The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need COTH Help -Moving Horse from TX to NY for Dying Girl with Cancer

I have never tried to organize anything like this, but here it goes. My friend Andy Schneider, aka "Chicken Whisperer" with a chicken theme radio show, is doing a radio benefit for a young teen girl with terminal cancer. This young lady has one last wish, which is to attend a working horse ranch in TX and finally have her very own horse. Angels have come through already to provide both the horse and opportunity for her (and her family) at the ranch.

The horse then needs to get from TX to her home in NY to be with her for her last few months. (The horse will go back to where he is donated from, so don't worry about that part). But, the horse needs to get from TX to NY. Dates are not set, but it will most likely be Dec. or early Jan.

Would you think it is better to organize a commercial shipper and rely on donations to pay, or do you think we can get some COTH people together to pull this off? I can provide a rest stop for the horse in Chicago, and take him several more hours east (or to NY if need be), but have no idea how to get him from TX to me, or the rest of the way. Plus, with organizing a commercial shipper, I am worried it would take a lot of time to get him on a run they are doing, and I have to say time is of the essence for this girl right now.

So, I am asking for some help and guidance because COTHers are so wonderful at pulling out all the stops to get something done!

Here is a Facebook page for the radio fundraiser event, and if anyone has the means right now to make a financial donation to help cover the ranch visit for Jessica and her family...
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/e...5287804&ref=mf

Here is some more information about this (also on Facebook):
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3031452&ref=mf

This is most likely her last Christmas, so if you can offer any help, I would really appreciate it!

I'll post more info like exact dates and locations as soon as I get them. This just sort of 'happened' and there are a lot of people pulling together to get this accomplished.

I just want to add I think it is hilarious that there are "chicken" people out there that are just as wondeful and helpful as the "horse" people. Jessica's family is friends with "chicken" people, so the word spread amongst farmyard animal lovers.
    Last edited by Marcella; Dec. 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
    Illinois Equine Attorney - www.zipptocourt.com

I would contact the Make a Wish foundation. I donated a horse a few years back now but they facilitated all the funds for the lady that undertook the project to begin with. When little Kristen passed away, I opted to leave Serene with her brothers and sisters since they loved her so much as well. Make a Wish paid for her transport and all tack for Serene was donated I think by Horsetown but not sure.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

The horse can overnight (or two) at my barn here in KS. I'm 20 miles south of Kansas City.

I have organized a few cross country trains...but my recommendation would be to do the pro hauler and take donations. I am sure I could scramble up a few bucks for a cause like that.

If you just set up a pay pal account it's really easy for people to donate and then transfer funds.

I used a hauler from TC..Azevdo Transportation--used them twice for moves to and from TX and they were awesome.. Just a thought.l
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The horse will be in Seguin, TX.

The paypal donation can be made through The Chicken Whisperer. He has arranged the ranch and the horse, and pretty well covered the airfare for her and her family through donations. Now, just the horse!

This is the email address for paypal. Just put in "Jessica's Christmas Wish" in the subject or let Andy Schneider know it is for her.
    chickenwhisperer@chickenwhisperer.net

Thanks so much everyone! I'll try to keep everyone updated.

My daughters have met Jessica and they say she is wonderful, amazing and beautiful. My heart breaks for her each time I think of her. If there is anything my girls and I can do once the horse is here, please pm and let me know. I know her Facebook is asking people to donate $5 which I think is so do-able even at this time of year. I am asking the wonderful people of COTH to send this sweet young girl the $5 donation so that her last days can be amazing.

BUMP

Given weather issues this time of year, I think it might be best to put this into the hands of professionals.

Would it be possible to prevail upon someone in her home area to make a horse available to her, instead of sending one across the country? Or is there a particular horse that she has already chosen?

Is there a snail-mail address for donations?
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I ditto the pro part too.

Does Jessica have a facebook fan page a web page or the sort? We could certainly try to network it to the hilt
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Try Equine Express, I used them to haul a horse from Texas to NY. They might be able to help. I would write to them on their web site and explain what you need. They can probably take a tax deduction and in turn d a good deed. Good deeds are the best type of advertising!!!

You can Google them with Equine Express (in Pilot Point.)
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Try Equine Express, I used them to haul a horse from Texas to NY. They might be able to help. I would write to them on their web site and explain what you need. They can probably take a tax deduction and in turn d a good deed. Good deeds are the best type of advertising!!!

You can Google them with Equine Express (in Pilot Point.)
    I'm in public relations. If any shipping company offers to donate their fees to this cause I will volunteer to write and distribute a press release for them so that they can get the benefit from their good deed .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I'll donate to this. Where in NY is the horse going (or did I miss that?)? Do they need help covering the cost of board, and who will cover the cost of shipping the horse back to Texas?

Does Jessica have a CaringBridge site?
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

If their route includes Route 285 through NM, I'd be glad to accommodate a layover.

I can do the same in Alabama.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I would just like to put a link on--the radio show is going on RIGHT NOW!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/profile...ackyardpoultry

Listen in, call to say Hi to Jessica, and let her know just how many people are out there that are cheering for her!

Change of plans for the better--

Through the AQHA a horse was found close by her home in NY, and one that has been looked at by the therapeutic riding center she rides at. So...no need to try to figure out how to get the horse moved.

She will still be going to the ranch in TX.

Donate if you can to help with medical bills, but I think now prayers are even more important to pray for her strength and a miracle to help her beat this cancer.