cabin John to Point of Rocks there is no crossing except for the excreable and horribly expensive White's Ferry. Want to landlock the area, damage Point of Rocks bridge, how would that impact the area and commuters. Those cute little expensive farmettes would still be there but available to more people. People could drive to work in other areas without horrendous commutes, could go shopping more easily, jobs and housing available for others than the well off who already have THEIR farms.

Sorry, but I'd love to see a bridge at an extension of Rt. 28 into Monkey County.

In this large metropolitan area, it's obscene to have so few ways to commute due to the few spoiled and wealthy owners blocking the access to the rest of the citizenry.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Much of the land surrounding Middleburg, The Plains and Upperville is protected from over-development by conservation easements.

These two maps will give you an idea of what land is currently conserved, although they only go to the end of 2008. New 2009 maps will be up in early 2010:

http://www.pecva.org/anx/index.cfm/1...Loudoun-County

http://www.pecva.org/anx/index.cfm/1...auquier-County

Route 50 to the east of Gilberts Corner (Rt. 15 intersection) is very heavily developed, or is likely to get there in the near future. West of Rt. 15 is still largely held in bigger estates, and under easement. However, there is still plenty of work to be done to further protect the character of the area, both east AND west of Rt. 15.

As for the traffic circles, by all accounts, they are making the intersection at Gilberts Corner safer and preventing the massive backups that had been growing by the year. They take some getting used to, but as drivers adapt, we'll all be safer and sit in traffic less.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    I think (assume?) she probably meant 50 once you pass Gilbert's Corner. I haven't been out that way in about a year, but then it looked pretty much exactly the same as the first time I did 15 years ago.

Agree that 50 east of Gilbert's Corner is a completely different world now.

I used to board in the general area of Gilbert's Corner. The commute out 50 was was up to an hour and a half on the bad days. I now go ten miles farther to the barn using the highway and it takes me less time (unless there's an accident).

Don't know the Maryland laws, but presumably there's some kind of conservation easement law there as well that would allow the bridge and the lovely farms to peacefully coexist.

Western Montgomery Co. will stay nice UNLESS a new bridge is built across the Potomac between the Cabin John and Point of Rocks. If that happens, kiss the rural character of that area goodbye. And say goodbye to all the lovely little farmettes.

As long as there's no bridge, it's safe.
    Which is why there will NEVER be a bridge!
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Safe? Classic NIMBY. Consider safety...From Cabin John to Point of Rocks there is no crossing except for the excreable and horribly expensive White's Ferry. Want to landlock the area, damage Point of Rocks bridge, how would that impact the area and commuters. Those cute little expensive farmettes would still be there but available to more people. People could drive to work in other areas without horrendous commutes, could go shopping more easily, jobs and housing available for others than the well off who already have THEIR farms.

Sorry, but I'd love to see a bridge at an extension of Rt. 28 into Monkey County.

In this large metropolitan area, it's obscene to have so few ways to commute due to the few spoiled and wealthy owners blocking the access to the rest of the citizenry.

That is why we have lawyers working proactively, people with your attitude
    It is spoiled to tear up beautiful land over and over again instead of finding better ways to use public transportation or how about spoiled people rehabbing homes and neighborhoods closer to their work, or taking public transportation. Spoiled to want to preserve historic sites and keep wildlife and rural areas as preserved as much as possible? You way of thinking is obscene to many people thankfully.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

It is spoiled to tear up beautiful land over and over again instead of finding better ways to use public transportation or how about spoiled people rehabbing homes and neighborhoods closer to their work, or taking public transportation.
    It's pretty appalling to see a large amount of trashed, under-inhabited neighborhoods close in but everyone "needs" 6 bedrooms and pergo so they must drive for two hours to get to work.

The former Mr. Trixie's parents moved from a development in Lorton to one in a formerly rural community in Tennessee and couldn't figure out why everyone there hated them, despite the fact that they flat refused to assimilate with the culture already in place. They mostly spent the days complaining that it was a mile and a half to the new grocery store and pointing at fields and excitedly informing us that they were going to be developed shortly. It was sometime around the trip to SEE (not shop) the new "Lifestyle Mall" (rebranded strip mall) that I started to go numb.

The traffic in this area is already unlivable. Continued development in that direction will not help.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Trixie that must have been unbearable to listen to!! I hate seeing beautiful buildings sitting in despair while fields are torn up for new housing communities, sure no one wants to live where it is unsafe, but there has to be a mutual respect for the land we live on and our desires. To have such callous attitudes of tear it up to make it easier and I don't want to commute this long or need better shopping or sock it to some wealthy farm owners, is the spiteful, selfish bitterness that has caused a lot of the problems our society deals with.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

In this market, it's not just about living where it's unsafe: you can now buy a single family home in a safe part of Alexandria for a few hundred thousand - LESS than many McMansions. However, that house may be "lesser" - have fewer bedrooms or less updates. But, there are quite a few and they're certainly not slums. Many can be fixed up for the cost of paint and fixtures.

And it's a relatively brief commute, many have access to public transportation. And yet, I'm hearing folks like my coworker complain about his two hours of sitting on I-95 to go 20 miles at 8 a.m. He lives in a brand new house with no access to public transportation.

Moesha, our trip to the lifestyle mall was immediately following our flight. I think the former Mr. Trixie got back at me after I dumped him by moving into a McTownhome. Unfortunately for him, half his street is now in foreclosure or vacant, and he's quickly discovering that he can't get anywhere without driving.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

When I said the word "safe" I was not making a socioeconomic judgment about who would live in a more developed area. Not even. I was saying that a bridge across the Potomac (at 28 or wherever) would lead to the ugly McMansionization of western Mont. Co.

Trakehner, I used to live in Fairfax Co., and I detest it with every fibre of my being. It is underserved with roads and overbuilt with houses and stores but not municipal amenities like parks. The best way to keep Mont. Co. looking more like MD and less like VA is keeping out another bridge. I will do anything I can as a voter and political actor to keep said bridge from ever happening. Sorry, you can't call me enough names to change that.

Western Mont. Co. is beautiful and rural and full of birds and critters, but a river crossing would rape it. If I wanted to live in No.Va., I would move there. YOu are welcome to it, but you are not welcome to export its development model to MD.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Western Mont. Co. is beautiful and rural and full of birds and critters, but a river crossing would rape it. If I wanted to live in No.Va., I would move there. YOu are welcome to it, but you are not welcome to export its development model to MD.

Thanks Lori B that was beautifully said!
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post

Trak... I don't think its so much a case of NIMBY as it is a realistic look at what happens to a rural area when you send a major commuter route through it. At some point, that major commuter route will become a congested strip mall and development commuter nightmare along with all the others that already exist.

It would be beyond wonderful if we had better mass transit to outlying areas. Its just as selfish to drive your car alone for an hour when a commuter bus or train is available just for the sake of 'convenience' and then whine that you want a better, less congested commuter route from the outlying areas, isn't it? My 35 minute commute has turned into an hour, but I live where I do because I moved there 20 years ago and wanted to live in a rural community on my lovely little farmette. If there were mass transit available to me that would get me safely to and from my job for the hours that I work, I would use it!

The answer to NoVA's traffic nightmares isn't another bridge. Its better mass transit.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

Moesha, our trip to the lifestyle mall was immediately following our flight. I think the former Mr. Trixie got back at me after I dumped him by moving into a McTownhome. Unfortunately for him, half his street is now in foreclosure or vacant, and he's quickly discovering that he can't get anywhere without driving.
    Trixie, that is a great point these empty malls, building, developments, in California one developer literally tore down entire new neighborhoods...all empty and not selling because it was a better business move then trying to give them away.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl