The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone recognize this brand?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...9/skybrand.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../skybrand2.jpg

My friend bought this horse and was told it was a holsteiner, but the brand does not look exactly like it should, so any guesses?
    Last edited by Beethoven; Dec. 10, 2009 at 10:53 AM.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...9/skybrand.jpg

My friend bought this horse and was told it was a holsteiner, but the brand does not look exactly like it should, so any guesses?
    Looks to me like a botched Holsteiner brand. Maybe the horse moved while they did it!

Knock off holsteiner?
    Horse Management Apps for iPhone and Android!
    http://www.rendaivu.com
    Capital Warmbloods
    http://www.capitalwarmbloods.com

Hessen?

A friend's branded Hessen... Doesn't really look like it.
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSC_0276.jpg

is the age and origen of the horse known? assumably there aren't papers or the question would be redundant.

it isn't a hessen brand. it is very similar to the holstein brand but without the scroll on top and without the 2-digit number below. these two items are so evidently absent that it would be very unlikely to have just been a 'mis-branding'.

any other info on the horse? i had an i.d. issue with one and we ended up taking hair to europe and finally got the parentage.

ne1

Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    it isn't a hessen brand. it is very similar to the holstein brand but without the scroll on top and without the 2-digit number below. these two items are so evidently absent that it would be very unlikely to have just been a 'mis-branding'.
    ne1
    I completely agree.

Is the photo maybe jolted/compressed?

Btw.: You can find common brands here: http://www.horsedata.co.uk/horse_brands.htm

Looks like an Emil Jung brand to me.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

I know RPSI leaves the top off their brand if the sire isn't currently activated, or something like that. Do the Holsteiners do something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Looks like an Emil Jung brand to me.....
    Awfully cerebral for frozen brains this morning!

Not saying this is the case here, but wouldn't it absolutely suck if the criminal element among in the horse world started counterfeiting brands, now???? I've seen tons of brands, but this one doesn't look like anything I have seen from a legitimate registry.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    is the age and origen of the horse known? assumably there aren't papers or the question would be redundant.

any other info on the horse? i had an i.d. issue with one and we ended up taking hair to europe and finally got the parentage.

ne1

Her name is Kiss the Sky supposed blood lines Zamiro x Miss Utopia. She is 5.
    And I love to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Her name is Kiss the Sky supposed blood lines Zamiro x Miss Utopia. She is 5.
    So she has papers/a passport?

Quote Originally Posted by Horsian View Post
    So she has papers/a passport?
    No, my friend bought her from the Virgina Sport Horse Auction and that what her old owner said, so who really knows...
    And I love to run.

Yeah, the seller can claim anything. Like the woman here in Texas who put a horse for consignment sale with a h/j trainer friend of mine and told her this red roan obviously QH looking gelding was an "imported Scottish warmblood." Yeah, right.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Yeah, the seller can claim anything. Like the woman here in Texas who put a horse for consignment sale with a h/j trainer friend of mine and told her this red roan obviously QH looking gelding was an "imported Scottish warmblood." Yeah, right.
    They just assumed the gelding was Scottish cause he was a red head! How rude! hehe

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Not saying this is the case here, but wouldn't it absolutely suck if the criminal element among in the horse world started counterfeiting brands, now????

what if I told you I know of one woman who has already done it

yep managed to secure an "official" branding iron and started wearing it out...
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

The stallion you mention was supposedly KWPN registered. He's certainly not an approved Holsteiner and whatever brand is on him is a US brand since the stallion stood in VA for years.

http://www.walnuthillfarm.net/id20.htm

He's not a Holsteiner, nor was he Holsteiner approved but you might check with the stallion owner for more info on who bred him and what his approvals are.

The brand does look "sort of" like a Holsteiner brand BUT it doesn't have all the parts a US brand would have and if it is, then 1) the sire listed is wrong and 2) the name given is wrong since fillies are named by year of birth and I'm not sure what letter they were on in 2004 but it wasn't K.... 2006 was W so 2004 (depending on if they skipped any letters would have been T or U.
    Last edited by JWB; Dec. 10, 2009 at 04:10 PM.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Do US-registered Holsteiners get the brand with or without the squiggley thing on the top? I rode a US-born one and know he had the H inside the shield (tho my recollection is that the shield may have been shaped differently than the one in the OP) but can't remember about the squiggley thing.
    The Evil Chem Prof