The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I really dont' like winter!

Its miserable out there today, snow ice rain, wind and COLD! Temps are expected to be BELOW normal for the next 7 days. With no indoor to ride in we are stuck, and I hate to miss our barn time, it makes me cranky. Our barn is not enclosed ( which I never really bothered to care about until this winter) so we can't even just "play" with the ponies in the aisle its just too cold. Spring can't arrive soon enough to suit me!
    I am now on a search for indoor rental time close to home, I sent out a few emails and I am waiting for responses hopefully we will find some where to ride by the weekend ( wind chills in the teens on thursday and friday around here ) !!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Poor baby. In my part of the world, we look forward to what passes for winter--think a nice upper Midwest October day--crisp, sunny--that's an average winter day here. Bugs mostly gone. Right now we are looking at wind gusts up to 30 mph or greater, but the rain squalls went thru, the tornado watch is done, and I think I'm gonna go ride because with the front moving on it will probably get colder than it is right now (60s) as the day wears on.

In the next few days we are going to have lows in the 20s and highs only in the fifties. BRRRRRR!

I like cold weather BUT this 16* is too cold for me - chores will be a struggle for several days ~ all layers on now. Hate frozen water buckets - doesn't happen often so I don't have the heated ones but for a couple of days I will be playing in ice ! ARUGH !!!! Just too cold to ride in the woods today !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I'm not very fond of winter either. Although I do feel bad complaining about the cold here in FL. I can't stand when it gets below 70 and overnight lows in the 40s, ugh! Next time I complain about it being so cold, I will think of you struggling to even ride because of snow/ice/freezing temps and realize it could be worse.
    Hope your weather clears up soon - or you find an indoor. Oh, and yes, BRING ON SPRING ALREADY!!

I, too, hate winter. Unfortunately for me, my entire family lives in either Iowa or Minnesota, for the most part. I'm stuck here for life (cause my fiance won't move - he loves the weather way too much and has family obligations).

I'm SO VERY VERY THANKFUL that this recent storm pounded on Iowa (sorry Iowa Cothers... but we ALWAYS get the snow here) and not Minnesota, least with regards to the snow amounts. But, it's like 9 degrees out right now with windchills already about -10, and it's only supposed to get worse.

I just feel bad for my horses. Gringo will survive... but Gus? Well, thankfully he's in his midweight, but doesn't have his neck cover on cause I didn't think it was gonna get this cold so fast (weatherman didn't predict us to get as cold as we are). So he'll have to survive until tomorrow, when I can get out and put on his blanket liner (bringing the "fill" to about ~430g) and his neck cover.

Ughh. Only 4 more months of this crap, if we're lucky.

Did I say I hate winter? (Love riding in the snow though when it's a balmy 30 ish degrees and no wind and lotsa sun ).
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

But think of all the JOYS of winter . . . .

No pesky bugs. The mud is all frozen, so no ponies needing baths due to playing in the 2 ft. mud hole, and rolling in the snow is as great as a hose when it comes to getting off what little dirt may accumulate. You're not a sweating mess when you finish riding. The ponies look SO PRETTY against the snowy white background, lots of great photo ops. All those winter clothes hide the evils of Thanksgiving and Christmas snacking. Shoveling snow is good for building up those arm muscles.

So, on that note, I will somehow sacrifice my own comfort, load up my mare, and generously swap homes/stalls for the winter with some poor person who is stuck in Florida, Arizona, Southern California, or the like. I will even leave behind my wonderful, winter-loving husband, who will be more than happy to show you the joys of skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, sliding around in the car at 10 mph because the roads are covered in 3 inches of ice (but look how they sparkle!). Since the barn is an hour from my home, you most likely will get to experience the joy of having to be pulled out of the ditch at some point, but you will meet some very nice people this way!

I will anxiously be awaiting your PMs, along with directions to your warm, sunny dwellings.
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Quote Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post

No pesky bugs. The mud is all frozen, so no ponies needing baths due to playing in the 2 ft. mud hole, and rolling in the snow is as great as a hose when it comes to getting off what little dirt may accumulate. You're not a sweating mess when you finish riding. The ponies look SO PRETTY against the snowy white background, lots of great photo ops. All those winter clothes hide the evils of Thanksgiving and Christmas snacking. Shoveling snow is good for building up those arm muscles.

So, on that note, I will somehow sacrifice my own comfort, load up my mare, and generously swap homes/stalls for the winter with some poor person who is stuck in Florida, Arizona, Southern California, or the like. I will even leave behind my wonderful, winter-loving husband, who will be more than happy to show you the joys of skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, sliding around in the car at 10 mph because the roads are covered in 3 inches of ice (but look how they sparkle!). Since the barn is an hour from my home, you most likely will get to experience the joy of having to be pulled out of the ditch at some point, but you will meet some very nice people this way!

I will anxiously be awaiting your PMs, along with directions to your warm, sunny dwellings.
    Ohhh... I'm game too. For whomever "down south" wants to swap out for the season. And none of you N. GA/TN/etc peeps that still get the crappy weather (cause I lived there for three years and know that you still get the ice and occassional snow storms). I'll swap for someone in AZ who doesn't EVER get snow (like Phoenix) or So. Cal or southern FL. Except... I want to continue paying what I do for board... tis' probably way cheaper then what you all pay , given the location and everything. Heck, I'd almost move to Alaska... cause if you're right along the ocean (forget what area) but I think they have better weather then we do in MN.

Ughh. I really do hate the cold weather.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

You guys want cold? Try western Canada - the prairie provinces (and down into the Dakotas and Montana) are blanketed in 20 below and colder with nasty windchills.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Oh my gosh LMAO!!! That is exactly how I feel and I would also trade in a heartbeat!!!! We live on top of a mountain and as I left to drive my older dd to school today and pick up the little girl I babysit for, I started to slide down the mountain, I pulled in the neighbors drive and TURNED AROUND, the kids had a 2 hour delay and the teacher I sit for called in sick so we are home baking christmas cookies! No ponies to ride but at least we are safe!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

ROFL, me too on wanting to swap locations with someone in a warm area! We are in deep freeze and expecting blizzard mode.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Well, I wish that was winter here, unfortunately it's rain and mud, rain and mud, rain and mud, wind and rain and mud, cold and wind and rain and mud. and mud. and more mud.

Did I mention we get mud? I really, really, REALLY hate the mud. And what sucks is I have a BEAUTIFUL weed free pasture with nice thick 10 inch tall grass, but I can't turn them out in it because it SODDEN and they will tear it up and then there will be NO grass. Sooooo frustrating!!! I want them on grass but then I want to save the grass but it's never gonna get dry enough for them to go out there!

We have the bottom pasture open and round bales out, but the bottom pasture is crying "For the love of all PLEASE SHUT THE GATE TO ME I NEED A BREAK!"
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Sorry no trading here. I've been living in Idaho for the past year and am more than greatful for the beautiful 70* here in GA. Everytime I look at the forecast for where I've been, it's in the negatives. Brrrr. No thank you.

Although a little bit of sunshine would be nice. Darn arena's are flooded from all the rain. Oh well. At least I get to wear short sleeves and give the horsies baths tonight! They need it.

I am hating this week as this is the longest I have gone without riding in a year (4+ days). The reason: -10 to -20 degree temps....before windchill! And I live in beautiful breezy Colorado so its pretty windy right now making the windchill pretty considerable. Ugh! Even with the indoor arena I don't think I should ride as it only gains us about 10-15 degrees (it isn't insulated which normally isn't a big deal) and I don't want to hurt my lungs or my horse's lungs by working them in such cold temps. I will tough it out through quite a lot but this is a bit much for me. Even blanketed I am worried about the horses a little as this is just waaay colder than they are used to. Thankfully I think it is supposed to warm up in the next few days....to near freezing.
    My blog:

RAWR

No pesky bugs.
    True.

The mud is all frozen, so no ponies needing baths due to playing in the 2 ft. mud hole, and rolling in the snow is as great as a hose when it comes to getting off what little dirt may accumulate.
    This doesn't apply when 1) the mud isn't frozen yet and 2)this morning's HEAVY rain washed away what was left of the snow.

You're not a sweating mess when you finish riding.
    Unless your greenbean doesn't approve of cold weather and shows his displeasure by doing more crowhopping than anything else. Did I mention this happens when you're layered up in lots of thermals that you *thought* you'd need because he's usually not so much work?

The ponies look SO PRETTY against the snowy white background, lots of great photo ops.
    This is true.

All those winter clothes hide the evils of Thanksgiving and Christmas snacking. Shoveling snow is good for building up those arm muscles.
    Again, true. You forgot to mention that in the spring, when you're only wearing one layer of clothes instead of four or five (and two of those layers are fleeces hidden under a heavy coat and/or a Carhartt) that everyone thinks you're magically thinner.

All that said, I'd rather have seasons than just sunshine all the time. Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    ROFL, me too on wanting to swap locations with someone in a warm area! We are in deep freeze and expecting blizzard mode.

Out me down also. It is 20 degrees and the wing is awful.

I kind of like winter to be honest. Not so much when I can't be dressed in coveralls and muck boots with hat and scarf--ie: back and forth to the office, running errands, etc. But I have a blast with the horses in the winter.

More fun than two adult women should have.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_dxQiaLdI

My mare the saint.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjIYBCKO-I
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I kind of like winter to be honest. Not so much when I can't be dressed in coveralls and muck boots with hat and scarf--ie: back and forth to the office, running errands, etc. But I have a blast with the horses in the winter.

More fun than two adult women should have.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_dxQiaLdI

My mare the saint.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjIYBCKO-I
    We need to hang out sometime!

Ha! It hasn't been above freezing here in a week and it's not supposed to until later next week!!
    It's been in the negatives and the single digits at night here all week! Today high is 15! Yesterday's was 12!
    Thankfully the wind has been light, and the sun in shining!
    No barn or arena at our place, but at least with it being this cold there is no mud!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

We've really had a mild winter thus far here in MI. Last year by this time, we had over a foot of snow on the ground and had been through a few storms already. Normally snows at least a little by Halloween. Not this year!

Yesterday was really our first snow to stick and even then, there's not that much out there. We're waiting to get "hit" by this storm but so far, it's just cold and windy. Temp is dropping like a lead balloon.

The neat thing is that this year I have a huge lovely indoor to use! YAY ME! Now, if I could just find some time to get to the barn!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

And I thought it was miserable here, with highs in the 40s and 50s!

I used to ride in the high 40s; now the 50s feel too cold to me.

And even today, in the low 60s, the wind was so strong that it felt colder than it was.

But the no-bug comments are true--it is wonderful to not have bugs, of any size and leg-number.

I wish we could stay in the 60s - 70s year round, with low humidity.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique