The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    6,079

    Default Anyone recognize this brand?

    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...9/skybrand.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../skybrand2.jpg

    My friend bought this horse and was told it was a holsteiner, but the brand does not look exactly like it should, so any guesses?
    Last edited by Beethoven; Dec. 10, 2009 at 10:53 AM.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...9/skybrand.jpg

    My friend bought this horse and was told it was a holsteiner, but the brand does not look exactly like it should, so any guesses?
    Looks to me like a botched Holsteiner brand. Maybe the horse moved while they did it!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2006
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Knock off holsteiner?
    Horse Management Apps for iPhone and Android!
    http://www.rendaivu.com
    Capital Warmbloods
    http://www.capitalwarmbloods.com



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 14, 2002
    Posts
    5,563

    Default

    Hessen?



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2009
    Posts
    17



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    599

    Default

    A friend's branded Hessen... Doesn't really look like it.
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSC_0276.jpg



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 27, 2006
    Location
    Bethel PA
    Posts
    752

    Default

    is the age and origen of the horse known? assumably there aren't papers or the question would be redundant.

    it isn't a hessen brand. it is very similar to the holstein brand but without the scroll on top and without the 2-digit number below. these two items are so evidently absent that it would be very unlikely to have just been a 'mis-branding'.

    any other info on the horse? i had an i.d. issue with one and we ended up taking hair to europe and finally got the parentage.

    ne1



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    it isn't a hessen brand. it is very similar to the holstein brand but without the scroll on top and without the 2-digit number below. these two items are so evidently absent that it would be very unlikely to have just been a 'mis-branding'.
    ne1
    I completely agree.

    Is the photo maybe jolted/compressed?

    Btw.: You can find common brands here: http://www.horsedata.co.uk/horse_brands.htm



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2002
    Location
    Waterford, VA USA
    Posts
    4,984

    Default

    Looks like an Emil Jung brand to me.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 7, 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    83

    Default

    I know RPSI leaves the top off their brand if the sire isn't currently activated, or something like that. Do the Holsteiners do something similar?



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2008
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Looks like an Emil Jung brand to me.....
    Awfully cerebral for frozen brains this morning!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 1999
    Location
    Cypress, near Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,599

    Default

    Not saying this is the case here, but wouldn't it absolutely suck if the criminal element among in the horse world started counterfeiting brands, now???? I've seen tons of brands, but this one doesn't look like anything I have seen from a legitimate registry.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    6,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    is the age and origen of the horse known? assumably there aren't papers or the question would be redundant.

    it isn't a hessen brand. it is very similar to the holstein brand but without the scroll on top and without the 2-digit number below. these two items are so evidently absent that it would be very unlikely to have just been a 'mis-branding'.

    any other info on the horse? i had an i.d. issue with one and we ended up taking hair to europe and finally got the parentage.

    ne1

    Her name is Kiss the Sky supposed blood lines Zamiro x Miss Utopia. She is 5.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Her name is Kiss the Sky supposed blood lines Zamiro x Miss Utopia. She is 5.
    So she has papers/a passport?



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    6,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horsian View Post
    So she has papers/a passport?
    No, my friend bought her from the Virgina Sport Horse Auction and that what her old owner said, so who really knows...
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 1999
    Location
    Cypress, near Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,599

    Default

    Yeah, the seller can claim anything. Like the woman here in Texas who put a horse for consignment sale with a h/j trainer friend of mine and told her this red roan obviously QH looking gelding was an "imported Scottish warmblood." Yeah, right.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Yeah, the seller can claim anything. Like the woman here in Texas who put a horse for consignment sale with a h/j trainer friend of mine and told her this red roan obviously QH looking gelding was an "imported Scottish warmblood." Yeah, right.
    They just assumed the gelding was Scottish cause he was a red head! How rude! hehe



  18. #18

    Default

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Not saying this is the case here, but wouldn't it absolutely suck if the criminal element among in the horse world started counterfeiting brands, now????

    what if I told you I know of one woman who has already done it

    yep managed to secure an "official" branding iron and started wearing it out...
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    2,223

    Default

    The stallion you mention was supposedly KWPN registered. He's certainly not an approved Holsteiner and whatever brand is on him is a US brand since the stallion stood in VA for years.


    http://www.walnuthillfarm.net/id20.htm

    He's not a Holsteiner, nor was he Holsteiner approved but you might check with the stallion owner for more info on who bred him and what his approvals are.

    The brand does look "sort of" like a Holsteiner brand BUT it doesn't have all the parts a US brand would have and if it is, then 1) the sire listed is wrong and 2) the name given is wrong since fillies are named by year of birth and I'm not sure what letter they were on in 2004 but it wasn't K.... 2006 was W so 2004 (depending on if they skipped any letters would have been T or U.
    Last edited by JWB; Dec. 10, 2009 at 04:10 PM.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep. 27, 2000
    Location
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace
    Posts
    10,131

    Default

    Do US-registered Holsteiners get the brand with or without the squiggley thing on the top? I rode a US-born one and know he had the H inside the shield (tho my recollection is that the shield may have been shaped differently than the one in the OP) but can't remember about the squiggley thing.
    The Evil Chem Prof



Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone recognize this brand symbol?
    By justjumpit278 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov. 22, 2010, 09:51 PM
  2. Does anyone recognize this brand??
    By TyB in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep. 20, 2009, 12:25 PM
  3. Anyone recognize this brand?
    By Risk-Averse Rider in forum Off Course
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 22, 2009, 11:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness