The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Closed Front Turnout Blanket

Does anyone know a good place to get one? I'd like to stay away from Schneider's due to the recent thread about their crazy return policies and poor customer service. Has anyone heard of "The Equestrian Corner"?

I have apparently purchased a houdini (aka my new horse, Elvis). The only blanket/sheet that he hasn't got out of so far is a Rider's International Supreme Turnout Sheet. But, he has managed to rip most of the binding off from his many attempts to get out of it.

Although he measures a 78", the shoulders are too tight, so I'd like to go with an 80". I'd like it to be a mid-weight (no more than 200 grams of fill), water-proof and breathable and at least 1000 Denier.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Does he really NEED a blanket? Will he be shivering and miserable if he's not blanketed? If not, then leave him be. I know it's fun to dress them up, but if the horse simply won't put up with it, why sacrifice blankets to try to change his mind?

Rambo makes closed fronts for their "quarter horse" line. I like the fit; it has a much bigger shoulder area. My horse measures a 78" and the 80 fits him great. Awesome quality and wasn't nearly as expensive as the wug line. Actually it was under $100 because it was on close out. Maybe you'll find something like that! I'd give you a link, but I already know my source is sold out because I wanted second one after seeing it!

I've got Schneiders closed front blankets. I've had good experiences with them.

I know that Schneider's has a closed from turn out but you couldn't pay me to deal with them again!

I think he'd have a harder time getting out of a Rambo because of the way the front fastened and it also Velcros in a certain way. Or a blanket like the Wug or Dover's Northwind, they have clips on the front instead of buckles.

But if they horse really wont wear blankets maybe you could just let him go bare. If he has shelter and some hay to munch on it shouldn't be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by suniday View Post
    Does anyone know a good place to get one? I'd like to stay away from Schneider's due to the recent thread about their crazy return policies and poor customer service.
    Really? I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I called them a few weeks ago about my turnout sheets which have lost *all* waterproofing, and they are having them picked up so they can analyze what's going on. But even that is the first time I've had trouble with any of their jammies.

Although he measures a 78", the shoulders are too tight, so I'd like to go with an 80".
    Longer doesn't make the shoulder any looser You need a different model/style altogether. I found Rider's to be more snug in the shoulders than, say, the older Millers Everest blankets (how I miss those!!!) and even some of the Schneider's models.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

He was out of a Rambo in 1 day (he had 1 buckle undone) and 2 hours (the next day)! I am going to try the Rhino in the regular neck as it has the clips.

It seems that it was just a few years ago that you could easily find closed front turn-out blankets.

If I wasn't planning to ride/show him this winter he WOULD be naked. He has such a gorgeous unclipped short coat right now that I don't want to lose it nor do I want to clip him if I don't have to.

Thanks again!