The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default List of top stallions from WB registries?

Looking for a list of top 10% scoring stallions in their 70 or 100 day tests from WB registries? Where/how can I find it/them? Is such thing exists? How to calculate it?
    Last edited by Dressage Art; Dec. 17, 2009 at 05:11 PM.

Found this one: USEF Leading Dressage Sires List:
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/pointsA...ewCat=Dressage
    Last edited by Dressage Art; Dec. 12, 2009 at 09:39 PM.

What you're asking for is difficult to answer....

Top 10% stallions in what regard?
    Number of foals produced?
    Amount of winnings?
    Number of mares covered?
    Number of stallions produced?
    Number of offspring in the sport?
    etc. etc. etc.

I think once you decide what you're looking for then you will know which way to turn.

Good luck!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.pferd-aktuell.de/Anlage83...nt-Dressur.pdf
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Is there anywhere I can find the "winningest" stallion based on the number of foals competing in the upper levels? Kind of like Catherston Dazzler being one of the top eventing stallions because he had a really high statistic for babies going on to the upper levels?

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    I think once you decide what you're looking for then you will know which way to turn.
    It seems that I can breed my mare to any WB stallion if this stallion is in the top 10% of its breeding registry and still be able to register my mare in her own stud book (SWB). But Im having a hard time figuring out where to find that list of top 10% - thus my question.

I already figured out top 5 SWB stallions to put on my list, but want to see who is out there in other registries for my mare.

I'm new to breeding and I'm trying to figure out how to select a stallion for my mare. I have to say, it quite a learning curve!

Wow - That's sort of an ambiguous rule.... BWP has a much more straight forward rule about outside stallions but I still run every outside thought by them!

Dressage&Rhinestones Guest

I'm assuming SWB = Swedish Warmblood.

http://www.swanaoffice.org/

There is a list of stallions on there. And based on SWB horses I know, Dancier and Rotspon foals will also be accepted.

I don't know where this top 10% list is, your best bet is to contact SWANA or a SWB breeder in your area about stallions you're interested in using.

Yes, Im aware of SWB stallion list... but SWANA will also register foals of stallions from OTHER registries, even they are not SWANA stallions and not on SWANA list. But they have to be in top stallions 10% of their registries...

I thought that I can get a faster answer here, but I'll email SWANA where I can get that list to look at.

By the way, here is another ranking:
    http://www.wbfsh.org/?GB/Rankings/St...ng%202009.aspx

I breed my SWB mares all the time and register with SWANA. Never had to worry about the top 10% you're mentioning. Just send an e-mail to J.E. or Carol - they are super to work with and are great at getting back to you re: stallions that would result in a registered SWANA foal. Typically, the stallions approved in the major associations (I've used stallions from KWPN-NA and AHS so far) are approved to breed to SWB mares regardless of their % placing within their respective association.
    ~Christina~ Keur-Wood Stables
    Breeders of Dutch and Swedish Warmbloods
    Standing approved Buckskin Swedish Warmblood Stallion, CATAPULT
    http://www.superiorwarmblood.com

Good to know that. Im thinking of breeding to a Dutch satallion/s and they are not registered with SWANA at all. I heard that I'll have to pay $75 to compensate for that to register future foal with SWANA. Is that your experience as well?

Most registries charge you a premium to use an outside stallion that is not activated or approved with them. Some won't permit the breeding at all unless they have been approved by that registry.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Most registries charge you a premium to use an outside stallion that is not activated or approved with them. Some won't permit the breeding at all unless they have been approved by that registry.
    Yes, the premium I think is $75 and some outside stallions are permited for use in SWANA, but I was told that those stallions should be in top 10% of their registries - as a rule of thumb. Thus my convoluted question of how to figure them out???

I narrowed my outside stallion search to 4 stallions (for now) and emailed SWANA.

I have 6 SWANA approved stallions on my current list as well. I'm reading their contracts for fresh semen with LFG now... lots to learn about.

It will be supper difficult for me to narrow my list down... from 10 to 1! They are all so good!

The WBFSH lists the top stallions by discipline based on offspring competing in upper level sport. www.wbfsh.org Go to the rankings list. They also rank the studbooks and the riders.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Actually the riders list is not there. Don't remember where that is. Haven't seen it for a while.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

yes, interesting list, but most if not all stallions are non US. And I want to breed only with fresh semen and with LFG since I'm a first time breeder and my mare is a maiden at 11 years old. So Ill probably will breed to US stallion.

Have you gotten a reply from the SWANA office yet? What about sending them your short list and let them tell you which stallions were acceptable?

The USEF have a ranking of stallions too. As far as which ones are US based you just have to see where they are on the list. They have ones in jumping, dressage, hunter, hunter breeding and dressage breeding. The breeding ones can have younger stallions but the other ones have to have old enough and enough offspring out there competing in sport to make the top of those lists. Thus you see a lot more of the Europe based stallions or older ones imported from Europe at the top of the lists.

Bless you for wanting a US based stallion! We do need to support our stallions in the USA as there is a lot of good ones.

Go to www.usef.org select points and standings, then select 2009 Points for this years standings, then Leading Sires. After that you can look at the leading sires for each discipline. It is an interesting list to go through. It will vary year to year, so check out the older years too. It just depends which of their offspring are competing. You can also click on the sire and see which of the offspring were contributing to the ranking.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    Good to know that. Im thinking of breeding to a Dutch satallion/s and they are not registered with SWANA at all. I heard that I'll have to pay $75 to compensate for that to register future foal with SWANA. Is that your experience as well?
    If you ask J.E. and Carol really nicely , they usually waive the "research" fee, especially if the stallion is in the KWPN-NA or AHS books (which are the only 2 I've used so far).
    ~Christina~ Keur-Wood Stables
    Breeders of Dutch and Swedish Warmbloods
    Standing approved Buckskin Swedish Warmblood Stallion, CATAPULT
    http://www.superiorwarmblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Gaits View Post
    Bless you for wanting a US based stallion! We do need to support our stallions in the USA as there is a lot of good ones
    I really want one from US, since I like to support my country (my cars are all US cars as well and so on) BUT, it is really hard to compare US stallions. Europe has a much easier set up on their WebPages with all of the indexes and lists ready with the click of a button.

Seems to me that US is really lagging behind in user-friendly stallion selection!